any chance of making a 10:30am flight in FLL

S.S.Oceanlover

Will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess on 4/18 and will heading to the airport on the 25th.

Any chance we could make a 10:30am flight or is it too risky?

Bill

Hi Bill - this thread does not directly answer your question, but should provide some useful information until you do get a direct answer:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2149360

Also - in addition to the Caribbean Princess, these ships are in port that day: Independence OTS; Liberty OTS; Oasis OTS; Royal Princess

Will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess on 4/18 and will heading to the airport on the 25th.

Any chance we could make a 1);30am flight or is it too risky?

Bill

Assuming that

the ship is not delayed and

you are off the ship with the first group and there are not too many ships arriving so you have enough taxis and

there are enough customs agents to handle the traffic load and

the checkin and security lines at FLL are not too long,

there is a pretty good chance that you will make it.

If it were me, however, I would not chance it. I do not need stress at the end of a cruise and I can not see rushing off the ship. I do not mind sitting around the airport for a while as I always have enough books on my Kindle to keep me busy.

DON

We had a 10:20 am flight on Dec 27 and made it with time to spare. It was not our choice as the airline had changed our flight time, but we chose to keep this time instead of leaving later in the afternoon.

We chose the first walk off group & got to our designated area 30 minutes early and sat near the door where we would be disembarking. We were in the first 6 people to walk off & made it through customs and to the taxi line very quickly. There were lots of taxis lined up & no wait.

It was nice to get to the airport ahead of the crowd & be at our gate & ready to leave with plenty of time to spare - think we made it by 8:30 or sooner to our gate having checked in & gone through security.

I realize that if customs had not been cooperative, it could have resulted in a much different experience, but everything was fine for us.

We have made it with no problems twice. You must carry off your luggage with the first group and grab a cab. On November 30 we made great time through customs and made it to the airport by 8:25. It is risky though because of customs. A few weeks ago they only had one agent on duty and many folks missed their flights.

Others have direct experience with this question, but here are Princess' guidelines:

Flight Guidelines: Ft. Lauderdale

Embarking Passengers

Latest International Flight Arrival for Ft. Lauderdale: 2 hours and 15 minutes prior to ship's departure

Latest Domestic Flight Arrival for Ft. Lauderdale: 1 hour and 30 minutes prior to ship's departure

Latest International Flight Arrival for Miami: 3 hours and 30 minutes prior to ship's departure

Latest Domestic Flight Arrival for Miami: 2 hours and 30 minutes prior to ship's departure

Disembarking Passengers (Effective for Voyages Departing Prior to October 23, 2012)

Earliest International Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 5 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival

Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 4 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival

Earliest International Flight Departure for Miami: 7 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival

Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Miami: 6 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival

Disembarking Passengers (Effective for Voyages Departing on or after October 23, 2012)

Earliest International Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 5 hours after ship's arrival

Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Ft. Lauderdale: 4 hours after ship's arrival

Earliest International Flight Departure for Miami: 7 hours after ship's arrival

Earliest Domestic Flight Departure for Miami: 6 hours after ship's arrival

We have flown to/from Ft. Lauderdale many times. While I usually don't book a flight before 11:00, we have had time to spare on 11 am flights. The airport is so close, the taxi ride takes minutes.

Now, it there are a lot of ships in port that day there may be fewer customs officials causing delays going through immigration, you may wait a little longer for a taxi, and you will encounter lines at the airport; both checking in at your airline and going through security.

Our last time in Ft Lauderdale we were off the boat by 8:30 (Could have left earlier if we had done self assist), were through immigration and sitting in a taxi by 9 am. Had checked in at the airport, and were going through security by 9:30. Of course this was on a Thursday, and there were few ships in port that day.

We have flown to/from Ft. Lauderdale many times. While I usually don't book a flight before 11:00, we have had time to spare on 11 am flights. The airport is so close, the taxi ride takes minutes.

Now, it there are a lot of ships in port that day there may be fewer customs officials causing delays going through immigration, you may wait a little longer for a taxi, and you will encounter lines at the airport; both checking in at your airline and going through security.

Our last time in Ft Lauderdale we were off the boat by 8:30 (Could have left earlier if we had done self assist), were through immigration and sitting in a taxi by 9 am. Had checked in at the airport, and were going through security by 9:30. Of course this was on a Thursday, and there were few ships in port that day.

Just be sure not to take the ship bus to the airport!!! Big delay! Take a taxi , even walk off early and you should be fine!

Sigh-Do you know how many posts there have been on this subject??

The answer is simple. If you have a flight before about 12:30 you are rolling the dice.

Yes, you can do self embark if you can go down the escalator with one hand on the rail,but all you need is a hitch in your get along and you will miss your flight!

Sigh-Do you know how many posts there have been on this subject??

The answer is simple. If you have a flight before about 12:30 you are rolling the dice.

Yes, you can do self embark if you can go down the escalator with one hand on the rail,but all you need is a hitch in your get along and you will miss your flight!

I tempted fate in Aug and took my hand off the rail on the way down several times.

Any chance we could make a 10:30am flight or is it too risky?

Bill

I personally would never cut it that close. I like lots of wiggle room for the unexpected stuff.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

My philosophy on early flights out of FLL is that if there is more than 2 ships in port that day, forget it. If 2 or less, walk off with luggage and you will probably make it. I have found in recent years, that the big hindrance at Port Everglades cruise ship terminal is the lack of US immigration agents. Last time in November, there was one agent for US citizens and 2 agents for international passengers for a 2000 passenger ship. We made an 11:40 flight with plenty of time to spare. So you really never know. Next month we intend to walk off for a 10:50 flight with 2 ships in port. But we also always have a back up plan and buy refundable airline tickets.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

My philosophy on early flights out of FLL is that if there is more than 2 ships in port that day, forget it. If 2 or less, walk off with luggage and you will probably make it. I have found in recent years, that the big hindrance at Port Everglades cruise ship terminal is the lack of US immigration agents. Last time in November, there was one agent for US citizens and 2 agents for international passengers for a 2000 passenger ship. We made an 11:40 flight with plenty of time to spare. So you really never know. Next month we intend to walk off for a 10:50 flight with 2 ships in port. But we also always have a back up plan and buy refundable airline tickets.

I wasn't sure how Princess debarkation was compared to RCI's so that's why I asked.

We had a 10:30am flight on Southwest December 6th getting off the Oasis and made it with plenty of time to spare as we got off the ship at about 7:30am. :)

Thanks for all the replies. I am still torn.

Bill