Princess Cay Sand Fleas?

azgrandmax3

Sand fleas can be annoying but just about any repellent will work. Although the we have never had a problem with them in Princess Cay. I would be more concerned with Sea lice. They are very common in the water. Some people are very susceptible to them and seem to be bitten more than others. My middle daughter was bitten in the salt water pool on a RCCL ship. Best prevention is to wash off immediately after exiting the water paying close attention to rinse well were bathing suit fits close to the skin. If bitten rash and itching can be very painful depending on how many bites. Just from experience we found cortisone cream and Benadryl seem to alieve the symptoms. Also from experience cortisone cream is very expensive in the islands so you may want to carry a small tube with you.

We will be cruising with a stop at Princess Cay (our first time there), end of March. Is there a problem with Sand Fleas or any other kind of bug? If so is there anything I can do to prevent being bitten.

Thanks

Be sure to check your cabin for live sand fleas, sea lice, and bed bugs under the mattress and in the carpet. Bring bed bug spray, and spray your mattress and carpet just to be safe.

We had a fellow passenger who said she was bitten all over after spending the day at the beach at Princess Cay.

To protect yourself, at the beach, carry an OTC topical ointment lotion/ spray. Apply all over your body when at the beach, and apply again when your come back aboard.

Bring a supply of DEET and be generous applying it all over your body, if you have no adverse reaction to the product.

Have fun at the beach and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I would think that particularly in warmer climates you can pretty much assume to expect things like sand fleas and sea lice.

Bug repellant does help, much like when you are in mosquito areas - it's part of the experience I'm afraid!

I always try to really rinse off carefully BEFORE getting back on ship and shower again once I am in the cabin. I shake out everything that I brought out to the beach and then shake it all yet again in the shower/tub area where I can flush it down "hopefully" to minimize infestations in the room. It is what it is! :)

Bring bed bug spray, and spray your mattress and carpet just to be safe.

In the unlikely event there are bedbugs in your cabin, do-it-yourself sprays will be, in the very best case scenario, only moderately effective, probably considerably less than that. False sense of security. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/25/health/la-he-skeptic-bedbug-spray-20101025

And I'd prefer it if my fellow passengers didn't dump their chemicals onboard the ship. How would you like it if a stranger came into your home and, without your knowledge or permission, sprayed insecticide on the bed you'd be sleeping in soon?

Edited by shepp

In the unlikely event there are bedbugs in your cabin, do-it-yourself sprays will be, in the very best case scenario, only moderately effective, probably considerably less than that. False sense of security.

And I'd prefer it if my fellow passengers didn't dump their chemicals onboard the ship. How would you like it if a stranger came into your home and, without your knowledgeor permission, sprayed insecticide on the bed you'd be sleeping in soon?

Years ago, we did not heed the warnings, and brought back sand dollars from a private island. We ended up with a very minor and flea infestation in our cabin. We call this to our stewards attention, and they had a squad of folk down there to exterminate. Then we were scolded (which we deserved). We learned a lesson.

Had we been dogs, we would have worn the "cone of shame".

:eek: Please, PLEASE do not do that. I have a family member who is very, very allergic to pesticides. I wouldn't want anyone spraying down the mattress that I will be next to use any more than others would want me spraying peanut dust all over my cabin for the next person to "enjoy". Having to jab oneself with an Epi Pen is not a fun way to kick off a cruise. Please! No self-administered poisons on board.

I dislike DEET repellents because they're rough on swimwear and plastics (like those of your electronics). I use Baypel/Icaridin/Picaridin (same thing, three names depending on where in the world you buy it). It works great on the genus that sand fleas/sand flies come from, and you can find repellants with it at outdoor stores and Walmart.

We will be cruising with a stop at Princess Cay (our first time there), end of March. Is there a problem with Sand Fleas or any other kind of bug? If so is there anything I can do to prevent being bitten.

Thanks

Thanks so much for all your replies.

I now feel informed and plan accordingly.

I do not know if it was sand fleas or some other small insect, but I was bitten several times around the ankle while walking on the sand on a recent visit to Princess Cays. I felt the bites as they were happening, so I know that is where they came from.

:eek: Please, PLEASE do not do that. I have a family member who is very, very allergic to pesticides. I wouldn't want anyone spraying down the mattress that I will be next to use any more than others would want me spraying peanut dust all over my cabin for the next person to "enjoy". Having to jab oneself with an Epi Pen is not a fun way to kick off a cruise. Please! No self-administered poisons on board.

I'd almost bet that the cabins are sprayed with some chemical by the ships crew to reduce the chance of infestations from time to time.

I'd almost bet that the cabins are sprayed with some chemical by the ships crew to reduce the chance of infestations from time to time.

And that's fine. They control the chemicals used, the amount used and the frequency of use. All done in concert with the fact that pesticide allergies are fairly common. But we don't need compulsive cowboys compounding the chemical composition by introducing sprays and concoctions that they "read about on the internet" in dosages that are twice the recommended amount under the belief that if a 10 second spray is good, a 30 second spray must be three times as good.

I dislike DEET repellents because they're rough on swimwear and plastics (like those of your electronics). I use Baypel/Icaridin/Picaridin (same thing, three names depending on where in the world you buy it). It works great on the genus that sand fleas/sand flies come from, and you can find repellants with it at outdoor stores and Walmart.

Is it a good product for those who are sensitive to DEET? If not, what is a good alternative for sensitive skin?

Is it a good product for those who are sensitive to DEET? If not, what is a good alternative for sensitive skin?

Some people insist that "Skin So Soft" by Avon deters bugs. It is not designed to do so, and instead is a skin softener, so it should be fine for sensitive skin. Whether or not it actually has the collateral effect of repelling insects I can not speak to. But many, many people insist that it works. I read it on the internet!

Well said JimmyVWine. I flinch when I read about people using scented products in the cabin as I have developed a terrible sensitivity to them.

So true.

Like those kinds of people who plug in scented aroma therapy deodorizers in their stateroom. One can smell their stink in the passageways.

Similar to those kinds of women (and men) who reek of perfume, and get on the elevator. Suffocating. One can barely breathe. :rolleyes:

Or how about the ones sitting at the next table at dinner.. Perfume so strong, one can't even taste ones meal. :eek:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Be sure to check your cabin for live sand fleas, sea lice, and bed bugs under the mattress and in the carpet. Bring bed bug spray, and spray your mattress and carpet just to be safe.

Are you serious? Sea lice are immature jellyfish and will not be hiding out in a cabin. Sand fleas are midges, a small flying insect. Again, not something you will find in a cabin.

Bed bugs are rare on cruise ships.

Yikes! :eek:

Maybe rethink a cruise to the Caribbean?

Is it possible these pesky mosquitos could hop a ride in ones beach bag/clothing and find there way back to ones stateroom?

Is the protection applied as a aerosol, spray, or lotion? It was suggested by a CC member here never to spray or apply any bug protecton products whilst in ones stateroom as it would transfer the chemicals could cause adverse reaction to the next passengers booked in the stateroom.

Or is it better to forgo the sprays and lotions, and just wear insect repellent clothing? Long sleeve shirts, long trousers, socks, and hat? Avoid skin exposure at the beach or out sightseeing?

http://www.exofficio.com/search/bugs%20away

Edited by Kingofcool1947