AARP and Freestyle choices now combinable?

jmele999

I'm not an AARP member, but I was able to get the Latitudes reduced rate and Freestyle Choice together. I did have to call NCL; their website wasn't letting me combine the two online, though that may have changed. No Latitudes OBC though, unfortunately.

I booked a family suite in the Haven and the AARP discount was combined with my latitudes discount. When I checked my booking on NCL it showed $300 in OBC, $150 Latitudes non-refundable, non transferable (which will be on my account since I was the only one in our group that has a latitudes number) $150 in OBC and on top of that we have the promo packing that includes UDP and dining package. My TA is giving us $250 in additional OBC for a total of $550 for the Haven. Did not include the $150 in this total due to the $150 being non-transferable to share with my suite mates.

I was shocked when I saw the $150 OBC in addition to the package deal promo for booking the Haven. Very good deal. Deposit was made and we have a nice amount of time to pay off this booking :)

I booked under the weekend Freestyle Choice PLUS Kids sail Free promo.

If I have an Associate Membership to AARP (For under age 50) will they take that? Associate Members have a member number but no hard copy of a card.

I booked under the weekend Freestyle Choice PLUS Kids sail Free promo.

If I have an Associate Membership to AARP (For under age 50) will they take that? Associate Members have a member number but no hard copy of a card.

Yes, that is what we have and we've used it for each of the cruises we have booked with the promo. You can also request that they mail you a card. I did a week or two ago and we received it today (one for each of us though DH is the primary associate member).

If I get the AARP rate, can I still transfer my booking to a travel agency for additional benefits? Want to combine Freestyle Choice, AARP, and whatever perks a T/A offers. Seems like AARP should not prevent a T/A from giving more benefits but want to check first.

If I get the AARP rate, can I still transfer my booking to a travel agency for additional benefits? Want to combine Freestyle Choice, AARP, and whatever perks a T/A offers. Seems like AARP should not prevent a T/A from giving more benefits but want to check first.

I would check with your TA first to be on the safe side. Ours confirmed that everything would stay the same including our reservation numbers and then the TA's perks are added.

Joined AARP today, combined it with Freestyle Choice, no problemo. AARP was happy to take my money. If you are thinking of joining they have a 20% discount on memberships this month if you join online.

Good job! I hope they'll offer the discount when we renew. Membership has really saved us some $$.

Also you do not need to be 50 to join AARP and get a number and discount. AARP allows any age to join there are just a few programs you must be 50 to use. Both my young adult children have an AARP membership/card to get discounts

Also you do not need to be 50 to join AARP and get a number and discount. AARP allows any age to join there are just a few programs you must be 50 to use. Both my young adult children have an AARP membership/card to get discounts

Yes completely correct. My wife and I are both younger than 50. I did receive a card to print immediately and one in her name as well. They said we will get wallets cards in the mail. Membership instantly paid for itself.

Now to find a TA to give me my AARP rate, free bev packages, 3rd in cabin free, and additional discounts or perks. This cruise will be free by the time I'm through[emoji568]

• 3 months later...
If you have the OBC as your Freestyle Choice Promo, it will show up as CHOO. (Beverage pkg as CHOB, and dining pkg as CHOD. If you have a suite and all three, it will show as CHOOBD.)

The AARP discount IS combinable now with the Choice promo. Not only have I and others above gotten it, NCL's own website says it is. Call back and if someone says it's not, direct them to this page:

http://www.ncl.com/promo/aarp

Hi, I am worn out from researching cruises all day. :) Can someone please point out on the link above exactly where it says they are combinable? I want to be prepared when I call in the morning. Thank you so much.

Hi, I am worn out from researching cruises all day. :) Can someone please point out on the link above exactly where it says they are combinable? I want to be prepared when I call in the morning. Thank you so much.

You're quoting a post that was made months ago. Even if certain promotions were combinable then it doesn't mean they are now. Which promotions can be combined changes all the time.

IM experience, just last month, I was able to combine promos and the AARP discount but I had to call NCL and ask about it; I could not get both online.

It pretty much has been the same since Jan 2015, so not that long ago; I have booked a few (3) cruises during this timeframe and have been able to combine promos/AARP on all. I had to call on all of them.

Hope this helps. :)

Happy and safe cruising!!!

I just read on another thread that NCL has now relaxed the restriction and that the Freestyle choices promo is now combinable with the AARP discount. How anyone been able to apply both?

We have both on our NCL Jade Haven booking. This is under the Promo that has free gratuities, UDP, UBP, $300 OBC and 3rd sails free. In fact, at first we did not have the AARP discount and when the TA called NCL to change the cabin, the res agent added the AARP discount. Very worthwhile call.

Edited by DebJ14

Huge thanks to the OP for starting this thread!

