NCL STAR Panama Canal Cruise Review: 1/4 - 1/19

dongordon

I lived in Garden City for about 35 years.....now we have downsized to a two bedroom apartment in Hempstead one block away from Garden City.

Three of my daughters are now married (one has a home in Garden City) and my fourth who just graduated college lives with us.

Where are you from?

Don

We live in Douglaston Queens for 25 years and moved to Mt. Sinai where we purchased a condo 10 years ago. We also like to cruise out of New York. We did the Breakaway last year too big too many lines. We also sailed on the Gem a few times.

Vic....

Glad you enjoyed the review....you must read Oakman's review before you go, his is fantastic!

You will love this cruise and NCL, but it will set a high standard for future NCL cruises.

Enjoy your cruise in February....good time to get away! :)

Don

Don,

I followed Oakman's review and it belew me away :eek::rolleyes:. I also followed your comments on it. I have been waiting for your review. You both have made my wait seem just a bit longer. I booked our cruise just over 2 yeats ago:eek:. I got a price that could not be beat. Right now our cabin is going for $3500 - $4000 per person. I paid some thing like $3600 total for the both of us in a BD balcony. This total alson inculdes a couple of ship tours. We were upgrade from an inside to balcony, $100 OBC and 10% AARP discount;):rolleyes. Only had to wait two plus years for the bucket list cruise.

Vic

Don,

I followed Oakman's review and it belew me away :eek::rolleyes:. I also followed your comments on it. I have been waiting for your review. You both have made my wait seem just a bit longer. I booked our cruise just over 2 yeats ago:eek:. I got a price that could not be beat. Right now our cabin is going for $3500 - $4000 per person. I paid some thing like $3600 total for the both of us in a BD balcony. This total alson inculdes a couple of ship tours. We were upgrade from an inside to balcony, $100 OBC and 10% AARP discount;):rolleyes. Only had to wait two plus years for the bucket list cruise.

Vic

Hey Vic....

That is a long time to wait for a cruise, but believe me, it will be well worth the wait.

Glad you have a balcony....could never cruise again without one! :D

buckirj....

It is very hot....be careful and do not stay on deck too long.

The Panama Canal narrator said one of the best places to view and get some fluids throughout the day is the Market Cafe (buffet).

There are plenty of windows to view the canal and nice and cool in there.

One person passed out on our cruise.

Happy Cruising! :)

Don

We live in Douglaston Queens for 25 years and moved to Mt. Sinai where we purchased a condo 10 years ago. We also like to cruise out of New York. We did the Breakaway last year too big too many lines. We also sailed on the Gem a few times.

I know where Douglaston, Queens is.....I passed it many times on my way to work over the years on the Grand Central Parkway.

Where is Mt. Sinai...is that in Suffolk County?

Agree with you 100% about the Breakaway.

I prefer the smaller ships.

Don

I was on the cruise with Don and it was as fabulous as he says. I have never been on such a great cruise. We had a great time.

Linda--the shows are at 7:00pm and 9:00pm each night. If you want to hit 7:00pm go at 5 or 5:30. There was a line most nights to get into the MDR's (both of them) at 6pm and you usually got seated between 6:30 and 7:00pm. Most of our dinners lasted 1.5 to 2 hours but we were enjoying wine with dinner so we didn't really care as long as we got out by 9:00pm to see the show we were fine.

P.S. If you have to wait for more than 30 minutes for the MDR they give you a coupon for a glass of bubbly for the number of people in your party. That was a nice touch.

Don - do you remember what times of the shows. Thinking about dinner and we haven't even sailed yet! LOL

Linda...

The shows are at 7:00 PM and 9:00 PM.

I would give yourself an hour and a half for dinner unless you get a good server and can ask them to move things along in order to make the show. :)

That being said, the good shows fill up the Stardust quickly.

Don

I was on the cruise with Don and it was as fabulous as he says. I have never been on such a great cruise. We had a great time.

Linda--the shows are at 7:00pm and 9:00pm each night. If you want to hit 7:00pm go at 5 or 5:30. There was a line most nights to get into the MDR's (both of them) at 6pm and you usually got seated between 6:30 and 7:00pm. Most of our dinners lasted 1.5 to 2 hours but we were enjoying wine with dinner so we didn't really care as long as we got out by 9:00pm to see the show we were fine.

