Cool Feature. Which Ship is This?

monicakm

I'm watching this Youtube video and see what looks to be a glass walkway where you can see the ocean below. Which ship is this. All the videos I've seen about Princess, I've never seen this. It starts at 5:12 in the video.

Interesting video if you've never seen it...

Tribute to Princess Cruises Founder Stanley McDonald

I'm watching this Youtube video and see what looks to be a glass walkway where you can see the ocean below. Which ship is this. All the videos I've seen about Princess, I've never seen this. It starts at 5:12 in the video.

The Seawalk. The Regal and the Royal both have it.

On the Princess website they have several videos for the Royal/Regal on the Seawalk and several other features.

Man, some of your guys sure know how to suck the fun out of someone's enthusiam. :rolleyes:

Hi monicakm,

As a cruiser with 50 cruises under my belt I still found the SeaWalk rather cool, that is, after I got over my fear of heights. After that, I made it a point to walk across it every day at least once. The glass floor can become quite slippery, so hold onto the hand rail just in case.

Have fun!!! :D

11580132824_d84a790cc7_c.jpg

11561864853_95fb8153e5_c.jpg

I still found the SeaWalk rather cool, that is, after I got over my fear of heights. After that, I made it a point to walk across it every day at least once. The glass floor can become quite slippery, so hold onto the hand rail just in case.

+1. We LOVED this - a very quick, quiet getaway from the normal traffic flow. Fabulous. I'm personally glad so few use it. I can't say I understand why they don't, though.

Why did you not get close? Others have said hardly anyone uses it, so it doesn't seem to be croweded. Just wondering.

By the way, I am a native of Denver.

Well it is fun once or twice. After that, maybe not so much.

And, we are also from the Denver area, not that that makes much deference as far as the Skywalk goes. Maybe kind of a Casa Bonita thing?:cool:

I enjoyed the Sea Walk on the Royal. I took photos and videos and made it a destination twice on my 10 days. After that, if I was on the deck it's on I would walk it instead of going around it. Kind of enjoyed daring myself!

Maureen

Man, some of your guys sure know how to suck the fun out of someone's enthusiam. :rolleyes:

OK, I've ridden the world's fastest, tallest roller coaster, the world's tallest vertical drop ride, the world's tallest sky coaster, and sky dived from nearly 3 miles up, so maybe my thrill bar is set higher than some others'.

But though there are many nice things about the Royal class - great Piazza, much improved HC, more stylish MDRs - the Big New Features are a glass sidewalk and a 5-minute dancing fountain show that, at least on the inaugural TA, hardly anyone went to see and that only looked its best from a limited vantage point at the bar. I always love looking down at the ocean from the promenade deck, which on the R/R is no more (though you can look out at where it used to be through the windows of the revenue-producing jewelry store). I like to stare down at the wake from the aft of the promenade level, which on the R/R is inaccessible, replaced by revenue-producing cabins. And what might have been much-needed pool space is taken up by fountain platform instead

As has been pointed out, hardly anyone cares about the Skywalk enough to use it, and both it and the fountain show are gimmicks that look all whiz-bang in the brochure but are 1-to-5-minute experiences that hardly compensate for the loss of a number of valuable public spaces. Skywalkers or the Skywalk: where would most of us prefer to hang out? Which, indeed, has the better view?

Still, not as bad as what they're doing to the Island.

Edited by shepp

OK, I've ridden the world's fastest, tallest roller coaster, the world's tallest vertical drop ride, the world's tallest sky coaster, and sky dived from nearly 3 miles up, so maybe my thrill bar is set higher than some others'.

But though there are many nice things about the Royal class - great Piazza, much improved HC, more stylish MDRs - the Big New Features are a glass sidewalk and a 5-minute dancing fountain show that, at least on the inaugural TA, hardly anyone went to see and that only looked its best from a limited vantage point at the bar. I always love looking down at the ocean from the promenade deck, which on the R/R is no more (though you can look out at where it used to be through the windows of the revenue-producing jewelry store). I like to stare down at the wake from the aft of the promenade level, which on the R/R is inaccessible, replaced by revenue-producing cabins. And what might have been much-needed pool space is taken up by fountain platform instead

As has been pointed out, hardly anyone cares about the Skywalk enough to use it, and both it and the fountain show are gimmicks that look all whiz-bang in the brochure but are 1-to-5-minute experiences that hardly compensate for the loss of a number of valuable public spaces. Skywalkers or the Skywalk: where would most of us prefer to hang out? Which, indeed, has the better view?

Still, not as bad as what they're doing to the Island.

As you have eluded to, to each his own, based on whatever their 'thrill level' is set at. But in my life I've done just as many thrilling things, thrilling at least to me: climbed inside the Great Pyramid of Egypt; stood and gazed at the Himalayas and Mt. Everest from Darjeeling; ventured for two months through the Indonesian archipelago; viewed Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower and Rio de Janeiro from Christ the Redeemer; taken a photo-safari through the Tsavo of Kenya; watched the morning sun as it painted the Taj Mahal; cruised up the Nile for a week; among many, many adventures. Those to me, were thrilling.

But I don't try to compare them to SeaWalk. It is, what it is.

Yes, Princess Cruises made a big deal of these innovations - SeaWalk and the Dancing Fountains - maybe a bit too much of a big deal. However, if the bar was set high in so far as their expectations of Royal Princess, none could have been higher than mine after the amount of effort I put into 'Everything' thread. Yet, after all I have seen and done in my life, I still enjoyed them.

