Checking my reservation and saw this

wr813

I was checking my reservation and found this when I went to view it.

The requested reservation is currently being modified. Please try again in 20 minutes

Anyone ever have this and what does it mean?

This happens all the time and is quite normal. Once you go into the reservation, if you get out of it, and try to go back in, you get that message. The same thing happens if, for example, your TA accesses it and then you try.

I've often wondered by airlines seem to be able to release the reservation immediately but Celebrity can't.

I believe that you will get the message if you do not "logout" of "My Reservations." If you simply hit the red X to close the window without logging out, you will get that message. Try to remember to go to the blue "LOGOUT" box at the upper right.

I've often wondered by airlines seem to be able to release the reservation immediately but Celebrity can't.

Airlines use a far more robust sophisticated and connected system than cruise ship companies.

Airlines systems are very dynamic changing often with changes the must have instantaneous results. Airlines sell each toothier tickets, move liege from one company to the other in standard course of business.

Crusie ships do not need such sophistication and dynamics, so there is no reason to spend the time and money making the system perform as such.

It's like my retail stores I have to do a periodic manual polling between stores to get my data synchronized, and that's fine for me. My system costs $1000 per store. But Target and Walmart have instantaneous information as soon as a sale is made at the home office as they have so many moving parts and stores to handle, and it's best for purchasing and distributing to have real info in real time. They spend hundreds of millions $$$$ on their data centers and POS systems for this convenience.

To add to cle-guy's explanation in the post immediately above, it might also be because a cruise reservation is much more complex than an airline reservation. With an airline, the major components of a reservation are departure and arrival airports, date/time, and seat assignment.

With a cruise reservation, there is the departure date, the embarkation and disembarkation ports (i.e the itinerary), the stateroom number, the dining type and times, excursion and specialty reservations, other ancillary reservations such as spa treatments, etc., plus any special requests such as dietary or accommodation needs, and possibly other companion passengers that are linked to the reservation.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I was checking my reservation and found this when I went to view it.

The requested reservation is currently being modified. Please try again in 20 minutes

Anyone ever have this and what does it mean?

I had this message for 3 weeks in Nov. I told my TA that I had not been the reservation in over a month. TA called Celebrity. Celebrity could not get into my reservation. After about a week they had to make a whole new reservation number for my cruise in June 2015.

I believe that you will get the message if you do not "logout" of "My Reservations." If you simply hit the red X to close the window without logging out, you will get that message. Try to remember to go to the blue "LOGOUT" box at the upper right.

Yes, I have had that happen a number of times, try logging out and then log back in.

Two people can't be logged into a reservation at the same time. So, if a Celebrity agent, your TA, you on another device, or your cruising mate are logged in, you won't be able to log in. If you know of someone else being logged in, have them sign out. If not, wait a bit and see if you can get in later.

Not all cruiselines have this issue, but RCCL and Celebrity's reservation system does.

Edited by Sapphire723

I kept getting that message off and on for weeks or months before our December cruise. At first I kept hoping we were being upgraded on our cabin or something, but no such luck.

It was annoying, since I couldn't get anywhere on the site, but eventually went away. That website has some major problems!

No problem. Your reservation has been taken over by people from Mars (or maybe HAL). The lock down has happened to us for extended durations on every cruise - usually more than 90 days before departure - and eventually goes away. Similar to my trying to remember my passwords. Sometimes get it right away and other times it takes several days, but i eventually always remember!

Just take Celebrity's website with a grain of salt. It rarely works properly. If you have questions or issues, just call their customer service. Sometimes in high season their wait times are long, but they can usually answer more questions than the website. Fortunately X's onboard experience is not like their website!:)