Truvia / Stevia?

kahoosbt

Can anyone who has been on a recent Celebrity cruise tell me whether they stock Truvia / Stevia sweetener packets yet? I found some threads asking this (and the answer was they did not), but the posts were all from quite a while ago. I'm hoping they have started carrying it now, since for a lot of people--like me--it's the only non-sugar sweetener they will use.

Any recent updates would be appreciated. If they still do not carry it, I'll bring some of my own.

Thanks!

Shelley

Pis there some reason one shouldn't use the pink ones?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe it contains Saccharin. Proven to cause cancer in lab animals, provided they drink about a bathtub full each day for 20 years.

I believe it contains Saccharin. Proven to cause cancer in lab animals, provided they drink about a bathtub full each day for 20 years.

Proven, not. A normal internet phenonema. Bon Jour, my French model :)

Mmore than 30 human studies have been completed and found that the results found in rats did not translate to humans, making saccharin safe for human consumption. The reason for this may be that the original study gave the rats an amount that was hundreds of times higher than "normal" ingestion for humans. In 2000, the National Toxicology Program (NTP) of the National Institutes of Health concluded that saccharin should be removed from the list of potential carcinogens. The warning has now been removed from saccharin-containing products. Out of the five FDA-approved artificial sweeteners, saccharin is often chosen to be the safest.

Pis there some reason one shouldn't use the pink ones?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

lots of evidence that the stuff is a major cancer causer when used in high amounts on regular basis.

in actuality, moderate use of real sugar is still far safer , better and healthier than any of the fake ones out there for most people.

Stevia/Nuvia is still too 'new' and thus not mainstream enough for those who want a less chemical alternative.

lots of evidence that the stuff is a major cancer causer when used in high amounts on regular basis.

in actuality, moderate use of real sugar is still far safer , better and healthier than any of the fake ones out there for most people.

Stevia/Nuvia is still too 'new' and thus not mainstream enough for those who want a less chemical alternative.

There is evidence that the "pink" stuff (saccharin) is a cause of cancer in laboratory mice when consumed in HUGE quantities. It's something outrageous like the equivalent of drinking thousands of cans of diet soda (with saccharin) every day for a lifetime.

Moderate use of real sugar may be safer, better or healthier - in your opinion.

Greetings

Haven't seen it on Celebrity yet. It's the only thing my SO will use so she always brings a supply.

I use the pink stuff, not too worried about. I never touch sugar, I prefer to consume my carb calories in the form of alcohol :).

Good Sailing

Tom

Proven, not. A normal internet phenonema. Bon Jour, my French model :)

Mmore than 30 human studies have been completed and found that the results found in rats did not translate to humans, making saccharin safe for human consumption. The reason for this may be that the original study gave the rats an amount that was hundreds of times higher than "normal" ingestion for humans. In 2000, the National Toxicology Program (NTP) of the National Institutes of Health concluded that saccharin should be removed from the list of potential carcinogens. The warning has now been removed from saccharin-containing products. Out of the five FDA-approved artificial sweeteners, saccharin is often chosen to be the safest.

That's pretty much what my "sarcastic" post was about. When it was all revealed about the test, it was(as you stated)not applicable to humans.

Stevia is NOT a chemical, it is a natural substance just like sugar (from the stevia plant). But it a much higher concentration of sweetness so less is needed, so fewer calories (2t. sugar=30 calories; 2t. stevia=5 calories) Not a huge difference but every little bit helps.