Online planning the worst!

kekilia

Thank you both, Pit Nit and Mmemichele. Your words were both encouraging and helpful to put things in perspective. From my original post, I did warn everyone that I was about to rant. That means letting off steam. I thought the boards were an appropriate place to do that. Surprised that I was attacked for it and in the mood I was in, I gave back some sarcasm as well, which is not generally the way I roll. ;) another beautiful day brings me hope for a good experience.:)

Did I read this too quickly or is there really no discussion about why the OP's TA isn't doing everything they can to educate and assist their client? And, if the OP is not using a TA that regularly books Oceania, my question is simply.... why?

All websites have problems now and again - particularly when changes are being made (like loading the rest of 2016 itineraries). When the website does not give me the information I need, we immediately contact our TA. If they do know the answer (rare), they will find out for us and will walk us through whatever it is that we need to accomplish.

My concern is that the OP is feeling so negatively towards Oceania that this may not be the right fit. It is too bad because Oceania is a really great product (with some difficulties with their website and occasionally with customer service in Miami).

Sorry you are going through such a difficult time. Really think that letting your TA do some of the work for you will make a difference. And also feel that people need a pretty thick skin when negative comments are being sent your way.

Did I read this too quickly or is there really no discussion about why the OP's TA isn't doing everything they can to educate and assist their client? And, if the OP is not using a TA that regularly books Oceania, my question is simply.... why?

All websites have problems now and again - particularly when changes are being made (like loading the rest of 2016 itineraries). When the website does not give me the information I need, we immediately contact our TA. If they do know the answer (rare), they will find out for us and will walk us through whatever it is that we need to accomplish.

My concern is that the OP is feeling so negatively towards Oceania that this may not be the right fit. It is too bad because Oceania is a really great product (with some difficulties with their website and occasionally with customer service in Miami).

Sorry you are going through such a difficult time. Really think that letting your TA do some of the work for you will make a difference. And also feel that people need a pretty thick skin when negative comments are being sent your way.

Perhaps she booked directly with Oceania. You know some people love having that control over their bookings. ;)

I just noticed this week that my May 2015 on Regatta had another perk added. I called my TA and by that afternoon that new perk was added to my invoice. A good TA is extremely important to resolve issues even when I do most of the homework prior to calling mine. Never leave home without one ;-)

In terms of Roll Call and the estimated percentage of cruisers that participate/read/lurk on Cruise Critic, from what I can tell, it depends upon several things. If we just look at Oceania and Regent, Oceania cruisers seem to be much more interested in participating in Roll Call than luxury cruisers. Five percent of Regent's Voyager or Mariner would be 35 people. While occasionally a Roll Call will reach that number (or go higher), it is unusual to see more than 20 people at the Meet and Greet. On Oceania's larger ships, five percent would be 62 people. The Roll Calls we have paid attention to have closer to 100 participants.

In any case, didn't the five percent number come from Cruise Critic in the first place? Perhaps they are taking an average of all cruise lines. This would make sense.

That makes sense. In my experience, when I've set up a M&G on the smaller ships we might get up to 50 people. Usually less than that. (And not everyone who signed on actually shows up, but that's understandable as well.)

On Marina cruises I have had two M&Gs that were upward of 100 people. If I look at my list here on that first cruise (Oct '11) we were maybe 50 people.

But we continue to encounter people at dinner (we like to share) that have never heard of the internet lists, even now. Most of them do NOT ask how to join ... Although as time has gone my more people are aware ...

Mura

OK, let's all calm down ;)

Depending on your cabin category you may book reservations after certain times before sailing: it matters not whether you've paid in full. For example we paid in full in August for the Sydney - Miami sector of the RTW cruise cannot reserve tables until mid March.

OP here (please no darts! LOL): appreciate your advice re TA. I do have one, in fact I used the website *************.com to get the best deal. He has been terrific to get me great packages, on air and cruise. He is mainly a Celebrity TA, but will do due diligence on any request I make. However, I rely a lot on websites because Hawaii is 6 hours removed from East coast time, where my TA is, and it is difficult to call. Emails are better but still not perfect since he can be overwhelmed during "wave season." So, I rely a lot on the internet - and this is true for more than travel, we are the forgotten state, disconnected and overlooked more often than not. I don't mind, after all I live in a beautiful place, but I just want to point out that I have come to rely on good internet service, for everything.

Those of us who get to cruise are amongst the most fortunate people in the world. Sure there will be minor irritations along the way, but they are just that - minor irritations. Just shrug your shoulders and move on knowing that you are on a beautiful cruise ship having the time of your life. We are very lucky.

OP here (please no darts! LOL): appreciate your advice re TA. I do have one, in fact I used the website *************.com to get the best deal. He has been terrific to get me great packages, on air and cruise. He is mainly a Celebrity TA, but will do due diligence on any request I make. However, I rely a lot on websites because Hawaii is 6 hours removed from East coast time, where my TA is, and it is difficult to call. Emails are better but still not perfect since he can be overwhelmed during "wave season." So, I rely a lot on the internet - and this is true for more than travel, we are the forgotten state, disconnected and overlooked more often than not. I don't mind, after all I live in a beautiful place, but I just want to point out that I have come to rely on good internet service, for everything.

As you can probably tell by the "block out", we are not permitted to mention specific TA's on Cruise Critic. IMO, it is really important to deal with a TA that regularly books Oceania cruises. They have Oceania contact people that they can reach easily. You may not like my suggestion...... but, please consider using a different TA. Many TA's that Oceania works with offer a percentage back of your cruise fare and/or extra onboard credits (on some itineraries). Regardless of where you live, if you email your TA at night, you should receive a response the next day (even if it is only to let you know that they received your email and will get back to you).

BTW, agree that you live in a beautiful state -- we owned a home in Hilo for ten years but sold it when we retired :-( As you probably know, there are also challenges in getting airfares and routes that are favorable. A good TA can help you with that as well.

Best of luck in resolving your issues with Oceania.

Edited by Travelcat2

Just wanted to add my twopenny worth. All the posts for any of the cruise lines I have been on (Celebrity & NCL) have always been helpful either in a negative way or positive. this is our first Oceania only just booked (May 19th Montreal/Southampton). All travel sites seem to have their problems, you just have to be patient. Happy Cruising:)

I've done 9 or 10 cruises with Oceania but have to say that they are most unhelpful if you have any problems - as in visas. I'm tearing my hair out at the moment trying to get firm information on two visas - everyone has different information, and Miami is no help whatsoever.

Just wanted to add my twopenny worth. All the posts for any of the cruise lines I have been on (Celebrity & NCL) have always been helpful either in a negative way or positive. this is our first Oceania only just booked (May 19th Montreal/Southampton). All travel sites seem to have their problems, you just have to be patient. Happy Cruising:)

Just off topic, we leave Montreal on May 18th......if you arrive on May 19th you'll have to swim to catch up:eek:

Not a good way to start you first Oceania cruise. Btw the on board experience is so different from dealing with 'the office'

Ooops Lyn can obviously can type faster than I can.

Edited by turnip eater

Thanks for for date reminder, we know we are boarding on 18th, our paperwork says leaves at 1 am 19th. Arriving Montreal from new York evening 17th with overnight stay. Any suggestions for reasonable hotel near cruise terminal. Thanks all😇

Also try posting this on the ports of call forum (for that region). More likely to get responses from locals.

Cheers.