Beverage Package Gratuities Update: 15% to 18%

Celebrity Cruises

Hi I have just gone on line to order my beverage package from Australia, the price has increased from $1432.00(AUD) per couple for premium package to $1750.54(AUD) per couple, and if I don't book by 1 Feb then there is an extra 3% for gratuity. Or has the extra 3% been added already?

If not this is 22% increase and with extra 3% to be added if after 1/2/2015 that makes it 25% increase. How can this be? I know the Aussie Dollar has taken a dive over night but not by this much.........

Interestingly the excursions don't seem to have increased.

If not this is 22% increase and with extra 3% to be added if after 1/2/2015 that makes it 25% increase. How can this be? I know the Aussie Dollar has taken a dive over night but not by this much.........

Actually the AUD has fallen by over 20% from when the prices were set, which was a long time ago. For quite some time, Celebrity have been subsidising i.e. giving discounts to Australian passengers.

As for the amounts, as an example, the US premium package is now 59.00/person/night + grats. The AU package is now 76.11/person/night + grats.

At the midrate, USD59 converts right now to AU75.85, so it's realistically the exact same amount (exchange rates change constantly, I don't think anybody wants a price that changes every second!).

The change in the price is solely because of the recent strength of the US dollar, and weakness of the AU dollar.

You're paying exactly the same amount as US passengers do, adjusted for currency.

AUD is nuts. I have just bought a heap of OBC for upcoming cruises. Amazingly you get US$25 for AUD$25.

I will then buy or upgrade my Drink Package and all other purchases once I am onboard. On the 14 day Drink Package alone that will save me over $250 by paying in $ for $ OBC instead of directly in AUD.

I think all Aussie cruisers need to look at this as who knows where the AUD will end up.

I actually paid for a cruise that I booked in USD, 12 months prior to the cruise. If I waited until actual final payment date I would be paying $1000- more estimated.

To illustrate the huge change in currencys . Late 2013 I paid AUD$47 per day Drink package, now it is AUD76

Edited by jveevers

Hi celebrity,

Just to clarify - if the gratuities per drink have increased, and therefore the per drink price has increased, has the included per drink dollar value on the classic and premium packages also been increased to keep this inline?

Can you please confirm the per drink dollar value for classic and premium beverages for cruises 1 Feb onwards? Is this per dink dollar value the same for cruises xe Aus?

Thank you

AUD is nuts. I have just bought a heap of OBC for upcoming cruises. Amazingly you get US$25 for AUD$25.

I will then buy or upgrade my Drink Package and all other purchases once I am onboard. On the 14 day Drink Package alone that will save me over $250 by paying in $ for $ OBC instead of directly in AUD.

I think all Aussie cruisers need to look at this as who knows where the AUD will end up.

I actually paid for a cruise that I booked in USD, 12 months prior to the cruise. If I waited until actual final payment date I would be paying $1000- more estimated.

To illustrate the huge change in currencys . Late 2013 I paid AUD$47 per day Drink package, now it is AUD76

How do you know you received $25 usd for &25 aud

In Europe and Australia this medieval concept was outlawed years ago :eek:

and when I go to Europe and Australia I adjust my tipping to reflect the culture of those continents.

However the tipping culture on Celebrity ships is based on the US model, and guests should tip as they would in the US.

I imagine with the popularity of the beverage packages these days' date=' tips have probably decreased slightly for the staff. Without a package, $49 would get you 5-7 drinks. With the package, if you drink more than that, no tip because you've exceeded the base cost. It may be that the number of drinkers who consume more than the beverage package value exceeds those who do not thus the 3% increase in tips is necessary to maintain the before beverage package levels. Just a theory. I've had the package several times and between coffee, wine, water, drinks and martinis I averaged 7-10 beverages a day. I tipped extra because I knew that beyond a certain point, the tips associated with the package had been used up. I don't really want to hear how you have the package and only drink 2 coke a day because at the end of the day, the scale tips in one direction or the other. My money would be on the excess drinkers.[/quote']

What?

