Cabin assignments for "guarantee" cabins

jbobst

I think I know the answer to this question, but just wanted to ask anyway. In general, when does Princess typically make cabin assignments to the people with a guarantee status? I think I've seen various information from months prior to the cruise to the day of check in, but maybe someone has some additional information on the matter.

Thanks!

I think I know the answer to this question, but just wanted to ask anyway. In general, when does Princess typically make cabin assignments to the people with a guarantee status? I think I've seen various information from months prior to the cruise to the day of check in, but maybe someone has some additional information on the matter.
Nothing typical about it. It could be the next day or you'll find out at the pier. It's all up to supply and demand for each cruise.

I booked a GTY for the first time for my February cruise. Often, it doesn't save any money. In this case, it did. Our ship was less than half full at final payment so I canceled at the last minute deciding to wait and see if there was a sale. Three weeks later, my TA let me know about an upcoming sale but our cruise wasn't on the list so we booked GTYs under a Flash sale, saving over $900 each. We were originally booked in obstructed view cabins so it meant going down just a category or two. NBD. Waited a couple of weeks and suddenly, on Monday, got our cabin assignments. Pretty much what we'd originally booked, a category less. However, they're in a great location and only partially obstructed. Princess then put the remaining cabins on sale but we're still paying $500 less than we would have originally and we're just a few doors down. The next day, we were offered upsells... only $398 ($199 based on double occupancy and solos pay 2x) for a balcony that could be anywhere. We said, "No thanks." I'd rather spend that money on the Sanctuary. :)

Edited by Pam in CA

We generally book guarantees. The timing is all over the lot, but always, in our experience, at least a month in advance. We have a cruise coming up at the end of March and booked it with some friends. Same time, same TA. Interestingly, they got their cabin months ago, and its a caribe balcony, so a really nice cabin. We are still waiting. That's the way it goes. We saved some money and we are on the ship, somewhere... That's ok with me. DH is being patient. The next one is aqua on Celebrity.

Ohiodoglover

We generally book guarantees. The timing is all over the lot, but always, in our experience, at least a month in advance. We have a cruise coming up at the end of March and booked it with some friends. Same time, same TA. Interestingly, they got their cabin months ago, and its a caribe balcony, so a really nice cabin. We are still waiting. That's the way it goes. We saved some money and we are on the ship, somewhere... That's ok with me. DH is being patient. The next one is aqua on Celebrity.

Ohiodoglover

Our cruise is 15 days away, and still no cabin assignment - hoping for something good, getting anxious. We know it's at least a balcony, so it's all good.

We are sailing with Princess for the first time March 15th on Emerald. We booked a Balcony guarantee on Nov. 12th. We made our final payment Dec. 30th and on January 3rd, I logged in and noticed we had our cabin assignment midship on the Caribe deck. I was pleasantly surprised and pleased.

I have done guarantees on Carnival and Royal before, but in those cases we did not know what cabin we had until we arrived at the ship, we also ended up with some of the least desirable cabins, not that we cared too much.

So for now, Princess is impressing us.

I don't think we have ever been assigned more than a month out, not that I can recall. We almost always book obstructed OV guarantee and it seems to me that they are going to wait until they have pretty much given up on selling any more of the cabins in each category before they begin assigning the guarantees and possibly giving some away as upgrades. They seem to be getting better at offering Up-Sells in the last month or so before the sailing date which makes sense to me to maximize the return.

Logically the majority of the guarantees are going to be assigned over the last couple of weeks. I am sure that there are scenarios where they can do some of the assignments further out but I wouldn't think the majority would be. It seems to me that the frequently start at the top moving people up into suites and mini suites and then they work their way down to balconies, OV and finally interiors.

Last year our assignments seemed to happen around one week before. One happened three days before and then 24 hours before we were bumped up again. I always like it to happen as late as possible as I would say we have had more/better upgrades that way.

Always makes me wonder why people book guarantees and then they are on here "Woe is me, when will my cabin be assigned"! Like they cant wait for it to happen. I guess they cant wait to see what they actually get but if they want an upgrade I think they should be hoping that it doesn't get assigned until the last minute.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Always makes me wonder why people book guarantees and then they are on here "Woe is me, when will my cabin be assigned"! Like they cant wait for it to happen. I guess they cant wait to see what they actually get but if they want an upgrade I think they should be hoping that it doesn't get assigned until the last minute.

Terry

Thanks for all the information everyone. It's not a big deal but was mildly curious. I am all for waiting until as late as possible, but wasn't sure what to expect. We have only booked a guaranteed cabin once before and that was on Royal Caribbean. I will be happy just be on the ship, and I know that will happen. In our case, we had this booked through some credit card reward program (not the princess one), and it just made sense to do it with a guarantee as the reward program pricing was really nuts and didn't make much sense. It's a four day cruise, and we got a guaranteed ocean view, so I'll be happy with that category.

