Solstice Alaska--What To Pack?!?!

defeser

I just booked the Solstice for July 31 to Alaska. I'm traveling with my wife, 11 yr old son, and 8 yr old daughter. This will be our first time to Alaska. All of our other many, many cruises have been to the warm beautiful Caribbean. :)

I could really use everyone's help in knowing what to pack as far as clothing??? I know the weather in unpredictable in Alaska, but I would rather be prepared than to be cold & wet (especially our two kids!). I really appreciate any input from those with Alaskan cruise experience. Thanks!!!

I just booked the Solstice for July 31 to Alaska. I'm traveling with my wife, 11 yr old son, and 8 yr old daughter. This will be our first time to Alaska. All of our other many, many cruises have been to the warm beautiful Caribbean. :)

I could really use everyone's help in knowing what to pack as far as clothing??? I know the weather in unpredictable in Alaska, but I would rather be prepared than to be cold & wet (especially our two kids!). I really appreciate any input from those with Alaskan cruise experience. Thanks!!!

The most important thing to remember is layers. When you go to the glaciers you'll need warm clothes and same day in the towns not so much.

Layers are very important. The highs can reach the mid-70's, the lows can get down to the low 30's.

Look for some disposable rain ponchos. Wear them once, toss them out. Sweat shirts, lined flannel shirts, and hoodies to wear under a light winter jacket works out great. I usually wear a t-shirt, a hoodie, and my light jacket if it's a chilly day. if you don't handle the cold real well, also get some earmuffs and gloves.

Here's what I wore on an offship excursion on my last Alaskan cruise with Carnival which was in late-July/early-August of 2012. The temperature that day was around 35, closer to 30 as we got near the glaciers:

409719_512325815451340_1993607193_n.jpg?oh=702fc97da79e0e7e40768266e7c958ad&oe=552EDE4A&__gda__=1432693915_62c6754e2e3e3345d489fab4414f6cc6

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Edited by Kevin T Brown

Others have answered the questions well. I would definitely take gloves for the day you view the glacier, so you can stay outside for the entire time. I would also take a pair of binoculars as the ones Celebrity supplies are not all that good.

We did the Alaska cruise one sept and were very lucky most of the time with the temperatures. I mainly wore a t-shirt with just a fleece over it and the plastic poncho in case we had rain which we had a lot of!! Layering is the best advice you can get, hope you have a great time.

If you read the Alaska Cruise Critic forum, which is located under "Ports of Call," you will find a great amount of helpful information regarding not only shore excursions but also packing for an Alaska cruise. Some folks have posted their packing lists, and several years ago someone posted their packing list after their cruise noting what they did not use. Use the search function to find these posts.

As already mentioned layers are the key. And you will also need a water-proof, not water resistant, outer layer.

Hope you enjoy your visit to our state.

Were there in August of 2013 and the weather was very good. Took a jacket never, wore it but did wear shorts the whole time. Had no rain the whole week. If your do Mendenhall glacier or glacier trips you will need a fleece or jacket. Been there 3 other times and always had rain at least one day.

Edited by ozark74

I've been to Alaska at least 10 times and the truth is you never know what you're going to get. Just be prepared to stay warm and dry, preferably with layers because it can also be warm and beautiful.