The cost of the package is not any kind of a limit on how much can be ordered. There are no tip limits associated with the pkg cost.

Hi celebrity,

Just to clarify - if the gratuities per drink have increased, and therefore the per drink price has increased, has the included per drink dollar value on the classic and premium packages also been increased to keep this inline?

Can you please confirm the per drink dollar value for classic and premium beverages for cruises 1 Feb onwards? Is this per dink dollar value the same for cruises xe Aus?

Thank you

What?

The statement said the auto grat is being increased from 15% to 18% not the price of the item being purschased. Just what is so hard to understand?

Edited by wallie5446

What?

The cost of the package is not any kind of a limit on how much can be ordered. There are no tip limits associated with the pkg cost.

Hi Wallie

I think he /she is trying to say that before the all-inclusive drink packages the servers got 15% on each drink. Now they get 15% on the $49 daily and if one drinks more than that then the server gets no gratuity for those drinks.

Hope that makes sense.

When I read this it also made me wonder what the drink package has done to those "special" servers who always attracted more people and therefore had more drink orders and more gratuities. Now all are shared so there is no reward for those special people. I know we always tip people like that extra in cash but I would think the vast majority don't.

I also can't get the thought that Celebrity may not really pass on all of those gratuities to staff out of my head. :(

What?

The statement said the auto grat is being increased from 15% to 18% not the price of the item being purschased. Just what is so hard to understand?

I think this poster might be from Australia where the gratuities are included in the drink price. If the gratuity goes up (ex: $10 drink before 2/1 is $11.50 in Aus. and after is $11.80 in Australia. ) If the limit is $11.50 then that little extra gratuity has priced that drink out of the package. (I know those aren't the limits but $10 was a nice round number to work with)

Is the increase to 18% only for package purchases or upgrade fees?

Will the auto gratuity also be increased to 18% for ala carte beverage sales on board?

What about spa services and other items that previously had a 15% service charge?

I am amazed at the increase in gratuities, coming at a time when the standard of service is deteriorating on each subsequent cruise. I had a 28 night b2b booked for this year where I cancelled one because of the poor service experienced. This is mainly caused by inexperienced and lack of staff in all service areas.

Where i am happy to tip for good service I frequently come across on land in the US rude serving staff who ask directly for tips and give lectures on the 'concept of tipping' as coming from the UK we 'don't understand' the concept! This is when they give you the bill just to remind you to tip. This really gets my back up and spoils the pleasure of the dining experience by their rudeness.

You only have to look round the restaurant and check the number of tables your server covers, multiplied by the number of times the tables are turned around to calculate that servers come away with a pretty hefty pay packet, even if they share. Trying to make out that they are hard done to is a misnomer, sure they work hard but so do staff in the UK who don't receive anything like 15-20% their reward is a fair wage and the incentive is if you want to keep your job then you better do it right or someone else will be doing it and if you give exceptional service you will have the benefit of additional gratuities at the end of your shift.

I appreciate i am in a very privileged position that I can afford to cruise and have a good lifestyle and believe that money should be given to help the poor but making out servers are poor shows a lack of regard for the real poor in society.

One last point, if you don't receive good service, ie the waiting time or lack of service is poor, how do you change this automatic tip? If there is not enough staff that is not the servers fault but if you receive poor service is it that unfortunate server that pays the price!

Apologies in advance aa out the rant but I am seeing red here!

I am amazed at the increase in gratuities, coming at a time when the standard of service is deteriorating on each subsequent cruise. I had a 28 night b2b booked for this year where I cancelled one because of the poor service experienced. This is mainly caused by inexperienced and lack of staff in all service areas.

Where i am happy to tip for good service I frequently come across on land in the US rude serving staff who ask directly for tips and give lectures on the 'concept of tipping' as coming from the UK we 'don't understand' the concept! This is when they give you the bill just to remind you to tip. This really gets my back up and spoils the pleasure of the dining experience by their rudeness.