It's the simple pleasures, the little things, that I still enjoy, and I'm not so jaded or stacking up my life's comparisons to the point to where I am making an exerted effort to criticize and/or compare everything.

And if watching the ocean or viewing the wake from a wrap-around promenade deck, or having large and plentiful pools were that important to me, I wouldn't book this ship. Those features are not accessible on Royal Princess and Regal Princess, yet people who insist it is that important to them, still go on these ships.

The Dancing Fountains on Royal Princess are not Bellagio, and they're not meant to be. It is, what it is. Enjoy it or don't. Use it or don't. But you knew it was there when you booked the cruise, just like I was aware of the Chef's Table Lumiere, expanded Sanctuary, and full-sized basketball court were there, and never used them.

:D

I would enjoy it (many times) and the lighting looks beautiful at night, however, I'm not booked on either of the ships the Skywalk is on. I was just watching a Princess video. Can't understand why more people don't use it. There is a skywalk at the Grand Canyon where you can walk way out over the canyon floor on a glass floor. That was thrilling! :)

I would enjoy it (many times) and the lighting looks beautiful at night, however, I'm not booked on either of the ships the Skywalk is on. I was just watching a Princess video. Can't understand why more people don't use it. There is a skywalk at the Grand Canyon where you can walk way out over the canyon floor on a glass floor. That was thrilling! :)

I spent fourteen days on Royal Princess, and from the onset knew that I wanted to experience as much of that ship which was important to me. As shepp mentioned above, maybe their 'thrill level' (or sophistication level, usefulness level) prevented them from accessing it or enjoying it. To each his/her own. I enjoyed it, others didn't go near it. And, yes, at night it was amazing to walk through!

I spent fourteen days on Royal Princess, and from the onset knew that I wanted to experience as much of that ship which was important to me. As shepp mentioned above, maybe their 'thrill level' (or sophistication level, usefulness level) prevented them from accessing it or enjoying it. To each his/her own. I enjoyed it, others didn't go near it. And, yes, at night it was amazing to walk through!

Of course that should have been SEAwalk, not SKYwalk! :p

Most people do not realize the lack-of-sun problem before booking. And these have some of the larger balconies available, so are more desirable to book.

Just like the reviewer who didn't do their homework, booked a cabin under the SeaView Bar on the Marina Deck, only to find the entire sky 'eclipsed' by the deck overhang.

All it takes is a little research. ;) For that matter some people put in considerably more research in the type of television they buy than the cruise cabin they book. Both are just as important in their own right.

As you have eluded to, to each his own, based on whatever their 'thrill level' is set at. But in my life I've done just as many thrilling things, thrilling at least to me: climbed inside the Great Pyramid of Egypt; stood and gazed at the Himalayas and Mt. Everest from Darjeeling; ventured for two months through the Indonesian archipelago; viewed Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower and Rio de Janeiro from Christ the Redeemer; taken a photo-safari through the Tsavo of Kenya; watched the morning sun as it painted the Taj Mahal; cruised up the Nile for a week; among many, many adventures. Those to me, were thrilling.

But I don't try to compare them to SeaWalk. It is, what it is.

Yes, Princess Cruises made a big deal of these innovations - SeaWalk and the Dancing Fountains - maybe a bit too much of a big deal. However, if the bar was set high in so far as their expectations of Royal Princess, none could have been higher than mine after the amount of effort I put into 'Everything' thread. Yet, after all I have seen and done in my life, I still enjoyed them.

It's the simple pleasures, the little things, that I still enjoy, and I'm not so jaded or stacking up my life's comparisons to the point to where I am making an exerted effort to criticize and/or compare everything.

And if watching the ocean or viewing the wake from a wrap-around promenade deck, or having large and plentiful pools were that important to me, I wouldn't book this ship. Those features are not accessible on Royal Princess and Regal Princess, yet people who insist it is that important to them, still go on these ships.

The Dancing Fountains on Royal Princess are not Bellagio, and they're not meant to be. It is, what it is. Enjoy it or don't. Use it or don't. But you knew it was there when you booked the cruise, just like I was aware of the Chef's Table Lumiere, expanded Sanctuary, and full-sized basketball court were there, and never used them.

Always enjoy your posts and out look on life!

Live long, cruise often!!:D

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I've never been attracted to other cruise lines for the rock climbing wall, water slide, dolphin/diving show or ice rink. I wouldn't use them, either. To me, it's a waste of public space. For others, it enhances their cruise.

I'll be on the Royal in June. I'll walk the walk, but I'm not planning on the water show.

I can't fault Princess for trying something that could appeal to or be enjoyed by a larger segment of their passengers.

Why did you not get close? Others have said hardly anyone uses it, so it doesn't seem to be croweded. Just wondering.

By the way, I am a native of Denver.

Because the Med cruise is so port intensive we only had a few hours at night in the DR and the theater. Back up at 5:00 am. Only 2 sea days.

Maybe I'm confusing ships, but I distinctly recall sitting outside of crooners on the promenade deck of the Regal and watching the ocean. No, it does not go all the way around, but there are seating areas to sit and relax. I also don't recall the promenade deck being traversable without interruption on either the Ruby or CB - flight of stairs or something. In terms of aft view, again unless my memory is wrong....the aft terrace pool (yes small) as well as the outside portion on HC offered areas to enjoy wake views.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums