329 members have voted

1. 1. Tips for Children / Young People

• No tips for children under 5 yrs old
    • No tips for children under 12 yrs old
    • No tips for children under 16 yrs old
    • Reduced 50% tip rate for children under 5 yrs old
    • Reduced 50% tip rate for children under 12 yrs old
    • Reduced 50% tip rate for children under 16 yrs old
    • Every person cruising no matter what age should pay at least current suggested tip rates

Why did they insist you do it and not themselves or was that just phrased oddly?

How was it phrased oddly?:confused:

Perhaps you mean the teens should pay the extra out of their own pocket? The parents were most likely paying all the "freight".:D

Seems an overwhelming percentage of people (80%) who answered the poll agree full tips are in order for children.

Is the question settled?

Maybe the question is settled for the OP but tips in general will never be settled. At least not until the cruise lines all somehow make it a daily service and don't call them tips/gratuities and the service charge cannot be removed.

There are hotels that now have a daily service charge and extra tips can be given. I wonder how many people want to remove or reduce the charge?

Perhaps you mean the teens should pay the extra out of their own pocket? The parents were most likely paying all the "freight".:D

Thanks for interpreting :) Once they're gainfully employed, we'll make them pay their own way. ;) Hmmm...maybe they can pay our way as well!!

That's what I sort of suspected but wasn't sure if I was misreading. I think it's probably easier for a kid to like their room staff and reward with someone else's money. Whenever I have access to expense accounts things seem so much easier to buy [emoji1]

That's what I sort of suspected but wasn't sure if I was misreading. I think it's probably easier for a kid to like their room staff and reward with someone else's money. Whenever I have access to expense accounts things seem so much easier to buy [emoji1]

Interesting comment after reading your offerings on the thread that inspired this one.

Interesting comment after reading your offerings on the thread that inspired this one.

Yep, I'm a heavy tipper for those that provide me service. I just make sure the tip goes direct to them. If you tipped like I tipped you'd be crying about not being able to afford the vacation!

We pay our gratuites up front before we cruise eventhough we have a set dining time.

We also tip our room attendants extra, waiter, assistant waiter, and sommilier extra, as well as carrying around dollar bills for the bar staff. These people work hard, and we reward them for their wonderful service. We have never had anyone look after us that we wouldn't tip over the pre-paid gratuites.

They are not rolled into the price so TA's or the cruise line itsself can offer to pay them for you. See Celebrity's 123go promotions, or a major on-line TA's almost constant offer to pay gratuities.

With regards to children they need the same services as most adults, so why would one not pay gratuities?

If a room is squeezing in more than 2 passengers, no matter what the age, it is a harder room to service, and takes more time. Everyone should pay up in full.

JMHO

Cheers, h

PS; never heard of the OP before this thread, under any alias, so I am completely unbiased in my opinion, and ammused by the detour the thread took.:D

Yep, I'm a heavy tipper for those that provide me service. I just make sure the tip goes direct to them. If you tipped like I tipped you'd be crying about not being able to afford the vacation!

Do you think that you are the only one with an expense account who is not afraid to use it!:p

Still a lot of people think tips shouldn't be 100% for children though.

On a ship of 4000, 20% is still 800 people with this view.

:)

Sad, isn't it, that there are still people who think that way. :(

Hopefully there are always enough people with a generous heart who will give additional to their attendants, which will cover the shortfall from the cheapskates.

Edited by fortinweb

Hopefully there are always enough people with a generous heart who will give additional to their attendants, which will cover the shortfall from the cheapskates.

That makes it sound like tip guilt

I got involved with this thread through an immediate precursor thread ("Tip ?") on the RCI boards. The very first post on that thread (by someone who would be sailing with a 3 year old and 16 month old TWINS) included

"So are they charging the tip just because there will be diapers in the garbage? Ridiculous. Are these tips able to be removed? If so I will be doing so and not because I'm a jerk or cheap."

My immediate thought (confirmed IMO by additional posts) was, you're correct: you are not a jerk OR cheap, you are a jerk AND cheap.:eek:

I notice that the percentage for full tips keeps gradually increasing, despite the skewed way the poll was represented.

Wow - I have to say - I couldn't vote in this pole because it doesn't show up on my app - but I did write that I don't like having to pay guaranteed tips for my kids upfront. Since I would consider deviated from the recommended amounts (what it they ate in our room only? The steward would deserve more than the waitstaff? Or what if we put the do not disturb sign up for 3 days because of kids napping so the steward didn't have to deal with the mess they made daily?) I am now not a 'good person' or 'doing the right thing' or 'generous' because I would have voted that tip shouldn't be required ahead of time for MTD or that kids should be lower for guaranteed tips. That seems a little inappropriate to suggest about everyone who wouldn't vote 'yes - I do as I am told'...

