Nice Crop Pants OK for Smart Casual???

cruzinchar

Sorry to belabor something that has surely been discussed over and over again......I really have been doing a lot of reading on these boards, and I have a very good idea of what "smart casual" means, but I don't really see much mention of "crop" pants. Some crop pants are longer than others, and there are also differing degrees of dressiness......I have a few pairs that I am considering bringing along on my upcoming Greek Isles cruise on the Grand, but wondering if they are appropriate for smart casual nights in the dining room.

I know that my husband will wear dockers and open collared shirts....no problem. I have nice slacks and blouses, as well. How about nice crop pants? Too casual? Too much like shorts? I don't want to feel underdressed.

Thanks!

Hopefully this won't turn into another debate.

I think they are fine - I have worn them on smart-casual nights and have seen many others. I have not cruised Europe but this is pretty common in the Caribbean and Mexico. I think you will be fine.

Had to ask my wife what "crop pants" were.

She has a couple of new pairs!! And they certainly comport with what I have seen ladies wear on "elegant casual" nights.

We leave on a Baltic cruise next week, on Oceania's Regatta, and she tells me that she will wear them on that cruise. Fine by me (they compliment her figure).

Thanks for bringing up this ? on Crop pants. I bought some nicer ones made out of a Rayon material and was planning to wear them with nice tops. but was still wondering about wearing them. Now I feel better.

Rayon, polyester, satin, flannel. suede, corduroy, velour, cotton, OK.

Denim, NOT OK.

Just kidding... :D

So are crop pants the same as skimmers?

If you're 5'10", they pretty much are all crop pants. I do not see anything wrong with wearing them to dinner, except for formal night. Just like ankle length pants, they range from very casual to dressier, depending on the fabric.

I know some would prefer women wear dresses every night to dinner but these are every bit as acceptable as the longer pants.

Carol

If you're 5'10", they pretty much are all crop pants. I do not see anything wrong with wearing them to dinner, except for formal night. Just like ankle length pants, they range from very casual to dressier, depending on the fabric.

I know some would prefer women wear dresses every night to dinner but these are every bit as acceptable as the longer pants.

Carol

I agree, there's nothing inherently undressy about pants that are not full length. My boss (a woman lawyer) wears them all the time, hers are all in lovely slightly shimmery fabrics (like shantung silk) with embroidery at the bottom of them. They look very Ann Taylor-ish and definitely dressy enough for smart casual night, especially if it's OK for guys to wear khakis and a polo shirt. Now, the ones that are made of stretch denim are a whole other story. I don't care how skinny you are, nobody looks even remotely good in those things!

Archived