New to cruising, and have a few questions

AndyT3

Hi everyone. I have asked one of these questions in our specific roll call forum, but figured they'd be better addressed in their own thread.

1) What's the policy on tipping? I plan on paying off the cruise in the next few weeks, including all gratuities. However, I've read a few reviews that claim that other passengers have not tipped their first few days at sea when dining, and have gotten "poor" service. However, when they started tipping, their service increased dramatically. Don't get me wrong, I plan on tipping, but what have your experiences been?

2) Is room service available to all, or is this a service that is specifically for suite passengers? Am I limited to what I can order via room service, like only things from the specialty restaurants, or does it also include the MDR?

3) Can I bring my full size bottle of shampoo and body wash on board? Or is it like an airplane, where you are limited to the ounces of liquid you can bring on board?

4) Can I bring things I would normally pack if I were to go on a trip in the car? Like nail clippers, and shaving razors etc, or are there restricted items?

Again, I know many of these questions are pretty obvious to some, but I'm completely new to the cruise world, and want to make it as painless as possible. I appreciate all the help in advance!

Edited by AndyT3

Hi everyone. I have asked one of these questions in our specific roll call forum, but figured they'd be better addressed in their own thread.

1) What's the policy on tipping? I plan on paying off the cruise in the next few weeks, including all gratuities. However, I've read a few reviews that claim that other passengers have not tipped their first few days at sea when dining, and have gotten "poor" service. However, when they started tipping, their service increased dramatically. Don't get me wrong, I plan on tipping, but what have your experiences been?

This is not true. You are never expected to tip when dining in any of the restaurants. Extra tips might be helpful with bar servers and the occasional bartender in crowded venues... but you are never expected to tip at a dinner table. Your service will not be affected by tipping or the lack thereof. Since you are paying the GSC, you do not have to tip servers at the restaurant unless of course you feel its warranted for extra special service!

2) Is room service available to all, or is this a service that is specifically for suite passengers? Am I limited to what I can order via room service, like only things from the specialty restaurants, or does it also include the MDR?

There is a room service menu available to all passengers. If you are NOT in a suite you may not order from the specialty restaurants... you may only order from the menu in your cabin. If does not include the MDR.

3) Can I bring my full size bottle of shampoo and body wash on board? Or is it like an airplane, where you are limited to the ounces of liquid you can bring on board?

You may bring whatever size shampoo you want...

4) Can I bring things I would normally pack if I were to go on a trip in the car? Like nail clippers, and shaving razors etc?

Yes absolutely. No weapons however. You'd think that is also obvious, but some people do try to pack odd things like knives etc and it's not allowed at all.

Again, I know many of these questions are pretty obvious to some, but I'm completely new to the cruise world, and want to make it as painless as possible. I appreciate all the help in advance!

Happy to help!

Edited by cliffd64

If you prepay the tips, then you're done! Easy! Your service will not be affected by prepaying tips. The tips are customarily handed out on the LAST night, anyway.

Room service is available to all...but it is a special room service menu...not the entire range of meals from all eating venues!

Of course, you may bring full size liquids..the only thing they restrict is booze!

Yes...you may bring any and all toiletry items...scissors, clippers, razors, curling irons, etc....

Thanks for the quick, and helpful replies!

I was a little confused when I read that review that one person left. It seemed like one of those overly dramatic reviews where everything was wrong, and nothing was done correctly. Thanks for the clarification!

I always prepay the tips. Easy and well deserved. Drinks are the only other item with gratuities typically added. If you can get items oats airport security, the cruise ship is easy. I only use carry ons cause of the ease of embarking/disembarking, so the 3 fluid ounces is a challenge. As a newbie, pack your bathing suit and stuff in a carry on so you Dan use the pool cuz your luggage may not be delivered til after dinner. Enjoy!🚢

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello fellow blizzard participant! Welcome to cruising.

