Metcentre in Sydney

We will be staying at the York by Swiss belhotel for 3 nights before our Solstice cruise on 1/27. In my research, I came across the METcentre. Is this a shopping mall with various stores, and mainly some type of grocery store (Woolworths). Would we be able to pick up some bottled waters and cokes to have in our hotel room. Or is there some place more convenient to pick up the water from?

Also, anyone eat at the Maxx Brenner Chocolate Eatery? I saw it on the map, and checked out their website, and it looks amazingly delicious!!

We were planning to take the train from the airport, and would get off at the Wynyard Station. It says it is a 2 minute walk to the York by Swiss. We are traveling with 1 - 26 inch suitcase w/4 wheels each, and a small carry on. (very managable, usually we travel w/more luggage than this.) Just looking for some opinions if this is the easiest/best price for our transportation. Seems many people use the train.

The Woolworths is a big supermarket, so getting water and soda is no problem. Just note the opening and closing times for that location (8pm I think).

Relatively easy walk from Wynyard station to your hotel, just make sure you use the correct exit for York Street. It is a little hilly on the other side, especially towards George Street.

Last time I took a taxi from that vicinity from the airport it cost around $50-60. Not sure about any local shuttle buses (I live in Melbourne)

Agreed, that would be the closest, and it's very close being only a block away.

There are other convenience stores and newsagents nearby e.g. at Wynyard station that sell those drinks, but if you want other things you may as well go to the supermarket.

METCentre is a multi-level shopping centre that includes the Woolworths supermarket, as well as a food court and other shops - from memory there is a newsagent, chemist, clothing shops, beauty shops etc. It also links through to Wynyard Station.

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate all this info! So excited, and counting down the days until we arrive in Sydney! We were also really excited to find out we will be in Sydney for Australia Day. We board the Solstice the next day (1-27). We have been on the Celebrity Eclipse and had a wonderful cruise, so we are really looking forward to visiting Sydney, then sailing on the Solstice.

We will be on the Rhapsody, Cairns day 1 doing a day trip to the GBR, and day 2 doing the train to Kurunda. In Airlie Beach doing a catamaran through RC sailing the Whitsundays, and in Brisbane, going to Lone Pine Sanctuary.

We still have not decided what to do in Newcastle. We love the beaches, and thought we would go over to Knobby beach. Any other suggestions on what to do? I had looked into a wine tour to the Hunter Valley, but a couple of the tour operators were already booked. We will be going to the Blue Mountains before we board the Rhapsody, and also taking a 2 day drive down the Grand Pacific Drive, staying overnight in the Wollongong area. It has taken plenty of planning for this trip, and I got so much information from all you Australian and New Zealand CC friends!! Again, a great big THANK YOU for all the help along the way. I would love to stay longer to do more things, but there are time constraints, and of course, that little issue of $$$ to pay for our trip!! :D :D

Max Brenner is food but I reckon San Churro is even better!

http://www.sanchurro.com/

:D

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I meant "good" not "food".

I'd like to blame auto correct but it's probably just my poor typing on the iPad as well as my lack of proof reading.:embarrassed:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

In Newcastle a tour to the Hunter Valley is always high on the list [but possibly a bit rushed it's about an hour drive each way] if you like Beaches as you say Nobby's and Newcastle are lovely [however all Newcastle beaches have been closed for swimming for over a week due to sharks not sure when they'll re-open soon I hope].

Newcastle itself I'm afraid is in a bit of a poor state at the moment with a lot of closed shops.

Other tours that might be worth a look could be Port Stephens, beaches or Lake Macquarie, however if you are just spending the day in Newie maybe the historic tram tour would suit for a look at some of the historic sites around towns and a bit of the story of the town

I think that if you like the beaches then at Newcastle just take the shuttle into town and then just walk along the river foreshore and follow you nose to the sound of surf at Nobbies.

Also good for a visit is Fort Scratchley that overlooks nobbies and Newcastle. They always open when a cruise ship is in and you will see the guns that they fire when you sail out - be on the starboard rail to experience your 3 gun salute:)

Edited by cassamanda