Online planning the worst!

kekilia

Beware, rant ahead.

I can't believe Oceania's terrible website performance. I knew it, too, as soon as I had checked "remember me" and it didn't and didn't and didn't. Gave up, on to other links. The way they eke out the options over a seven month interface is ridiculous. You can't reserve dining, they don't have excursions listed, onboard activities do not even have descriptions until 4 mos out. Dining reservation rules! RULES! Really? I am in an OC and I know I will have 2 res in each, but still, I cannot cross that line and actually plan my itinerary until 90 days out. I feel like I am at the DMV! (Sorry, foreign travelers, it's a US thing!).

Now, the penultimate insult, I had to call to change my La Reserve date and now I cannot access page to confirm new date. Nor do the reservations agents send you an email confirmation, so who knows if I even have a date, now. I understand that many websites will not reflect changes for 24 hours, but it's going on six days!

To those who would say this is just O, or the "way it's done," I say, don't bother to post because the point is it is BAD! It is wrong and I will not consider O a premium line until they have earned it, online, onboard and in every aspect of their operation. Customer service is part of premium service and, frankly, I am not impressed.

Edited by kekilia
Grammar

Me from Hawaii...I can't call you bruddah! LOL. Did you pay in full for your trip? Usually after you pay in full you can book reservations! Girlfriend...Oceania isn't life on the fast side! LOL...Read the guy's review who suggested that Riviera discontinue trips for folks in motorized chairs! LOL...we are not that! We swim with the Hanu...we do all what you do,...but we don't look for excitement. Anyway...if you pay, you should be able to make reservations!

Kekilia,

I saw a day or two ago that a new website had been created, but it had problems and they appear to have gone back to the old one temporarily. So that could be part of your problem.

As to making reservations all this far in advance -- the fact is you really don't need to. If it makes you happier to know in advance, by all means book as soon as you can. (I tend to do so myself but we aren't as determined to do in terms of specialty restaurants as others are.)

You'll be able to book when you board as well because they don't give out all seats before anyone has boarded the ship. Then again, you have more flexibility in terms of timing and size of table by booking early. And people who don't want to share a table (or who already know with whom they want to share a table) are better off booking early. But you are guaranteed a certain number of reservations. And in an OC you will be able to get your reservations without a problem, I personally guarantee it! You can determine what nights you want to make reservations for, and then on the 90 day limit make your reservation.

The odds are that you could wait until you're on board and give your butler the task of booking your reservations. Just tell him when you want them. When we were in an OC he booked us in specialty restaurants every night, and we ended up cancelling half of them.

Relax, it's a vacation!

As to the La Reserve problem, that may go back to the website problems. You said you didn't get an email confirmation but my recollection is that we always have ... but I can't swear to that.

Good luck!

Mura

I have to agree that Oceania's website isn't the brightest and fastest. I've changed to my new address I don't know how many times...and it keeps going back to my previous one. Sometimes, but not always, it spits out my old telephone number. It seems as if, if the address is wrong, the telephone number is right...and if the address is right, the phone number is wrong.

The agents aren't too quick to send confirmations either if one buys a gift. They told me that it's supposed to be a surprise...well, I bought it myself....big surprise, LOL :p I'd still like the proof.

I suppose it's a test of our patience!! Hang in there!!

:D

WOW

Well NO ONE can book the specialties until 90 days out

You can see the excursions ..you may have to go around about way if you cannot get into your booking

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/exploreashore/default.aspx

Just pick the port then your sailing date in the pull down menu

You can also get your TA to send you a list then either book through the TA or when the website becomes available use it to book the ones you want

Edited by LHT28

I get all that. I also get that I am in the OCD category for planning. I understand this about myself. For me, half the fun of any vacation is the anticipation. Nevertheless, (God, I love that word!) I do not understand why O has to have such a complicated system to begin with. Peeps, I know HOW to navigate their waters, I just don't like it! Other cruise lines let me play with my itinerary ad nauseum and they make it work on their website. Book this or that, cancel this or that. Whatever! I don't care that I can "probably" get the table onboard, I want that table and I want it now. I paid my premium, now give me access. Why is that such a hard concept to understand?

Is there anyone out there that actually understands where I am coming from? And isn't going along with the ship of fools who drank the O koolaid. Okay, that was low, sorry. Just frustrated that y'all keep telling me how it works and defending such a sorry website, let alone the O "attitude" that it is the best even while failing at such a simple thing (for a corporation) as a decent website!

I spend a lot of money traveling. I earned it, I saved it and I choose to spend it on luxury...from Fairmont Gold to Virgin Atlantic upper class..to ?? Celebrity, Regent or Oceania? I was tempted by O because of their reputation...I have only a month to decide if it's a go or no go, shouldn't they be trying to earn my loyalty? Or, do they have a full ship and I can walk the plank???

kekilia.. I would cancel now, before it's too late.

If not getting an e-mail insults you.... there will be no satisfactory recovery. :p

Yeah, yeah, yeah. More koolaid, please. Never ever demand a better product.

OK. I can't resist. The OP referred to the "penultimate insult."

Penultimate means second last in a series.

Quite likely from the problems people are having with the website, the ultimate insult is yet to come. :-)

This is exactly what I meant! Good for you! I am posting because I have been growing more concerned with each review, each insult on the website, each step in the process. Therefore, do I sit quietly to await the ultimate insult - to pay several tens of thousands of dollars for a premium line to be treated even worse on the cruise - or do I try to find others who have experienced this and can see me through? Snarky comments are no help, thank you very much.