I am 9 days out from sailing and my cabin still hasn't been assigned. In the past I've typically received my assignment around final payment time, so this is something new to me. I keep checking my cruise personalizer to see if anything has changed!

We leave Feb 2 for a getaway cruise and room assignment came in on Jan 5. First time give interior a try figured such a short one made sense to trial it.

Previously we did a balcony guarantee on the royal her first season and same on the sapphire and they were much more advance notice. Likely they start with the upper tier first.

Fastest I ever received the cabin assignment for a GTY was within an hour of booking. This was a number of months before final payment.

Latest I ever received the cabin assignment for a GTY was during the week before embarkation.

I have not taken a lot of cruises but I always had the assignment quickly on the last two. I think the first was a mini suite and second balcony. Now waiting on an inside for the Royal and I know the deal I got was great so I'm not complaining, but it was nice to know in the past! Just about 20 ish days left, and I check everyday haha.

Oh, and I also paid in full basically feb of 2014, so it's been a loooooong wait. It looks like our ship is pretty sold out though for the sailing that we are on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by umbluemusic

I booked a guarantee this time since that was the only choice for the category I wanted. I'm 10 days away and haven't gotten a cabin assignment yet (although there were no prices available for this cruise for the past month so I'm assuming they've been sold out). Does anyone know if the folks who make the cabin assignments work on the weekends? Just wondering if I should even bother checking on weekends?

Our friend is taking her first cruise with us on the Royal tomorrow

We booked L 108 and she booked a guarantee interior. She mentioned our cabin and that she'd like to be nearby. Well she got assigned A715 about as far aft as we a fully forward. We are all a little disappointed.

I don't suppose there is anything to be done.

Princess certainly didn't listen to her request.

I guess we'll be doing a lot of back and forth walking.

we booked an inside guarantee for our upcoming 4 day cruise on Feb 10. booked it last May! no cabin yet. I hear they are practically giving away these cruises. I wonder if people who get on board credit to match what they paid will get a better cabin than me who paid what they are offering now for an inside with no on board credit? I wonder what we will get assigned and when. I too wonder if they do this on weekends.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by dickinson

I booked 3 Deluxe Balcony (DZ) guarantee cabins in the middle of July for the 18 April Royal sailing. My TA did 2 price drop adjustments in the following months.

All three cabins were assigned (DZ) last week.

Haven't made final payment yet. I always do guarantees and this was the soonest I have been assigned.

We are 11 days out from boarding the Royal for 20 nights. We booked in July with final payment in November. We have yet to be assigned. My strategy was this. We decided to go with an inside for the price difference. This enabled us to do 20 instead of 10 nights. I booked the highest inside (IA) which is a great location midship. Now, if there were to be an upgrade, it would be to a balcony. I know it could be a balcony in a less desirable location and obstructed but it would be a balcony. To get a balcony at the price we paid would be great, either way we will be happy.

I think that the important thing(as so many here have said)is book what you will be happy with. If you get upgraded, that is icing on the cake.

"Woe is me", not at all. I love surprises! I think the anticipation adds to the excitement leading up to the cruise. I also enjoy reading about others gty assignments. Some people like to make choices ahead of time and have control of their arrangements which is fine. Some are a little more adventurous and go with a gty. To each his own. The main thing is to enjoy your cruise, make the most of whatever the assignment, be happy and be nice to others. As Forrest Gump said "And that's all I've got to say about that." :D

Edited by Shadow205
To add info

We are 11 days out from boarding the Royal for 20 nights. We booked in July with final payment in November. My strategy was this. We decided to go with an inside for the price difference. This enabled us to do 20 instead of 10 nights. I booked the highest inside (IA) which is a great location midship. Now, if there were to be an upgrade, it would be to a balcony. I know it could be a balcony in a less desirable location and obstructed but it would be a balcony. To get a balcony at the price we paid would be great, either way we will be happy.

I think that the important thing(as so many here have said)is book what you will be happy with. If you get upgraded, that is icing on the cake.

"Woe is me", not at all. I love surprises! I think the anticipation adds to the excitement leading up to the cruise. I also enjoy reading about others gty assignments. Some people like to make choices ahead of time and have control of their arrangements which is fine. Some are a little more adventurous and go with a gty. To each his own. The main thing is to enjoy your cruise, make the most of whatever the assignment, be happy and be nice to others. As Forrest Gump said "And that's all I've got to say about that." :D

I will keep my fingers crossed that you get an upgrade. And I will look forward to hearing about it at the Meet and Greet!

I will keep my fingers crossed that you get an upgrade. And I will look forward to hearing about it at the Meet and Greet!

TY Tracie! I look forward to meeting you too. I am so happy with doing the 20 days (1st one more than 7 nights) that I'd be happy in the cargo area, :eek: lol, just kidding on that one.