We booked a cruise months ago for early 2016, and had the AARP discount. Last month, when NCL launched the Freestyle Choice Promo, we gave up the AARP discount for the Promo, because it made financial sense. When I saw this thread today, I contacted my PCC and he restored the AARP discount and we keep the Promo. The two just became combineable late yesterday.

I love Cruise Critic! :)

I have booked a cruise to Bermuda last January for June 2016 booked a suite and received AARP Discount and all 4 Freestyle choice promo

IM experience, just last month, I was able to combine promos and the AARP discount but I had to call NCL and ask about it; I could not get both online.

It pretty much has been the same since Jan 2015, so not that long ago; I have booked a few (3) cruises during this timeframe and have been able to combine promos/AARP on all. I had to call on all of them.

Hope this helps. :)

Happy and safe cruising!!!

Thank you Cruisercl and to everyone else who also answered. I am ready to call and ask for both promos. Happy Sailing to you as well.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked our Sept '16 cruise back in February and chose UBP. DH recently joined AARP (he's 43), so I called NCL this morning and they gave us the discount---I got $80 knocked off our cruise. It's not much, but hey, $80 bucks is $80 bucks! :)

We booked our Sept '16 cruise back in February and chose UBP. DH recently joined AARP (he's 43), so I called NCL this morning and they gave us the discount---I got $80 knocked off our cruise. It's not much, but hey, $80 bucks is $80 bucks! :)

How did you join AARP if your husband is only 43?

How did you join AARP if your husband is only 43?

Pretty much anyone can join as an associate member until your 50. NCL does not specify any special membership, so if you have a AARP card and number you're good to go.

Just a word to the wise, of which there are MANY on this board, :) but you should remember that they have always noted somewhere in the fine print that you may be required to show your AARP card at the time you board in order to keep the discount. Up to now I have never seen them enforce this, but now that they are allowing us to use both promos at once, they may start to. I'm not trying to be a party pooper here, in fact I just took advantage of this myself on an 11 day Mexican Riviera cruise that I booked yesterday. I'm just trying to give everyone a heads up to put that card in your wallet before you go! I gotta say, I think things are looking up at NCL! :D

It should also be noted that AARP does not have any age restrictions on becoming a member. Contrary to what many believe, you do not have to be 55+ / retired, etc. to become a member. $19 I think it is, and you can join online, takes a few minutes, and you get your temp card / number instantly.

When booking an NCL cruise, provide them or your agent that member number, the name as it appears on the card, and the mailing address of your membership to include zip code and they will go in and mark it for the discount. If you do a mock booking or are booking yourself online, and select the AARP rate, make sure to hit the SELECT button 2 times, as the first time you select the rate it just moves the option over, and the second time it actually changes your pricing. Bottom line, make sure it is applied!

As others said, if it is far enough out (9mo) then you will get the 5% on many/most sailings (unlike the military discounts, or lack there of). NCL will once again run the membership number to make sure it is active around 90 days prior to sailing - so you have to renew it and keep it active if you are booking far out.

It is a great way to save money, and join a worthy organization. A friend I am sailing with is 23 and a 2 year card carrying member!

My understanding is that you had to be 50 and over to join AARP. Never heard of 'associate member' but I do see

Learn something new every day.

And as far as discount, I thought you HAD to be 9 months prior to booking cruise in order to get the AARP discount.

My understanding is that you had to be 50 and over to join AARP. Never heard of 'associate member' but I do see

Learn something new every day.

And as far as discount, I thought you HAD to be 9 months prior to booking cruise in order to get the AARP discount.

They really don't care how old you are. I'm under 40; joined no problem at all. Got free membership for my wife. We both have 3 year memberships now and it cost much less than the discount we got from NCL. We did end up getting hard cards with our name and member numbers. Even got our free gift for joining. In fact, the discount has come in handy a number of other places / purchases as well. So overall I am quite happy that we joined as it just keeps paying us.

Good for you 'young' ones that can take advantage of AARP.

I'm still baffled on this since AARP shows the following:

Anyone 50 or over can get all the great benefits of membership in AARP for only $16 a year. And membership includes your spouse or partner, free! Joining online is fast and secure. You become a member right away and receive your membership number online. :confused:

Good for you 'young' ones that can take advantage of AARP.

I'm still baffled on this since AARP shows the following:

Anyone 50 or over can get all the great benefits of membership in AARP for only $16 a year. And membership includes your spouse or partner, free! Joining online is fast and secure. You become a member right away and receive your membership number online. :confused:

Yes, you have to be over 50 to qualify FOR ALL of the benefits. Under 50 qualify for MANY of the benefits. Any age can join. AARP will happily process your credit card regardless of your age.