You only have to look round the restaurant and check the number of tables your server covers, multiplied by the number of times the tables are turned around to calculate that servers come away with a pretty hefty pay packet, even if they share. Trying to make out that they are hard done to is a misnomer, sure they work hard but so do staff in the UK who don't receive anything like 15-20% their reward is a fair wage and the incentive is if you want to keep your job then you better do it right or someone else will be doing it and if you give exceptional service you will have the benefit of additional gratuities at the end of your shift.

I appreciate i am in a very privileged position that I can afford to cruise and have a good lifestyle and believe that money should be given to help the poor but making out servers are poor shows a lack of regard for the real poor in society.

One last point, if you don't receive good service, ie the waiting time or lack of service is poor, how do you change this automatic tip? If there is not enough staff that is not the servers fault but if you receive poor service is it that unfortunate server that pays the price!

Apologies in advance aa out the rant but I am seeing red here!

I agree 100% with this poster. I am a US resident!

...One last point, if you don't receive good service, ie the waiting time or lack of service is poor, how do you change this automatic tip? If there is not enough staff that is not the servers fault but if you receive poor service is it that unfortunate server that pays the price!...

Best approach is a formal complaint via a note to the hotel manager left in an envelope at the desk citing the facts or filled out on an "Attention to detail card" which is sometimes available at customer relations desk. You can also do this on your end of cruise survey form although I've read some inconsistent things about the availability of this. That way you're pointing out a specific problem rather than penalizing all the others who do provide good service.

I do not believe you an change the automatic beverage tip. But I don't know this for a fact and you can speak to guest relations or the beverage manager about this.

Edited by Lsimon

Hi Wallie

I think he /she is trying to say that before the all-inclusive drink packages the servers got 15% on each drink. Now they get 15% on the $49 daily and if one drinks more than that then the server gets no gratuity for those drinks.

Hope that makes sense.

When I read this it also made me wonder what the drink package has done to those "special" servers who always attracted more people and therefore had more drink orders and more gratuities. Now all are shared so there is no reward for those special people. I know we always tip people like that extra in cash but I would think the vast majority don't.

I also can't get the thought that Celebrity may not really pass on all of those gratuities to staff out of my head. :(

The servers get tipped out on the total amount they ring in each day. Which will now be 18% The ones that hustle and ring up $1000 per day will make $180, less the tip out % to the bar tender. An average drink server can now make $150-200 per day!:eek: An average SOM can make that at each dinner seating!

I think this poster might be from Australia where the gratuities are included in the drink price. If the gratuity goes up (ex: $10 drink before 2/1 is $11.50 in Aus. and after is $11.80 in Australia. ) If the limit is $11.50 then that little extra gratuity has priced that drink out of the package. (I know those aren't the limits but $10 was a nice round number to work with)

The Classic/Premium pkg cost still has nothing to do with the drink prices. The cap is the cap, in each, regardless of what someone paid for their pkg, The bar menues have one price listed, ( when you can find one ! :D) not multiple choice;)

Hi all,

Effective February 1, 2015 for all sailings beginning on or after February 1, 2015, our beverage gratuity rate will increase from 15% to 18%. This includes all individual drinks and beverage packages (purchased pre-cruise and onboard). Any packages that were purchased prior to February 1, 2015 will still be eligible for the 15% gratuity rate, and no additional gratuities will be assessed.

Is the increase to 18% only for package purchases or upgrade fees?

Will the auto gratuity also be increased to 18% for ala carte beverage sales on board?

What about spa services and other items that previously had a 15% service charge?

Thats how I read the statement Larry. All drinks and beverages will have the 18% added, just like the 15% has always been added.

One last point, if you don't receive good service, ie the waiting time or lack of service is poor, how do you change this automatic tip?

If you are paying as you go, you have always been able to scratch out the grat if you wanted to when you signed the chit and handed it back to the server.

With a pkg, who cares?

Perhaps...I have only sailed previously with P&O who were (obviously not now) a British company and they certainly had tipping in force then. I also believe that MSC & Costa have tipping.

I genuinely thought it was a cruising thing and not a specifically an Americanism. Hence my original query.

I believe it absolutely does matter what one's opinion on a particular "custom or practise" is...especially when it is forced upon somebody who does not normally expect to follow that "custom or practise" or feels that it is just plain wrong.

Just because the model the Norwegian/American/Liberian company decided to follow is 'immutable', doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Whilst it is a FACT that I will be "expected" to pay my way gratuity-wise...It does not detract from the FACT that I believe it is a ridiculous way for an employee to earn a fair wage.

Sure, let people earn tips to bump up their 'fair' wage, but please let that be on merit.

First, allow me to just say that I don't say any of what I am about to say because I'm some pompous American that believes that our customs or ways are better, but rather am trying to give you the proper perspective. You again are confusing or mixing what IS customary, with what makes sense or is fair to you. One has absolutely no bearing on the other. You are certainly entitled to your opinion--nobody begrudges you that. You are even entitled to say that another country or culture's customs or practices are silly, stupid or do not make any sense. What you are not entitled to (or is at least not appropriate) is to use your own perspective to implement a different practice within another culture. IOW, it totally doesn't matter if you feel the US system is ridiculous or not--unless you wish to deliberately snub a server, you SHOULD pay a 15%-20% tip on beverage or food orders because that IS the practice.

I for one don't understand why I can't hug the Queen, but I wouldn't think of doing it because I respect the local customs, and know it would be highly inappropriate and socially unacceptable in the UK or Australia. If you are a woman and are traveling in Saudi Arabia, you'd be well advised to cover your head and face. I could go on.... These are just some examples of why, when we travel, it IS important to understand, respect and adapt to the local customs and practices.

They have historically, but the reality is that they are getting, and see their biggest future growth outside the US market.

Thus, they are finding they have to adapt to cater for those customers. Things change - not just inside the industry but also outside. Hence it's valid to point out that what was traditionally expected with one customer base, is not as willingly accepted with a different customer base.

The US share of the cruising market has been shrinking.

While it is indeed true that the percentage of U.S. customers is declining and that the global market is growing, the point is irrelevant to the general topic of tipping on Celebrity. Except for possibly a microscopic handful of speciality markets or specialty cruises where there are few North Americans aboard, the subject of this thread pertains to the majority (or is it all?) of X's cruises now and for the foreseeable future. If and when Aussies and other fill 51% of MOST Caribbean, Alaska, Europe and Pacific cruises, then perhaps the day will come with X and other lines will switch to a no-tipping system. But until then, because it's a majority-rules world, the majority "customer base" to which you refer still sets the baselines and customs for the minority "customer base" in which you are one. Sorry! :rolleyes: Edited by Terpnut

Interesting to read about Celebrity and American custom and practice; remind me where all bar one of Celebrity's ships are flagged.
RCI is headquartered in the US, the ships are constructed in Europe but are flagged elsewhere, and the crew comes from all over the world. But none of that is relevant to this thread. The only thing that is relevant and a certainty is that the gratuity/tipping guidelines, plans/promos and customary practices onboard X's cruise ships have always been done "U.S.-style". Again, it's why the dollar is the official currency, English is the official language, etc. etc. Again, this isn't a debate over whether any of this is a good thing or not, it's just the way it is. :rolleyes: Edited by Terpnut

RCI is headquartered in the US, the ships are constructed in Europe but are flagged elsewhere, and the crew comes from all over the world. But none of that is relevant to this thread. The only thing that is relevant and a certainty is that the tipping policies and practices onboard X's cruise ships are always done U.S.-style. Again, this isn't a debate over whether that is a good thing or not, it's just the way it is. :rolleyes:

I'm very pleased that Celebrity posted the information here on CC.

If one does'nt agree with their tipping policies, then choose another cruise line.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I did the math and it is only $6.60 USD for 11 days for the two of us. Nothing for us to sweat at this point.

We thought of staying with the classic package but decided to do the premium for a few of the extra things.

I think Celebrity will make good money off of us as we normally don't purchase any drinks during the cruise. I doubt we will drink $253 worth on an 11 day port intensive Med Cruise. We will take advantage of the Evian though and a few of the fancy drinks.