The Alcoves

S&G1968

I'm thinking about reserving one... I am interested if I should get it for a day or the whole week and what your thoughts are on these...

Steve:cool:

Hi steve -

Don't know how familiar you are with Cruise Critic or all of the available resources it offers, such as being able to search the forum to look for valuable information on your topic of interest.

My query found this content from DEC 2014/JAN 2015.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2134279&highlight=alcove

Many people enjoy this amenity and they can tend to book up fairly early. Depending on on near/far out your sailing date is, you may not have an option to book for the whole week if certain days have no available alcoves to reserve.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

We had an alcove for 1 day on the Reflection in August in Med.. Very quiet. By afternoon a few alcoves taken. Managed to get drinks brought to us but as it was quiet could not get any food. Had to go to buffet or burger bar to get something to eat. Enjoyed the peace & quiet but it did not seem during the week if this git busy at all.

I'm thinking about reserving one... I am interested if I should get it for a day or the whole week and what your thoughts are on these...

It all depends on what you like to do. Most Caribbean ports we've been to a zillion times so often don't get off the ship on those days. We like to be outside, don't care if we're right by the pool and enjoy not having people packed around us like sardines in a row of lounge chairs, so for those reasons we love the alcoves and usually book them for all sea days and most some of the port days.

If you prefer spending the heat of the day inside in the air conditioning, or like to be right by the pool in the midst of a lot of activity, and/or always spend the day ashore when the ship is in port, I'd think twice about renting one.

We had them over our New Years cruise on Reflection, and thoroughly enjoy it. It is much more relaxed and the noise level is significantly less than around the pool deck. It was nice not having to worry about rushing up to the pool deck, to save a couple of deck chairs.

Thanks for the link....

What were your thoughts when you you were on Reflection? Did you use them at all and if not would you in the future?

Steve

Steve -

I did not personally book one for myself, but I had friends on the curise that did and invited us to join them during the day. The experience was nice, relaxing, and quieter than by the pool area.

You will see folks here that vocalize their support (or dissent) regarding their view of the pros/cons of Alcoves and the surrounding "grassy knoll". The mix of voices here does not represent the cruise ship passenger mix. From what I can see, they (the alcoves) are mostly popular.

If I were on a future cruise with alcoves, I would consider booking an alcove, but probably for a single day versus a whole week. The pricing on port days is cheaper than "at sea" days.

I think most of the "dissent" comes from people like me who hate the idea that Celebrity blocks off so much nice, quiet, usable space on a beautiful open deck for use of only a few. But that is a Celebrity decision not a complaint against those who use them. I personally can't imagine paying that kind of money to spend a few quiet hours in the sun, but different strokes for different folks and all that. If they weren't popular it wouldn't be long before they are removed and replaced with some other revenue generator I'm sure.

I think most of the "dissent" comes from people like me who hate the idea that Celebrity blocks off so much nice, quiet, usable space on a beautiful open deck for use of only a few. But that is a Celebrity decision not a complaint against those who use them. I personally can't imagine paying that kind of money to spend a few quiet hours in the sun, but different strokes for different folks and all that. If they weren't popular it wouldn't be long before they are removed and replaced with some other revenue generator I'm sure.

That's the excuse people use but it doesn't hold water. The alcoves are only around the perimeter of the main lawn; there's a huge lawn area in the center, with no alcoves, that anyone can use, not to mention the side lawn areas. It's huge, yet it was never packed with people so always plenty of room to spread a towel out on the grass. Far more than "a few" people can use the lawn, virtually any time they want to. But the haters continue to rant about how the lawn is only for a few. :rolleyes:

And you're right- different strokes for different folks. For us it's a lot more than "a few quiet hours in the sun."

We love being outside in the breeze and fresh air, in seats that we know will be waiting for us to return if we leave for a bit, and that we have that access to those seats all day long (more than "a few hours") and that we don't have people 3 inches away on either side of us, and that we can usually choose canopy up or down for sun or shade, and that we can keep the ipad plugged in and charged while listening to music, and that we can have lunch delivered from The Porch and the bar is just a few steps away...

We realize not everyone appreciates those same things and that's a good thing.

:)

That's the excuse people use but it doesn't hold water. The alcoves are only around the perimeter of the main lawn; there's a huge lawn area in the center, with no alcoves, that anyone can use, not to mention the side lawn areas. It's huge, yet it was never packed with people so always plenty of room to spread a towel out on the grass. Far more than "a few" people can use the lawn, virtually any time they want to. But the haters continue to rant about how the lawn is only for a few. :rolleyes:

And you're right- different strokes for different folks. For us it's a lot more than "a few quiet hours in the sun."