P.S. If you have to wait for more than 30 minutes for the MDR they give you a coupon for a glass of bubbly for the number of people in your party. That was a nice touch.

Hey Samantha....

You must have been posting the same time as me.

Regards to my cigar buddy - Pierre! :)

Don

Thanks Samantha and Don! I thought the shows might be around those times.

The first night we are eating early at 5:30 to catch the early show. The next night aka "not so formal night" we have dinner at Cagneys at 6 to catch the late show. The other nights we will play by ear. We know from past experience that Cagneys is a wonderful slow enjoyable meal and we are looking forward to it. The DH worried about lobster night in the main dining room. I reminded him it is no longer the same.

This cruise is taking forever to get here! Keep throwing tidbits our way to help pass the time while some of wait to enjoy what you enjoyed.

Edited by Linda the Book Lover

I know where Douglaston, Queens is.....I passed it many times on my way to work over the years on the Grand Central Parkway.

Where is Mt. Sinai...is that in Suffolk County?

Agree with you 100% about the Breakaway.

I prefer the smaller ships.

Don

Mt. Sinai is right near Port Jefferson in Suffolk county.

What time were you allowed to get on the ship?

Jill

Linda, almost every night at 8 or 8:15 there's a show in the Spinnaker lounge, usually one of the game shows. Then sometimes there was also a 10 or 10:30 Adults Only show as well. Somtimes I wondered how we could do everything!

One time I used a highlighter thinking it would work to keep track of what we wanted to do. Did not work! I am going to work on staying up to try to do most of it. We did well on the Alaska cruise because the daylight made us think it was too early to return to the cabin for the night. Lol

A year ago on The Star, all dining areas were overly cautious and everything was served to you including plates, coffee, juice, etc. and passengers' touched nothing. In the MDR they even used paper menus which were destroyed after each use. Is Norwegian still following that same policy?

I presume they were trying to prevent the spread of norovirus. This cruise, we had salt and pepper on the tables, regular menus, self-serve buffet, all like normal. I've been on a cruise with the noro precautions, and I don't much care for it.

Got off the STAR a few days ago and had to get over my "post cruise depression syndrome" before writing this review! :)

Let me sum up my cruise in one word....WOW!!!

It was one of the best cruises I have ever been on.

We cruised from Los Angeles to Miami because we preferred the long air trip going from NY than coming back.

As far as all of you who are worrying about the condition of the STAR before going under its refurbishment in March, don't worry. It is in fine condition although a bit "tired" in some places.....but still in great shape.

As far as the STAR crew, they are the friendliest and best crew I have ever encountered on any of the cruises I have been on.

FOOD:

I had the UDP and had my dinners at all the specialty restaurants except Tappanyaki and Ginza, although I did have lunch at Ginza and enjoyed it.

I did not eat in any of the main dining rooms, so I cannot comment on the food there, but my fellow cruise passengers all liked it and I did not hear one complaint.

The buffet (Market Cafe) had good food as well although I only had breakfast and lunch there several times and there were plenty of tasty choices.

The Outdoor Grill by the OASIS pool was a good choice as well for lunch and the grilled salmon I had one day was fantastic!

All the specialty restaurants were great.

The service was unbelievable and if you had to make a show, they kept the food coming. Everyone was so friendly and accomodating. Give yourself at least an hour for dinner.

My two favorites were Le Bistro and La Cucina with a close third for Cagney's.

DRINKS:

My two favorite watering holes were Gatsby's and the Bier Garten (where I enjoyed my cigars outdoors) I had 95% of my drinks prepared in these two places.

BTW, I had the UDP and we truly got our money's worth.

These two bar/lounges had the best barteneders:

Gatsby's: Danny and Jelica

They make the best of any type drink you ordered, but their martinis were the best I have ever had on any ship.

If you want to try a great "shooter" ask for the "Nutcracker"....Vodka and Frangelico, but sip it and enjoy. :)

Bier Garten: Toya

He had a cigar cutter, lighter and cigar ash tray ready for me each visit and picked out the best beers to enjoy with my cigars during the day and I had my usual bourbon on the rocks or brandy in the evening.

PORTS:

Depending on what you did at each port and your interests, determines whether you enjoyed the ports.

