Am I the only one who could care less about drink packages?

Cathy Maneri

So you just won't cruise X until there is no more 123 promotion or you simply refuse the OBC and free gratuities? I don't understand.

It is possible to book a cruise without 123.

I will avoid those cruises that are only offered with 123. I believe 123 will continue to come and go on the cruises we tend to book.

I prefer a lower cruise price, and the gratuities are not free, just prepaid.

What I find interesting is that so many people are so easily fooled. Celebrity's promotions are a success.

Please explain. I paid $1,600 pp for my last Celebrity 10 day cruise in an 1a. The competition was about $1,000 more pp for the same itinerary with no package. Our average bar bill is usually around $60 - $70 a day without a package. How exactly was I fooled? Next cruise we're paying the same as we did 10 years ago with X in the med. This time we have a drink package and OBC. I'm not the one being fooled.

It is possible to book a cruise without 123.

I will avoid those cruises that are only offered with 123. I believe 123 will continue to come and go on the cruises we tend to book.

I prefer a lower cruise price, and the gratuities are not free, just prepaid.

Perhaps on an inside cabin. My gratuities were free in the sense that I paid my cruise fare only and will not be billed for gratuities. I guess you could argue that they're rolled into a higher cruise fare, but prices for my sailing have gone way up, so for what I paid, without having to pay for gratuities it's a deal to me. I guess everyone has their own definition of value.

The real answer to the question is: it depends on how you prefer to cruise and Celebrity really does have something for everyone, it's just all cleverly disguised in their marketing and promotions.

For example, our extended family went on a 7-night on the Reflection. We booked and took advantage of a substantial resident discount on our room, but my sister got the 123 classic package promotion instead. Later as prices dropped closer to the cruise, those of us without the package were able to get free upgrade on our rooms, though they couldn't without losing the free package. We also were able to take advantage of the shareholder OBC in addition to our other discounts.

We drank when we wanted, and yes, expected a bill at the end of the trip, but aren't the type who can drink all the waking hours, are perfectly fine drinking tap water and iced tea instead of bottled water and fresh squeezed juices (though a glass of wine with dinner didn't break the bank), and feel we came out ahead. Ended up spending $200-300 on booze, but were fine with that considering how much we saved otherwise.

My sister on the other hand drank the ship out of Bud Light along with other tasty beverages. Yes, they enjoyed the convenience of grabbing a bottle of water (which they needed to stay hydrated ;-)). The free drink package definitely wasn't "free" for them, they paid for it by paying more for the trip. But they also were happy, felt like they got their money's worth, knew they wouldn't have a bill at the end of the trip, and it worked with their style.

We both won. You just have to understand what is more important to you, and know enough of how Celebrity's pricing and promotions work to take advantage of it. And that's why the CC community here is there to help you figure out. ;)

Perhaps on an inside cabin. My gratuities were free in the sense that I paid my cruise fare only and will not be billed for gratuities. I guess you could argue that they're rolled into a higher cruise fare, but prices for my sailing have gone way up, so for what I paid, without having to pay for gratuities it's a deal to me. I guess everyone has their own definition of value.

Everyone pays gratuities - whether you prepay at the beginning, or at the end after they are added on a daily basis to your shipboard account.

How would you not pay gratuities?

Everyone pays gratuities - whether you prepay at the beginning, or at the end after they are added on a daily basis to your shipboard account.

How would you not pay gratuities?

It's the '2' in the 123 promo:

mll0ee.jpg

Edited by Scott2.0

OK

Enjoy your cruise on Silly. We sailed the Adriatic on her May, 2013. Simply a beautiful ship.

I think the package is the best thing ever. We stopped cruising for awhile and were doing all inclusive vacations. I also think with all the obc from celebrity and agent & free graits and free package celebrity is actually cheaper then carnival. And I do like carnival but I get a overall better deal from celebrity. I am walking away with 750 obc and the 2 other perks for only 2300 for 2 ppl I think that's great deal

I priced out a vacation for this Easter and a cruise with the Bev. Pack was easily the cheapest way to go, a 7 day cruise was about the same as about 4 days at a all inclusive + on board ship they have the beer I like which they did not at the AI.

If you do your homework, as in the right TA...you can find rooms that are pretty cheap, that do not include the 1.2.3 go promotion......and when u add up the values of the 1.2.3 go promotion, it comes out close to what the ship charges! At least that was the quote I got for an Aqua class room was.

