Northeast Blizzard

navybankerteacher

Well your ideas didn't work for us last year when we missed a cruise.

Our cruise was scheduled to start on a Sunday. We were scheduled to fly to Tampa on Thursday via Atlanta -- no direct flights from Pittsburgh. The massive snow storm started on Monday evening and the airports closed down on Tuesday. Then the storm stalled and the airports didn't open until late Friday afternoon. The soonest Delta could get us out would have been late Monday night or Tuesday.

Thankfully we had insurance and refundable airline tickets.

Sorry you missed your cruise and I remember when that happened.

Did insurance try to make you fly to meet the ship at one of the ports after embarkation day?

I just heard that 7,500 flights have been canceled and all the NY airports are still closed. Glad I'm not flying until Sunday.

We missed the brunt of this storm and we're very grateful for that and for not losing power.

Happy NY/NJ did not get hit as hard as might have been.

Boston and the Cape and the Islands of Massachusetts seem to be the bullseye.. I have at least 24" of snow in my driveway but thankfully it is light snow so there were far fewer power outages than might have been. My fear was to lose power and have it down for days. :eek:

Now the powers that be are being criticized for putting the fear of God in everyone for the storm. I can just imagine the outcry if people were not warned to be prepared. A case if damned if you do and damned if you don't.

The weather forecasters got it quite right for Boston/Massachusetts. This storm has ranked within the top ten worst blizzards Boston has had in recorded weather history. There is no way I would/could drive out of our neighborhood right now.

The weather forecasters got it quite right for Boston/Massachusetts. This storm has ranked within the top ten worst blizzards Boston has had in recorded weather history. There is no way I would/could drive out of our neighborhood right now.

Yes, it was other areas where people were Monday morning quarterbacking.

YIKES for Boston. We didn't get what was forecasted but it wasn't all that much to begin with. Very cold but the sun is shining.

The heaviest bands just moved about 50 miles east - so New York escaped, but the precautions were well taken. It was, however, frustrating at SXM airport this afternoon as we were boarding our flight to Miami (where we now have to hang out until Thursday) to see that a Jet Blue flight direct to JFK was about to load.

I guess they are more nimble than American in restarting things.

No

They just paid us off.

That's good to hear. It would be awful if they required you try to get to a future port.

The heaviest bands just moved about 50 miles east - so New York escaped, but the precautions were well taken. It was, however, frustrating at SXM airport this afternoon as we were boarding our flight to Miami (where we now have to hang out until Thursday) to see that a Jet Blue flight direct to JFK was about to load.

I guess they are more nimble than American in restarting things.

I understand your irritation. If you are eager to get home, the additional expense and time in Miami could be annoying.

Travel home safely.

Need some advice. We are booked on a cruise out of Port Canaveral the day after Christmas. After the events of the last two days I am worried about a weather related incident on the day we fly to Orlando. We were going to fly early morning on the 26th., the same day of cruise. What happens if a weather event prevents you from making cruise departure? From what I read insurance doesn't cover weather unless you book your air through the cruise line, and I'm not even sure about that. Has anyone ever booked air through the cruise line, specifically, NCL? How does all this work? So you need insurance and book air through cruise line? Booking thru Cruise will not be the most reasonable price. I am tempted to just get an early morning flight on our own and hope for the best!

Any info is appreciated!

Need some advice. We are booked on a cruise out of Port Canaveral the day after Christmas. After the events of the last two days I am worried about a weather related incident on the day we fly to Orlando. We were going to fly early morning on the 26th., the same day of cruise. What happens if a weather event prevents you from making cruise departure? From what I read insurance doesn't cover weather unless you book your air through the cruise line, and I'm not even sure about that. Has anyone ever booked air through the cruise line, specifically, NCL? How does all this work? So you need insurance and book air through cruise line? Booking thru Cruise will not be the most reasonable price. I am tempted to just get an early morning flight on our own and hope for the best!

Any info is appreciated!

Depends on what insurance coverage you paid for. Some will cover you for this (see Krazy Kruiser's post), some won't.

We've been saying for years here: Never fly to your port on the day of your cruise.

I'm confused with your post. You talk about flying on Christmas. The OP was talking about the BIG SNOW that was yesterday/today

Read two posts up - discussing an upcoming Dec. 26 sailing. I did not quote that one because it had just been quoted. Once a topic gets raised, the threads tend to evolve a bit away from consistent responses to only the original post.

I'm sorry, I don't read all the posts when there a lot so I hadn't read that post. Maybe they could celebrate Christmas on the 24th then fly on Christmas.

We celebrate here with one son & his family but drive 10 hours, usually the week-end before or after Christmas to celebrate with other son's family. 3rd son is too far away to get together.

As transplanted Northerner we don't worry much about weather because we drive to all FL ports. One we had a bit of snow but, 25 miles from our house it disappeared!

Yes, flying from New York. Would like to spend Christmas day with family and fly down very early on the 26th. We have been flying on the 26th from NY to Caribbean for several years with no weather related problems. But never left on cruise ship same day as flight down in winter. I am a bit worried. Has anyone ever booked air through cruise line (NCL)?? Is weather related insurance very expensive? We usually don't get insurance at all. Thanks!

You asked and we can only answer with our opinions based upon personal experience and knowledge. I would not fly to any cruise same day as embarkation. Even in fine weather, flights are delayed and canceled for all sorts of reasons.

You asked and we can only answer with our opinions based upon personal experience and knowledge. I would not fly to any cruise same day as embarkation. Even in fine weather, flights are delayed and canceled for all sorts of reasons.

Nor would we. Even though we are within driving distance of some ports, we get a hotel the night before since you never know what delays you can run into when driving.

Same for us. We are covered automatically for cancelled flights and missed trips due to weather and other problems on our Credit Card.

Same for us. We are covered automatically for cancelled flights and missed trips due to weather and other problems on our Credit Card.

It's good you wouldn't lose your money but I try to make it as possible as I can that I won't lose my trip. :o