Just got brochure on new ship Explorer and sorry to see

that no tub is inc.in veranda level H and G.

Am really quite shocked, build a new ship and not inc. tubs on 2 levels?WHY?

Even next grade ships(like Oceania,etc)have them.

Was actually looking at itineraries ,but then saw that fact...Changed my mind,not worth extra thousand or more per person for my tub. to upgrade to concierge or PH.

May not be important to all, but a deal changer for me.So sad,stopped on Mariner when they changed over,had just a handful remain.

Too bad,ship looks great and had some trips I d like.

From all that I've read and seen so far on the new Explorer I am not as excited as I thought I would be. We have two cruises booked on Oceania and one on Viking Oceans new ship so we will see how we like those. We previously went on a few cruises with Regent and always booked the lower categories (G & H). The lower priced cabins on the Explorer don't look that great to me. Obviously the suites look amazing but they are really priced high. I would rather arrange my own excursions and we are not big drinkers so it does not make sense to pay for those things with Regent. I booked Penthouse suites on the Oceania cruises for the price difference so I think we will be better off.

There have been so many comments about how much space the tub wastes on Marina and Riviera, and how small the shower is as a result, I assume they've taken them to note. The bathrooms on Marina and Riviera up through Penthouse would be fabulous if the tub was ditched in favor of a larger walk-in shower. Most people use the tubs to store their suitcases. Combo tub/showers are little better; many have difficulty climbing over the side of the tub. Given the small size of the H cabins, the shower only is the only practical choice.

I will say that the closet arrangement in the H cabins is enough to push me to G -- the same sideways closets are in the standard cabins on Riviera and Marina and they are a pain.

Edited by hondorner

We never use the tub other than to store suitcases, so I was happy to see the shower only option. But the closet in the H is so small as to move us to a G. I like to be able to get up early and workout. So I like to be able to get dressed in the closet. Not possible in the H cate gory.

There have been so many comments about how much space the tub wastes on Marina and Riviera, and how small the shower is as a result, I assume they've taken them to note. The bathrooms on Marina and Riviera up through Penthouse would be fabulous if the tub was ditched in favor of a larger walk-in shower. Most people use the tubs to store their suitcases. Combo tub/showers are little better; many have difficulty climbing over the side of the tub. Given the small size of the H cabins, the shower only is the only practical choice.

I will say that the closet arrangement in the H cabins is enough to push me to G -- the same sideways closets are in the standard cabins on Riviera and Marina and they are a pain.

Hi Don. I've been quiet about the Explorer while I continue to absorb information as it comes out. I feel strongly about what you posted about bathrooms/showers, etc. on the Marina, Riviera and the Explorer. This may be a strong statement but I truly do not think that the desires of Oceania passengers have anything whatsoever to do with the desires of Regent passengers and cannot understand why any comparison would be made. That statement sounded harsher than I meant it to be. If we were having lunch and discussing this subject, it would be a calm conversation (a lot calmer than discussing "concierge suites" ;) )

If you look at Regent's Mariner, it was built with huge bathtub/shower combinations that many find difficult to get into and out of. Radisson/Regent must have understood this since they built the Voyager with full baths and separate showers. Additionally, approximately 50% of Mariner tubs/showers have been converted to shower-only. From what I can determine, Regent guests want both a shower and a bathtub in their suite. Regent guests also want larger suites. This is what Regent is known for (all suites - all balconies).

Anyway, I have many opinions but would prefer discussing it over lunch with you and Betsy. Do you have any plans to visit the Pacific Northwest again?

From what I can determine, Regent guests want both a shower and a bathtub in their suite. QUOTE]

This would be an interesting poll. We only use the tub as a "laundry basket". I tried to store our life vests there in order to free up a shelf in the closet but the room crew always put the life vests back where they started on the closet's top shelf. I'd like the a shower with: Mariner's size, Voyager's doors; and NO mirror wall.

then cruisers would have no complaints and use or NOT use tub as they desire.

Just felt it was odd that the NEW ship wouldn t have inc.it,,,nice to have a CHOICE.That s all.

Liked Voyager bathroom,but vibration probs got to me.Even "buzzed" feeling in tub,,sort of like a Jacuzzi. GEEZ, even Scenic riverboats have a tub in jr.suites and up,,,and MUCH smaller cabins.Oh well, nuff said.

Ended up finding similar itinerary with Crystal and will TRY them(firstimer)next.

Will miss Regent,as I ve been on 3 cruises with them,,maybe NEXT new ship???hint,hint

As an ex-Regent loyalist, sounds like they have screwed this ship up in various ways. I don't like the sound of the suite size changes--lowest H 219 sq ft as opposed to 301' on Navigator. Okay, so the balcony is bigger, 88' versus 55'. So net overall size is almost 50 sq ft smaller. Don't like.