We loved Cabo, Puerto Vallarta (we did the ship's Las Caletes Excursion there...it was beautiful and fantastic!), and we went to a Beaches in Ocho Rios on a day pass because it was the old Playboy Hotel where we went for our Honeymoon in 1971. Most of it is new, but we saw the dining room here we enjoyed our breakfasts and dinners back then.

The rest of the resort is beautiful and we really enjoyed our day there.

Panama Canal"

WOW! What a fantastic experience.

I was on deck at 5:00 AM and watched as we approched the canal and the beautiful Panama City skyline.

We had an aft facing cabin and after watching the first set of locks from the front of the ship, I spent the rest of the journey from my cabin/balcony and it was much cooler there and the views spectacular. I would recommend the aft-facing cabin for this cruise and you will really get your money's worh! :D

It really gets hot and one passenger passed out.

The narrative on the ship's loud speaker was great and he provided so many wonderful interesting facts throughout our 8 hour journey.

He also did a Panama Canal presentation and Q & A the day before the Canal Transit and after we went through the canal that day.

Everyone also received a certificate and of course there were many souveniers and T-Shirts for sale.

Our Roll Call organizer (Tom) put together many private excursions for the different ports and did a fantastic job.

Speaking of our CC Roll Call, it was great seeing many of the of our new friends throughout the cruise. Besides the M & G, we had a Get-Together Dinner one night and a Gift Exchange one morning that added to getting to know everyone so much better.

We had so many great people on our roll call and it was so nice seeing them throughout the 15 day cruise.

ENTERTAINMENT:

I saw a several shows....Band on the Run, Paradis and Oh What a Night - twice (Four Seasons Tribute) were my favorites and Gabby and Sebastian were fantastic lounge performers and besides me, they had a huge following onboard and there were crowds wherever they performed,

I know all cruises have some negatives, but I look at my cruise as a whole and I have never been on a cruise that I have not enjoyed and had a great time. :)

This was one of my favorite cruises for all of the above reasons

BUT, if I were nit-picky....here would be my negatives:

-I like the old Spinnaker Lounge in the front with a view....missed it.

-The "White Hot Party" is usually my favorite night on the ship and it was disappointing for me on the cruise. There were many passengers onboard that grew up in the 60's and 70's and in other NCL White Hot Parties, they did a countdown from the 60's through the present with music from the various decades. They had quite a few modern line dance venues and many of the passengers could not get into the party mode because they did not know it.

-Also missing was the QUEST - Adult Scavenger Hunt that was so much fun on my previous cruises with NCL held in the Spinnaker lounge. That was so much fun to participate with friends from the cruise.

-I enjoy the Great Outdoors so much on the Jewel type ships and am back on the GEM next January.

-Hate flying and love my cruises out of NYC

-We love beaches and the Caribbean is so much more beautiful that the Mexican beaches

Overall...a great cruise experience and those who are planning to take this cruise in the future, IMHO will have a fantastic time

(Linda...my review is now "delivered" as promised to you before I left! :D)

BTW....to get over my "Post Cruise Depression Syndrome" (PCDS), I booked the GEM out of NYC on January 22, 2016.....anyone want to join me! :D

Questions anyone?

Don

Great review. We are taking the same cruise on April 12th. I'm curious to know how you were able to get the day pass to the Beaches resort in Ocho Rios? Did you purchase this on the ship or from the resort itself? Did they allow you to use all their facilities. Thanks for your help and I really enjoyed reading about your experience on the Norwegian Star. it will be our first time sailing with NCL.

Great review dongordon, it sounds like you had as much fun on the Star as we did on our canal cruise in November. The crew of the Star really is fantastic.

I never experienced PCDS after a cruise until we returned from our Panama Canal cruise. That's when it hit us big time. My wife and I have dealt with the PCDS by booking a cruise out of New Orleans on the Dawn next month. Since the Dawn is the sister ship of the Star it will be interesting to see what the differences are.

Again, great review and thanks for taking the time to write it.

I was trying to find the review of the Panama Canal by Oakman, as mentioned in one of the posts but cannot seem to locate it. We are sailing in April through the canal and it was mentioned your review was terrific. Can you please direct me to where the review is located on this website. Thanks a bunch.

I was trying to find the review of the Panama Canal by Oakman, as mentioned in one of the posts but cannot seem to locate it. We are sailing in April through the canal and it was mentioned your review was terrific. Can you please direct me to where the review is located on this website. Thanks a bunch.

