RC Credit Card Points with Balcony Discount

kruzerci

I have some points I've been meaning to use from my Royal Caribbean card and I was going to use them for the $150 fare discount but the fine print said it was not combinable with C&A offers.

I've only used it for OBC in the past, does anybody have experience trying to use the fare discount in addition to the balcony discount?

It sounds like it might be an issue (with the forever sale) the link is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2145986&highlight=visa+points+discounts

We are just going for onboard credit to apply to beverage packages. And I am seriously thinking about a different credit card. We don't accumulate all that many points with the RC card. :)

It sounds like it might be an issue (with the forever sale) the link is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2145986&highlight=visa+points+discounts

We are just going for onboard credit to apply to beverage packages. And I am seriously thinking about a different credit card. We don't accumulate all that many points with the RC card. :)

With all the redemption restrictions combined with the never ending BOGOHO sale, Royal's card is difficult to use with anything other than OBC. I agree that it's time to look at different cards.

Thanks guys. I was just looking to burn some points that I accumulated years ago when I used the card before they expire. I agree with you Coralc, theres no reason to use that card at this point. There are much better and more flexible rewards cards out there.

I guess I will stick to the OBC, even though we already have over $350 for a 7 day cruise...

I don't know why I thought anything could be combinable anymore :roll eyes:.

We just had the problem of redeeming points also.We could not use the points on Rcl because of their current promotions to reduce the cost of the cruise but we were able to use the points on Celebrity.Once the points are used up will go back to using Discover.At least with them I can get cash back and use it any way i want to.

With all the redemption restrictions combined with the never ending BOGOHO sale, Royal's card is difficult to use with anything other than OBC. I agree that it's time to look at different cards.

I keep my Skymiles card for the free checked bags, which saves me a few hundred dollars a year, and I've been using the Capital One Venture for a couple years now and with double points on everything and easy redemption for literally anything travel related, I really like it. Theres a lot of awesome rewards cards out there now.

I was just able to use my points for money off the cruise fare WITH my balcony discount. I had a military rate though.

They will NOT let you use it with a BOGOHO reservation.

Even though that seems contrary to the published rules, that's good to know, thanks!:)

• 2 weeks later...

We just applied for and received the Royal Caribbean visa because we cruise a lot and thought it might be a great way to reduce some of our cruise costs with obc. But, as you all have said, when you read the fine print, if you have ANY sort of discount, it is not combinable with any type of sale. This card, in my opinion, is worthless if you want to earn money (that can actually be USED) on your credit card. They have also recently made it virtually impossible to apply any OBC for RCL shareholders because they are not combinable with any discount.

So, the only people who can benefit from being an RCL shareholder or using their credit cards are people who pay full price for their cruise. I will be closing my account promptly, and selling our shares of RCL (which, by the way have done quite well over the last few years!) and going back to using my capital one card, which allows me the flexibility to use my points however I see fit!

Wake up, Royal Caribbean, we are NOT idiots!!