Is this a new thing, visit the ship without sailing?

CCFC

"Join us for a guided tour & lunch

For only £25 per person, you and your guests can enjoy a visit on board one of our magnificent ships.

On family days, places for children under 5 are free, while a charge of £10 will apply to 5-15 year olds.

This offers fantastic value for money with a personal tour plus lunch in one of the ships' main restaurants."

We currently have availability on a number of imminent dates: including:

Oriana , 6th February

Oceana, 7th February

Oriana, 23rd February

Oriana, 17th February

Oriana, 31st March

That seems to be a good offer but if you don't live within an hour of Southampton its a bit pointless, thoughts?

http://www.pocruises.com/join-us-for-a-guided-tour/

We have done it twice previously on the Thomson Spirit at Newcastle. The cost was £15 which include 3 course dinner plus a drink and a tour of the ship. It was supposed to be for people who had never cruised before but for £15 we used to book just for the meal.

They aren't that clever enough to have a full listing of dates online though.

It's a good little side earner for them. I'd certainly be tempted if I had a full list of dates and ships. Won't be spending 35p+ a minute ringing a 0871 number off my mobile though

Blagged this off the Facebook page.

We currently have availability on a number of imminent dates: including:

Oriana , 6th February

Oceana, 7th February

Oriana, 23rd February

Oriana, 17th February

Oriana, 31st March

If you’d like to find out more, contact our dedicated Ship Visits team on 0843 374 0111 or visit the website on http://www.pocruises.com/join-us-for-a-guided-tour/

Granted, their web-page sucks!

(no comment on their odd punctuation):rolleyes:

Promoting the line/ship of course. Princess have been doing it for years, now parent company, Carnival Corporation is taking these visit the ship promotions across its fleets. In recent years cruise lines new to Australia, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean etc, have been doing the promotional ship visits, when they are berthed in ports like Sydney.

Of course it promotes cruising but is costs them nothing, charging £25 for a tour and a feed. (Moet and Lobster on the menu?)

Edited by NSWP

We did a tour of the Aurora some time ago for £25 p.p. - sadly no Moet or lobster. In fact the lunch was very under-whelming given that this was a promotional thing to attract people who did cruise but hadn't travelled previously with P&O. They did however have an offer at that time to credit the cost against a P&O cruise booked within a time limit after the visit which we thought was very fair.

Recently we've had an invitation to visit a Cunard ship (although we've sailed with them before so it's not targeted at potential first time Cunard customers) but that was £50 a head with no credit against a future cruise. We haven't taken that up.

Yes, we did one of these a few years ago before we had ever cruised or indeed ever been on a cruise ship and it was a most enjoyable and interesting day with a very pleasant 3 course lunch with wine and coffees etc in the MDR and a guided tour of the ship.

Really good value for £25. I can't remember whether we were able to actually book a cruise there and then, but we did get some form of incentive to book like some OBC for a future cruise and some discount offers. I think we could also buy a Future Cruise Deposit.

Back then you had to receive a special invite to a guided visit and it was targeted at newbies, but it is obviously now open to all, although it could still be filtered towards those who have not cruised before or not cruised with P&O when you look at this comment : If you’re curious about cruising but have yet to try it, this is a valuable opportunity to talk to our cruise experts and to discover what lies beneath the gleaming white exterior of one of our magnificent ships.

I think it is a very good promotional idea and a good day out especially if you live near Southampton as we do.

Edited by Scriv

They have been doing it a while now, I live in Portsmouth less than half an hour a way so its a nice little trip out, I wouldn't bother travelling too far. We did Aurora recently just before her refit then went on her for a short cruise in January which was good to see what they had done. We were on by 10:30, you get a tour of the ship and get to look at most of the cabin grades, they have 'show' cabins open which is helpful if you are looking to book, then lunch in the main dining room and off by 2.30 ish. We have booked another lunch on Britannia in April just to have a nose around - rude not too!!!

We have done that too and booked while on Arcadia for a cruise on her! We live near Southampton so look on it as a nice day out. Good to see the whole ship and choice of cabins too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looking at the available ships and from what discussions have been on here I would guess that Oriana is the least popular ship hence the tours in an attempt to fill her up?

I don't think so. It's probably just easier logistically to offer lunch tours on her.

We've had no such offer - is it something we said?

To be honest it would suit is as we have family members who are keen to try a cruise and would love the chance to do an overnight.

How did anyone hear of these offers?

Looking at the available ships and from what discussions have been on here I would guess that Oriana is the least popular ship hence the tours in an attempt to fill her up?

You wouldn't catch me on one as it would be such a tease... I'd want to stay :p

I did a ship visit on Ventura a few years ago and was gutted when I heard the announcement that the cabins were ready and I had to get off. I even stayed to see it sail. I vowed I would never do one again unless it was the day before I was sailing on another cruise.

To be honest it would suit is as we have family members who are keen to try a cruise and would love the chance to do an overnight.

I think the paying for lunch visit is open to everyone, probably a link on the P&O site?

They're available to all but it is only lunch, see the link below -

http://www.pocruises.com/join-us-for-a-guided-tour/

The other way to get on for the night is a 2 night cruise which start at around £199. Again a good way to get a taste.

What time do they let you on for the tour, would need to be pretty early to get your moneys worth.

How do you envisage getting your moneys worth?

Nothing is included except your lunch, so you will get a tour and lunch and then get off. You arent going to watch a show or sunbathe or be invited to a Captains cocktail party.

Its March in S'ton, it will probably be hissing down and you have no cabin to retreat to.

You wouldn't catch me on one as it would be such a tease... I'd want to stay :p

It is a perfect chance for people to see for themselves what a lovely ship Oriana is - and yes, I agree, the awful thing about doing a visit like that is having to get off!!!

It is a perfect chance for people to see for themselves what a lovely ship Oriana is - and yes, I agree, the awful thing about doing a visit like that is having to get off!!!

It would be better if you could at least stay over night ! Travelling for about 4 hours or more just for a meal on the ship doesn't appeal to us. Now if we could do an over night stay we may be tempted to take friends and family who have never cruised.

Yes I wouldn't travel that distance for it, no more than I would be interested if another company offered the same from say, Harwich. I don't think they have problems filling the places from people living nearer, though. They say it is on a first come first served basis and I seem to remember our one a few years ago was quite heavily subscribed and they limited it to newbies.

I think commercially, it is a good way for the company to use the time in port between trips - effectively only a matter of hours. And there are a lot of us who live near Southampton who are fans of cruising straight from the port, so we are a good market for tapping.

Edited by Scriv