We love being outside in the breeze and fresh air, in seats that we know will be waiting for us to return if we leave for a bit, and that we have that access to those seats all day long (more than "a few hours") and that we don't have people 3 inches away on either side of us, and that we can usually choose canopy up or down for sun or shade, and that we can keep the ipad plugged in and charged while listening to music, and that we can have lunch delivered from The Porch and the bar is just a few steps away...

wow a bit intense don't you think. I hardly consider it an 'excuse', and calmly stating an opinion hardly qualifies as a 'rant'. It is my opinion (and you are welcome to disagree, but it would be nice it you did it without name calling - i.e., 'haters') that the space taken up is prime real estate. I like to be up on deck where I can see the water - sitting in the center of a grassy area is something I can do in my own backyard during the summer and hardly is the same. And sitting on a towel?! Seriously? At 63 years old I would need a crane to get me up off the ground:). I have nothing against people who want to rent the spaces. It is offered as an option, and if you choose to use your money that way that is fine with me. But I don't have to like Celebrity doing this, and many feel the same way.

I understand the Alcoves hold up to 6 people...what about sharing this expense with other as yet unidentified couples? (Not sure how I'd identify them.)

Also, if you reserve an Alcove and it's bad weather, can you get a refund or another day?

Just booked Alcoves, on Silhouette, for our 3 Sea Days and one Port Day when we don't arrive in Port until 3:30pm (San Juan). We had Alcoves booked on our Silhouette trip this past summer and LOVED them!

I was told that when you book for 3 or more days you can get an 20% OBC issued as a discount, but you need to do that on the ship once you board. We only had 2 days booked this past summer but now with 4 Days booked for our upcoming trip, I will go straight to GS when we board to inquire about the OBC.

Could not agree with you more! We love the Alcoves and the ability to come and go without having to fight for chairs and being able to have a private space. Our attendant this past summer on Silhouette was happy to setup dinner for us in our Alcove, served from the Lawn Club Grill, it was a beautiful dinner under the stars!

Edited by rbuenger

I understand the Alcoves hold up to 6 people...what about sharing this expense with other as yet unidentified couples? (Not sure how I'd identify them.)

Also, if you reserve an Alcove and it's bad weather, can you get a refund or another day?

On our recent cruise aboard the Silhouette one of the days we had an alcove booked it had rained heavily the night before. Everything was very wet when we went to check in at 9 am and the cushions had puddles on them. It was very easy to cancel and get a refund which just went back onto our on board account.

Sorry, I don't fully understand. If you want peace and quiet, with a breeze etc, why not sit on your balcony? Is it me not quite grasping the point? If so, sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What you're not understanding is that everyone doesn't have access to a balcony room.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

wow a bit intense don't you think. I hardly consider it an 'excuse', and calmly stating an opinion hardly qualifies as a 'rant'. It is my opinion (and you are welcome to disagree, but it would be nice it you did it without name calling - i.e., 'haters') that the space taken up is prime real estate. I like to be up on deck where I can see the water - sitting in the center of a grassy area is something I can do in my own backyard during the summer and hardly is the same. And sitting on a towel?! Seriously? At 63 years old I would need a crane to get me up off the ground:). I have nothing against people who want to rent the spaces. It is offered as an option, and if you choose to use your money that way that is fine with me. But I don't have to like Celebrity doing this, and many feel the same way.

First of all, I was not referring to YOU specifically. There have been any number of past threads where people really did come off as very hateful in their view of the alcoves and the people who rent them. Usually sounds like sour grapes to me, but whatever. Anyway, let's look at what you've said:

You want to be up on deck where you can see the water, but not on a towel on the grass. Ok, got it. You do realize that even with the lawn, there are lots and lots of deck chairs around the upper deck, right? So I don't get how 10 alcoves are impeding your ability to enjoy outdoor space. There is also a lot of seating at the aft Sunset Bar. Plenty of outdoor space for you, even with the alcoves in place. :)

Sorry, I don't fully understand. If you want peace and quiet, with a breeze etc, why not sit on your balcony? Is it me not quite grasping the point? If so, sorry!

Advantages of the alcoves vs. the balcony:

• Depending on which way the ship is facing, our balcony is going to be sunny OR shady; we can't choose. Unless the wind is bad, we can choose whether to have the alcove canopy up or down.
  • If we're sitting on our balcony, it's very inconvenient to get another round of drinks. Much easier in an alcove via the attendance, or the Sunset Bar which is next door.
  • The alcove attendant will deliver lunch from The Porch, which we prefer to the standard room service menu in the room.
  • Our friends can join us in the alcove, but there isn't enough seating for them on our balcony.
  • There is more lie down/lounging space in the alcove than there is on the balcony.
  • We can plug our ipad into an outlet in the alcove to charge while it plays. There is no outlet on our balcony. If it needs to charge, it would have to be plugged up in the room and we'd have to leave the door open which we'd rather not do.
  • We enjoy people watching, which we can't do on the balcony.

As I've said before, they aren't for everyone but we enjoy them.