But then perhaps the "Superior Suite" will be nice, a good compromise between standard and PH on, say, Voyager.

As for bathtubs--I use the line to dry my bathing suit--I would much prefer a decent-sized walk-in shower. If I want to soak, I use the hot tub or thalassotherapy pool if they have one.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

"You live and you learn" - It would never in a million years have occured to me to store suitcases in a bathtub! (We put ours under the bed or in the closet. Under the bed usually... But why not!

I am not sure that Regent/Radisson changed bathroom plans for Voyager and Navigator after their experience with bathrooms on the Mariner... Mariner was built in France by Chantiers de l'Atlantique (Alstom at that point) and the other two in Genova by Mariotti and it is entirely possible that the architects had different views of what bathrooms needed. it is of course true that the retrofitted showers arrived as a result of passenger comments.

I have to say that as both an Oceania AND a Regent fan I do prefer having both a bath and a shower. (Especially now I know what I can do with the bath if I don't fill it!)

Gerry

that no tub is inc.in veranda level H and G.

Am really quite shocked, build a new ship and not inc. tubs on 2 levels?WHY?

Even next grade ships(like Oceania,etc)have them.

Was actually looking at itineraries ,but then saw that fact...Changed my mind,not worth extra thousand or more per person for my tub. to upgrade to concierge or PH.

May not be important to all, but a deal changer for me.So sad,stopped on Mariner when they changed over,had just a handful remain.

Too bad,ship looks great and had some trips I d like.

Here are two cruisers who agree with you 100%. We take far more baths than showers, and the northern routes that we prefer often have weather too cold to use the hot tub - too chilly walking too and from the tub. Also, rough seas often make the hot tub unusable. Having to pay hundreds of dollars extra per person just to get a tub is a deal breaker for us.

We had looked forward to sailing on the Explorer until we got the brochure. After we got the brochure, we said "no way"!

Although it doesn't impact us, we wonder why Regent reneged on its promise to have singles. The H cabins would have been perfect for that.

All in all, very poor and disappointing planning by Regent.

"You live and you learn" - It would never in a million years have occured to me to store suitcases in a bathtub! (We put ours under the bed or in the closet. Under the bed usually... But why not!

I am not sure that Regent/Radisson changed bathroom plans for Voyager and Navigator after their experience with bathrooms on the Mariner... Mariner was built in France by Chantiers de l'Atlantique (Alstom at that point) and the other two in Genova by Mariotti and it is entirely possible that the architects had different views of what bathrooms needed. it is of course true that the retrofitted showers arrived as a result of passenger comments.

I have to say that as both an Oceania AND a Regent fan I do prefer having both a bath and a shower. (Especially now I know what I can do with the bath if I don't fill it!)

Gerry

Gerry, there has been a long time "rumor" that after the Mariner was built, Radisson looked at what was good and what could have been better. When they built the Voyager (I believe they debuted only 2 years apart), the deluxe suites were larger, the closets were larger - including the safes -- and the bathrooms had both showers and a bathtub. Whether this is true or not I have no idea but it makes sense.

We find a shower to be one of the top considerations in booking a cruise. My wife has balance problems and isn't about to climb into a high-sided tub and stand there taking a shower on a moving ship.

Our last two cruises were on HAL and we had to get a handicapped cabin as everything otherwise has tubs. We had a cruise tentatively booked on Crystal but cancelled when no cabins with showers became available. Our next cruise in on Celebrity, with showers, and we are considering Regent again for Alaska in 2016 when Mariner returns. But it would have to be one of the cabins with a shower. And we loved the bathroom on Voyager.

While tubs are a nice luxury for some cruisers, with the higher age of most luxury cruisers I would expect lack of a shower is more of a deal breaker than lack of a tub.

If the Mariner is any indication, shower-only suites are requested more often than the tub/shower suites. After refitting at least 50% of their suites to shower-only, they still run out of them. For us, it is a deal breaker -- we will no longer sail on the Mariner in a bathtub suite.

While I have not made up my mind about the very small suites on the Explorer, it does not seem like a big deal that the less expensive cabins/suites do not have a bathtub. You get what you pay for.

Since being purchased by PCH, selling suites that are all the same size but in a different location has been a bit of a challenge (it may have been an issue before PCH purchased Regent but ships were not running full in the early days of Regent). I was personally against the implementation of "Concierge" suites as it is a bit too close to being a "class system" for my liking. There does need to be differences between the categories -- perhaps size is the way to go!? The risk, IMO, is that they won't sell. I suppose that time will tell.