I can help you with a few things, you may bring your regular size bath products and your clippers and such in your luggage. I believe it all gets examined just like the airport, for safety purposes that may be a threat. We like to bring some bar soap, as the cabins have liquid soap in the showers and we prefer regular bar soap!

Bringing alcohol on board is a no-no unless you pay for a "corkage fee". I know little about this.

You can bring soda or water, you just have to check it in just like your luggage, or you will have to carry it around until your cabin is ready. You can put a luggage tag on it and check it in, or a helpful tip for us was to put it into a small carry-on and check it in. Your cabin will be ready usually after lunch.

If you are a soda drinker, you can buy a soda card on board.

Luggage tags can be printed on paper and attached by yourself at home prior to your trip.

We pay for our tips when we make our final payment. You are all done with tips if you choose at that point. However, we always put a few bucks when we have service in the bars, restaurants and such, as well as leaving something for our cabin steward. Depending on what type of cabin you stay in, from what I understand, suite passengers receive much more personal service from their cabin staff, so they give substantial additional tips to those who assist them. Again, it is up to you.

Another tip is to be prepared to have a great experience! I hope this helps!:)

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Another question: Now that you've been on a cruise, or multiple cruises, what has now become a ritual for you, more specifically when sailing with NCL? Anything I must do/take/have/participate in?

Which ship? I really like the speciality restaurants, for which there's an up charge.

The Breakaway.

Also, we've upgraded to the mini suite with large balcony. Does anyone have photos of the room and balcony? I'm having trouble finding them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm going on the Breakaway on 12/27/15, but it's the same class as the Getaway, which I did last year and soon this year-2/14/15. Here's my must do's.....I purchased UDP before current promotion. Much on CC about speciality restaurants and favorite dishes. I advise eating outside if Breakaway offers that. Don't miss the shows...most are good, and if there's a jazz club, go there. I love Vibe on the Getaway....it's a private area away from pool madness and another up charge. I always treat myself to a massage, too. I never do buffets, so on boarding, I go to O'Sheehans, which is free pub food. You'll have a great time!

Edited by mrobstad

As previous poster wrote...you might want to bring along some $1 bills to give out for bartenders etc who give outstanding service. I have noticed that a few dollar bills given the first few days ensure really good service throughout the cruise and the staff seems to remember my name and anticipate my drink requests.

I also slip a few fives to the room steward at the beginning of the cruise and some at the end. The staff is usually very grateful for it and will go the extra mile if you make requests.

ALSO having a smile when you greet and talk to the staff will sometimes do wonders.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Another question: Now that you've been on a cruise, or multiple cruises, what has now become a ritual for you, more specifically when sailing with NCL? Anything I must do/take/have/participate in?

One "little" thing that might not be little for everyone (such as for us):

NCL is a "Pepsi products only" enterprise.

This means NO Coca Cola products available, not in bottles, cans, or in a glass.

(I'm not sure what other "Cocal Cola products" there are; our only issue is with Diet Coke. I simply can't stand Pepsi, and DH doesn't like it, but will drink it in a pinch, but usually would just have water, too.)

It's not just a matter of them costing a lot. They cannot be purchased on board, and once the ship sails... there's no corner store... :rolleyes:

Thank goodness for CruiseCritic, or we would have boarded our first NCL cruise expected to be able to purchase it.

(And with a few sea days right at the start, well, thank goodness for the info from CruiseCritic.)

Instead, we bring aboard a duffle full of the bottled Diet Coke. (Nice to have a replaceable cap, less chance for spills no matter where we are. But others prefer the cans. Main point is that none is available onboard.)

So if there are any products that you use frequently, either bring enough along, or ask here.

You can't bring aboard beer or liquor, however. Wine is okay with a corkage fee of $15 per regular sized bottle or $30 for the large bottles. No boxed wine. If there is wine you prefer, it can be cheaper to bring it along and pay, but especially if one is flying to the port, it's not easy to deal with large bottles or fuss at the port city looking for favorite brands.

GeezerCouple