I have to say - I am definitely offended that people could be so disrespectful to a pretty sizable group of 20%...not all of us are the OP with past history that deserve the negative connotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes its very sad, but not to worry. Its ticktoneer math being used. The pole is not for a full ship but CC members. So on a ship of 4000 there might be 5% cc members which is only 200 people. 20% of 200 is just40 people or 1% of 4000.

Ticktoneer math- 800

Real time math-40

Edited by setsail

I have to say - I am definitely offended that people could be so disrespectful to a pretty sizable group of 20%...not all of us are the OP with past history that deserve the negative connotation.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...... :rolleyes:

The cruise lines have instituted a policy they believe is fair and equitable for everyone. Over 80% of the poll responders also believe this. But, as always, there will be a few - less than 20% in this case - who think they know better than everyone else and will do whatever they want. It matters not to them who get's penalized, just as long as they themselves benefit.

If this offends you, too bad. I have my opinion, and that is that people should be fair to the staff, and that anyone who leave less is only thinking of themselves. And frankly, I don't care if you disagree.

And I am definitely offended that "a pretty sizable group of 20%" would be so disrespectful towards the hard working staff by thinking they don't deserve tips for cleaning up after the children.

And I am definitely offended that "a pretty sizable group of 20%" would be so disrespectful towards the hard working staff by thinking they don't deserve tips for cleaning up after the children.

Just because we don't agree doesn't mean you get to be mean - that's my issue. We are all entitled to opinions on policies but we are not supposed to personally attack those who don't agree.

The cruise lines instituted the rules because it helps with those around the world that don't understand tipping. They call them recommended amounts - that means they are not actually expected to be one size fits all.

I never said I wouldn't be tipping 12$ a day old or each kid - just that the mandated amounts shouldn't be as high. (Frankly - I feel this way about adults too - I want to reward the actual hard working employees that make MY trip special and I don't always have the budget to do that if it's all going to the tip pool).

Wow - I have to say - I couldn't vote in this pole because it doesn't show up on my app - but I did write that I don't like having to pay guaranteed tips for my kids upfront. Since I would consider deviated from the recommended amounts (what it they ate in our room only? The steward would deserve more than the waitstaff? Or what if we put the do not disturb sign up for 3 days because of kids napping so the steward didn't have to deal with the mess they made daily?) I am now not a 'good person' or 'doing the right thing' or 'generous' because I would have voted that tip shouldn't be required ahead of time for MTD or that kids should be lower for guaranteed tips. That seems a little inappropriate to suggest about everyone who wouldn't vote 'yes - I do as I am told'...

Question for you, do you feel any different about having to pre-pay tips for yourself or other adults in your party?

Personally, and yes this is my opinion, it should not matter whether the passenger is 8 months old, 8 years old, 80 years old, or anywhere in between. The person is getting services from the staff and the same rules should apply to all.

As has been stated in previous comments by many, quite often the staff often goes above and beyond for the youngest of the passengers from my experience.

It isn't necessary to pay it ahead of time. Pay your bill at the end of the cruise.

Of course, 'pay your bills' ,should actually not need to be mentioned......

It isn't necessary to pay it ahead of time. Pay your bill at the end of the cruise.

Of course, 'pay your bills' ,should actually not need to be mentioned......

Per RCI, It cannot be paid at the end of the cruise with MTD. (Seems odd because we could still have random waitstaff if we don't eat in the MDR).

Again - I have no issues with Tipping those that assist us, but I don't like that it's a mandated breakout for adults or children. I wouldn't even mind if we paid the 12$ but got the opportunity to reallocate it differently if needed (hard to say what is needed before any given cruise!). Since that's not an option it seems, I would prefer the tips be reduced so we could then add to those who do go above and beyond.

I also like being able to give our tip to our room steward in person and saying thank you. It's handled now as a service charge and not as a 'thank you'. It feels cold and impersonal to prepay like a tax.

Just because we don't agree doesn't mean you get to be mean

So, if someone has a different opinion than yours, they are being "mean"? :eek:

What difference does it make if you pay in advance - which we do by choice - or pay at the end? It should all be the same amount either way. If you insist on removing the auto tips and controlling who gets the tips, you are only defeating the purpose since all cash tips MUST be turned over to the tipping pool if a person has removed those tips, and everyone who would have gotten their share with auto tips still get's it.

This has been documents in so many threads that it is no longer debatable.