Hi Beachbumsns..

Thank you for the kind words, but once you read Oakman's review, it makes mine look like amateurish ln comparison.

Here is the link Oakman's Review of his STAR cruise on the Panama Canal....it is fantastic and was a great help for me before cruising,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2130707

RE: Beaches:

My Travel Agent booked it for me and Beaches arranged for a driver to pick us up at the pier and take us there and back (the cost $80) and the driver was willing to include a tour of the area if I wanted and I did not, but she did explain some interesting facts along the way. I probably overpaid, but I went along with it.

The day pass cost $100 for my DW and myself and included Breakfast and Lunch in any of the restaurants I chose to eat at and use of the entire facility (as though I was a guest)

Unlimited drinks as well (with a swim up bar in the pool) :D :D

By the way, tipping is not allowed at Beaches!

We felt that we certainly got our money's worth. :)

I am sure you can also get a day pass directly with Beaches.

I have done with before with Sandals and they are owned by the same company.

I went on their web site on previous cruises and used the contact information and chat venue.

Hope this helps.

If this is your first cruise with NCL, and you like the casual venue, you will love your cruise.

My favorite part of NCL is the Specialty Restaurants and the best bargain is La Cucina....

their calamari appetize, pizzas and chicken cutlet parm are fantastic!

Don

Got off the STAR a few days ago and had to get over my "post cruise depression syndrome" before writing this review! :)

Let me sum up my cruise in one word....WOW!!!

It was one of the best cruises I have ever been on.

We cruised from Los Angeles to Miami because we preferred the long air trip going from NY than coming back.

Don

Thank you Don! I was so great meeting you both and seeing you around the ship. I'm so very sorry I had to miss Barbara's karaoke. :( I did participate in a few scavenger hunts and even won the second one - is that different than what you are talking about?

I loved participating in many of the ships activities during the day and most of the dance parties at night. I also found it hard to get into the White Party because of the choice of music. Once Michael Jackson's Beat It was over - it when down hill from there in my opinion. So, basically there was 15 or 20 minutes of fun.

hugs!!

Emi

Hi Beachbumsns..

Thank you for the kind words, but once you read Oakman's review, it makes mine look like amateurish ln comparison.

Here is the link Oakman's Review of his STAR cruise on the Panama Canal....it is fantastic and was a great help for me before cruising,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2130707

RE: Beaches:

My Travel Agent booked it for me and Beaches arranged for a driver to pick us up at the pier and take us there and back (the cost $80) and the driver was willing to include a tour of the area if I wanted and I did not, but she did explain some interesting facts along the way. I probably overpaid, but I went along with it.

The day pass cost $100 for my DW and myself and included Breakfast and Lunch in any of the restaurants I chose to eat at and use of the entire facility (as though I was a guest)

Unlimited drinks as well (with a swim up bar in the pool) :D :D

By the way, tipping is not allowed at Beaches!

We felt that we certainly got our money's worth. :)

I am sure you can also get a day pass directly with Beaches.

I have done with before with Sandals and they are owned by the same company.

I went on their web site on previous cruises and used the contact information and chat venue.

Hope this helps.

If this is your first cruise with NCL, and you like the casual venue, you will love your cruise.

My favorite part of NCL is the Specialty Restaurants and the best bargain is La Cucina....

their calamari appetize, pizzas and chicken cutlet parm are fantastic!

Don

Thanks so much Don for the information on the Beaches resort. I will be getting in touch with them. That sounds like a great way to spend the day. We travel a lot, but have not been to Jamaica yet. I appreciate all the information and we are excited to sail on the Norwegian ships.

Beachbumsns...

Hope you get a chance to go there.

We enjoyed the day and the facilities so much, we may even go back for a week with my daughter's family (my two grandsonswould have a great time there!)

The kids we saw there were having a great time and they have special activities with "activity counselors" so the adults can enjoy some alone time.

Don

A year ago on The Star, all dining areas were overly cautious and everything was served to you including plates, coffee, juice, etc. and passengers' touched nothing. In the MDR they even used paper menus which were destroyed after each use. Is Norwegian still following that same policy?

A year ago the Star had the distinction of the first cruise ship of the year to have a noro outbreak. Sheehan was tripped up when asked about it. They usually institute extra sanitary measures for a week or so to try and stamp out the germs.