Miami as just a stop

DoulaAnn

We are on the Lima, Peru to NYC cruise this April-May, and make a stop in Miami. Does anyone know, from experience, if we will be dealing with Immigration in Miami or in NYC? I've had a lot of speculation from fellow cruisers, but would like to hear from someone who's "been there/done that."

Ann

We are on the Lima, Peru to NYC cruise this April-May, and make a stop in Miami. Does anyone know, from experience, if we will be dealing with Immigration in Miami or in NYC? I've had a lot of speculation from fellow cruisers, but would like to hear from someone who's "been there/done that."

Ann

You ALWAYS clear immigration in the first US port you come to..

Jancruz1

That's what I figured. My DH disagreed. I presume we then clear customs in NYC (final port for that cruise) as that's where we'll have our luggage with us?

As Miami is a "through-port" for your Cruise. you won't be taking anything larger that what you can carry personally off of the ship there, and those items may or may not be searched by the Customs staff on duty at the gangway.

Oceania will ask that the main portion of your luggage be placed outside the cabin by 8:00 PM on the night before you land in New York, and you will need to retrieve it on the Pier (again under the watchful eyes of the Customs Officials) as you disembark.

That's what I figured. My DH disagreed. I presume we then clear customs in NYC (final port for that cruise) as that's where we'll have our luggage with us?

Exactly Miami is only immigration and it takes place on board before you disembark in Miami..Customs is in NYC..

Have fun

Jancruz1

Exactly Miami is only immigration and it takes place on board before you disembark in Miami..Customs is in NYC..

Have fun

Jancruz1

Do you have a clue how long this might take on Marina? We're trying to figure out when to schedule some shore activities. Thanks for the input.

Ann

Do you have a clue how long this might take on Marina? We're trying to figure out when to schedule some shore activities. Thanks for the input.

Ann

Check out what time the Oceania Miami tours start..that is usually a good indication what time you will be able to disembark..

Jancruz1

Unfortunately, there are no tours listed for our stop in Miami. That's what has me worried about what time we'll be able to get off. Do they know something I don't?

All disembarking passengers must be off the ship by 9 AM. I would guess that you could safely schedule a (private) tour for 9:30 - 10 AM.

If Oceania will offer tours in Miami, you can find out more once you are on the ship. In many ports they tend to have different tours for disembarking passengers (a kind of transfer to airport with sightseeing) and different ones for through passengers.

I have only started and disembarked in Miami, never did a continuation cruise through Miami but will do so this March/April and there are no excursions listed for Miami at this point.

Edited by Paulchili

All disembarking passengers must be off the ship by 9 AM. I would guess that you could safely schedule a (private) tour for 9:30 - 10 AM.

If Oceania will offer tours in Miami, you can find out more once you are on the ship. In many ports they tend to have different tours for disembarking passengers (a kind of transfer to airport with sightseeing) and different ones for through passengers.

I have only started and disembarked in Miami, never did a continuation cruise through Miami but will do so this March/April and there are no excursions listed for Miami at this point.

Paul, you are correct for disembarking but this port is only a stop..so no rules when you have to be off..

Jancruz1

Paul, you are correct for disembarking but this port is only a stop..so no rules when you have to be off..

Jancruz1

In that case I am surprised that there are no tours offered :confused:

For us, Miami port will be a B2B - so some passengers will get off, others will continue.

Funny they have 4 tours listed for Miami on the April 4 cruise

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/grandvoyages/mna150404a/excursions/mia/default.aspx

Which your cruise is a segment of

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/caribbean/mna150421/excursions/mia/default.aspx

They will have the times once onboard

but I would think you would be off by 9am at least

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/grandvoyages/mna150404a/excursions/mia/default.aspx

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/caribbean/mna150421/excursions/mia/default.aspx

Lyn

Hi Lyn, hard to guarantee ..when we cleared Immigration in San Diego on the way to LA there was a delay and we were off at 10am

Jancruz1

Hi Lyn, hard to guarantee ..when we cleared Immigration in San Diego on the way to LA there was a delay and we were off at 10am

Jancruz1

True you never know what mood the immigration officials will be in that morning ;)

We cleared in Key West (not Oceania) once you went through immigration people onboard they punched your card & you could get off no waiting for the whole ship to be cleared

Maybe it will be the same procedure

Lyn

Thanks, Lyn. Those were added since the last time we looked. I was really surprised when there were none, but good to see they've added some. Will explore those possibilities, as well.

Ann