We had part of the 1.2.3 on our 2013 Med cruise(classic pkg and gratuities)...being that it was so port intensive, we never got to drink a lot,lol and when I added up the drinking bill (beer, rum ,water, coffee) it was approx at the price we would have had to pay for the classic pkg out of pocket.

But it was very nice on not having to worry about a drink bill at the end of the cruise! And I'm not a fussy drinker....Beer..as long as it is cold..rum, mix it with coke. For us it is a nice convenience to have...each their own

For those who do like a few drinks then a free drinks package must seem like a great idea. Like Richsea my wife does not drink and is w/c bound, so I don't drink too much either, don't want to be drunk in charge of a wheelchair.

BUT one thing I did notice on my last X cruise was just how much drink prices had escalated, and I wonder if those of us still paying for our drinks might just be subsidising those on drinks packages

Please explain. I paid $1,600 pp for my last Celebrity 10 day cruise in an 1a. The competition was about $1,000 more pp for the same itinerary with no package. Our average bar bill is usually around $60 - $70 a day without a package. How exactly was I fooled? Next cruise we're paying the same as we did 10 years ago with X in the med. This time we have a drink package and OBC. I'm not the one being fooled.

Good for you. Some cruises are a bargain and others are not. The packages work for some cruises and for others have just served to greatly inflate prices. It looks as though you have been on two Celebrity cruises, so maybe you don't have much to compare with.

Good for you. Some cruises are a bargain and others are not. The packages work for some cruises and for others have just served to greatly inflate prices. It looks as though you have been on two Celebrity cruises, so maybe you don't have much to compare with.

Oh, heavens, not that again :rolleyes: does only doing 2 celebrity cruises mean I don't know pricing? Does it mean I have no clue as to what I should be paying? Give it a rest, it's getting old. We're not all lemmings following drink packages, give us some credit for doing the math.

Oh, heavens, not that again :rolleyes: does only doing 2 celebrity cruises mean I don't know pricing? Does it mean I have no clue as to what I should be paying? Give it a rest, it's getting old. We're not all lemmings following drink packages, give us some credit for doing the math.

As I said, the packages are good value on some cruises and on many others they are not. If you aren't pricing cruises to lots of different places, and even better actually sailing a lot, you probably wouldn't see it. My comment wasn't directed to you but you seem to take this personally. My statement is in general and applies to many cruises. There are significant increases on many cruises that began with the advent of these promotions.

You did well for yourself...great. Many others haven't. If it doesn't apply to you then there's no need for eye rolling or offense. Would you like to say that the vast majority of cruises with these promotions are great deals? If so, I'll do a little eye rolling of my own.

There are lots of great bargains to the Carribbean right now because of the abundance of ships there.

Edited by Ma Bell

. Would you like to say that the vast majority of cruises with these promotions are great deals? If so, I'll do a little eye rolling of my own.

There are lots of great bargains to the Carribbean right now because of the abundance of ships there.

It's not up to me to decide value for someone else. If someone doesn't get any elite perks and drinks $100 a day, that's going to be a very different value than someone with free drinks in the lounge every night and only buys a glass of wine with dinner each night.

You made a statement that so many people are easily fooled. I think you need to give a little more credit that people have done the math and have chosen what works for them.

I am excited about the beverage package. I always watch my pennies on the cruise and would be saying do I really need the specialty coffee or the bottled water or the glass of wine or frozen drinks and being cheap would not get them. Having it rolled into the cruise price means I can get what I want and not feel guilty about spending the money. I realize I am paying more for my cruise but in my mind it doesn't feel that way. Even if I only break even with what I drink,that would be more than I would order if I was paying for it and thinking about it every time I wanted something.

On my last Carnival cruise I got the alcohol package which does not include coffee or water and pretty much broke even. So with coffee and water I know it will be good for me.

I am not a heavy drinker and cruises are about the only time I do drink.

Laura

It's not up to me to decide value for someone else. If someone doesn't get any elite perks and drinks $100 a day, that's going to be a very different value than someone with free drinks in the lounge every night and only buys a glass of wine with dinner each night.

You made a statement that so many people are easily fooled. I think you need to give a little more credit that people have done the math and have chosen what works for them.

I agree, I think a lot of folks know exactly what they are getting and it doesn't matter if they have cruised on 1 Celebrity cruise or 100.

For me, I don't drink enough to go for the drink package, if I have to chose only 1 of the 123go promotion and will take the OBC, except on a recently booked cruise where I get the drink package along with free gratuities and OBC.