Wine Bottles - I want to make sure I have this correct

mouseterd1

I think I understand, but want to make sure. I have read HAL's fine print on the website and hope it is still current practice.

Each person in the cabin can bring aboard 1 x 750ml bottle of wine with no charge upon embarkation and only at embarkation for free.

At that time of boarding or any other time re-boarding, if you choose to bring on any other wine bottles, you will be charged a corkage fee upon boarding of $18US per bottle....and that bottle can then be drunk in your room, or dining room, or at any other public bar location. If that is the case, then HAL has the same 'rules' as Princess does.

For 30 nights, I may wish to bring on board at least 12 extra bottles. I would have them secured in a box with me upon boarding.

Not a bad deal....if it works like that. We like our wine and usually can drink a bottle a night between two people at dinner. For other nights we will order from the wine listing and pay more...therefore our 'habit' will average down somewhat. :D

Thank you.

Yes, you have it right. The only thing I will add is that the "free" bottle you bring on had to consumed in your room - otherwise it too will be subject to corkage fee. And don't take the stickers off the bottle when you pay. They identify you have paid and avoid being charged corkage again.

We bring on wine too, especially in Europe and it is worth it for us and still use the MDR wine listing at dinner;)

have a great cruise:D

What about bringing on wine at some mid-way port that you want to take home, not drink onboard. For instance, there is a port in a good wine region and you want to get a few bottles that are not sold at home. Can you have them put away the way liquor is, to be delivered to your cabin at the end, without paying the corkage ?

What about bringing on wine at some mid-way port that you want to take home' date=' not drink onboard. For instance, there is a port in a good wine region and you want to get a few bottles that are not sold at home. Can you have them put away the way liquor is, to be delivered to your cabin at the end, without paying the corkage ?[/quote']

Yes.

You are 100% correct in your assumption. Just remember that your carry on wine will be getting stickered to show that you have paid corkage. You'll need to be able to open the box in which you are carrying your wine. Don't go crazy with packing tape.

I'm boarding in San Diego for 30 nights.

Question - Can we board with our suitcase/s, then get off to make a "wine run"....of course, ensuring that we are back well before sailing time.

And can anyone tell me a close by store to purchase wine at the San Diego port? I'll just be looking to purchase inexpensive California reds...basically the cheaper the better to have the $18 corkage applied. I'll save import/other reds for purchase at the dining table every so many nights during the cruise. My cost averaging method!!! LOL [hopefully, no one gets me wrong when I say cheap California reds --- but they are, when you are Canadian - you should see what they sell for in Canada!]

Question - Can we board with our suitcase/s, then get off to make a "wine run"....of course, ensuring that we are back well before sailing time.

And can anyone tell me a close by store to purchase wine at the San Diego port? I'll just be looking to purchase inexpensive California reds...basically the cheaper the better to have the $18 corkage applied. I'll save import/other reds for purchase at the dining table every so many nights during the cruise. My cost averaging method!!! LOL [hopefully, no one gets me wrong when I say cheap California reds --- but they are, when you are Canadian - you should see what they sell for in Canada!]

You can definitely get off to make a wine run.

Sorry, I don't know San Diego well enough to tell you if a wine store is close by. Are you taking a cab to get to the port? A lot of the stores (like Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale) have websites and you can order in advance and just pick up. If you can find something on line on the way to the port, you could ask the cab to do a quick stop and just pick it up.

Trust me, I hear you on cheap versus Canadian prices :)

And can anyone tell me a close by store to purchase wine at the San Diego port? I'll just be looking to purchase inexpensive California reds...basically the cheaper the better to have the $18 corkage applied. I'll save import/other reds for purchase at the dining table every so many nights during the cruise.]

Unless I misunderstand you, you math logic is not correct.

Let's assume for sake of argument, you bought a bottle of wine that is really cheap @ $1 per bottle. With your $18 corkage fee, 95% of the total cost of your wine would be corkage fee.

Now lets go to an other extreme and assume that you buy a $1000 per bottle wine. With this wine, your corkage fee would be only 1.7% of the total cost of the wine.

So based on only corkage fees, you are better off buying more expensive wine.

This discussion totally ignores the comparison of the land cost of the wine with corkage fee as versus the on-board marked up price w/o a corkage fee. You need to create an Excel spread sheets comparing land costs versus ship costs for specific wines to include this in the comparison.

DON

Cheap doesn't mean plonk, necessarily. May favourite wine is inexpensive, and even with adding the $18 corkage fee, it comes in way less expensive than buying an equivalent on the ship.

There's a Rite Aid just a few blocks away. They have decent wines, IME and IMHO :) At the corner of Kettner and Ash.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cruise+Ship+Terminal,+North+Harbor+Drive,+San+Diego,+CA/1411+Kettner+Blvd,+San+Diego,+CA+92101,+USA/@32.7187382,-117.1742857,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d954aca9ecb9c9:0x6fed643b4482ecd5!2m2!1d-117.174962!2d32.717686!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d954ac3810cf55:0x83717ba1d9706725!2m2!1d-117.168996!2d32.720051!3e2?hl=en-US

Edited by CowPrincess

less than 1 mile away from cruise terminal in San Diego is the Wine Bank. http://sdwinebank.com

2 stories and excellent selection

great tips. I am noting and taking advantage when we are in San Diego. thank you both:D

the wine person didn't have stickers so she wrote down every wine we brought, 10 bottles but never sent the list to the front desk for charging our cabin. After 2 days I spoke to the cellar master and he arranged for the charge to be put on our account and delivered some plain red stickers. It would have been much simpler to charge us each night in the dining room. I think the new system is cumbersome. I would prefer to have the wine delivered with the luggage.