Me from Hawaii...I can't call you bruddah! LOL. Did you pay in full for your trip? Usually after you pay in full you can book reservations! Girlfriend...Oceania isn't life on the fast side! LOL...Read the guy's review who suggested that Riviera discontinue trips for folks in motorized chairs! LOL...we are not that! We swim with the Hanu...we do all what you do,...but we don't look for excitement. Anyway...if you pay, you should be able to make reservations!

Thank you for your kind reply. I just don't like the way they do things re res.

Kekilia,

As to the La Reserve problem, that may go back to the website problems. You said you didn't get an email confirmation but my recollection is that we always have ... but I can't swear to that.

Good luck!

Mura

Thanks for the info, I will call again and make sure they end me an email confirmation.

I have to agree that Oceania's website isn't the brightest and fastest. I've changed to my new address I don't know how many times...and it keeps going back to my previous one. Sometimes, but not always, it spits out my old telephone number. It seems as if, if the address is wrong, the telephone number is right...and if the address is right, the phone number is wrong.

The agents aren't too quick to send confirmations either if one buys a gift. They told me that it's supposed to be a surprise...well, I bought it myself....big surprise, LOL :p I'd still like the proof.

I suppose it's a test of our patience!! Hang in there!!

:D

Thank you for validating my feelings! It is a trial. I am a first time O consumer and spent a fortune for this trip. It is frustrating dealing with their website and being insulted by certain unnamed posters.

Thank you for validating my feelings! It is a trial. I am a first time O consumer and spent a fortune for this trip. It is frustrating dealing with their website and being insulted by certain unnamed posters.

All the sections of Cruise Critic now have more than their fair share of cheerleaders for whatever cruise line they favor. They will attack anyone who dares to make any criticism of the "one true perfect cruise line" for which they lead the cheers.

Fortunately, these folks do not dominate the actual ships the way they dominate Cruise Critic. In fact, on a recent cruise friendships formed because initially we agreed that we all despised a particularly egregious cheerleader on this board.

Thanks for the info, I will call again and make sure they end me an email confirmation.

How exactly is this a spoiled brat having a tantrum???? Because I paid for a suite or would like a website to work the way it should, or perhaps, after 6 frustrating days, I thought some of the cheerleaders would offer some help, or information, or at the very least some sympathy and validation. Well, exxxxcuuuuse me! I guess I stepped on some toes.

For heaven's sake - just read the thread on the Oceania boards entitled

"Oceania Website Problems" and you will see that they are working hard on the site. They are introducing a new site as a matter of fact and they have problems with it. Michael Moore, EVP in charge of Internet Marketing (I think) at Oceania, has kindly replied to our questions and has explained what is going on. New site should be up and running very soon...

But as you Americans say "no need to make a Federal case out of it" !! Relax, Max!

Some time ago, when the thread topic was about O's unwillingness to officially sponsor CC meet and greet events, someone posted the following statistic. CC participants make up about 5% of each sailing. I have no way of knowing whether or not this statistic is still accurate, but it's worth remembering this super-low number when you're tempted to cancel a trip because of the behavior of contributors to this web site.

As for O's strengths and deficiencies. Of course both exist. It's foolish to think otherwise regardless of the passionate behavior of some posters.

Over my cruising history -- three decades -- I've migrated from Princess/HAL to Celebrity to Oceania, from its very first year. I'm not tempted to leave Oceania even though there are things that need tweaking. I no longer want to sail on a ship with more than 1200 passengers and, frankly, I haven't sailed on O's two larger ships since Marina's maiden season, although I've cruised continuously on O. I've had my fill of packing tuxedos/formal gowns so I'd never select a cruise line with formal nights -- or second class status for passengers who choose not to dress formal those nights. I don't want to take excursions with large groups so I would never select a line that includes excursions in its price. Generally, O meets more of my needs and desires than would another cruise line. That doesn't mean I turn a blind eye to its flaws. It just means I've have enough experience with the alternatives that I understand those are even more problematic for me.

But I need to add one more fact: I remain an independent traveler along with being a cruiser. After decades of cruising in the Caribbean where the most important criterion was warmth, my husband and I began serious destination cruising about five years ago. (Princess through the Panama Canal to Valpariso(sp?) was one of those trips with formal clothes and hiking boots for a side trip to the Galapagos.) Even now, we combine independent travel with our cruises. Our first destination cruise was Bejing to Hong Kong. That cruise involved five hotel changes if you count the ship as a hotel and a land stay in Kyoto during an overnight port call to Kobe. (That's more changes than our independent travel trip to Europe last summer.) Some readers of this post will be aghast, but that's a strategy that works for us.

I'm trying to help you by sharing my experience with O. Keep in mind what matters to you and whether or not O is likely to deliver. Where O is not delivering -- as in the example of a web site that lets you reserve farther out than you would prefer -- ask yourself whether there are enough other aspects of an Oceania experience that you'll be ultimately satisfied. I hope you will. In our case, the alternatives -- regardless of price -- are less appealing.

I don't know if O specifically uses the phrase "Let us exceed your expectations" or whether that's a phrase I first encountered on a different cruise line. At the end of the cruise survey, I was never able to answer "Yes" to that question. I knew the strengths and weaknesses of each line before I got on board and the cruise pretty much worked out according to expectations. Sure there were some small surprises -- both positive and negative., but generally, I'd be more surprised if there weren't some things that I thought could be improved. When I own a private yacht, I can organize everything to my total satisfaction. (One big exception: the time Celebrity failed to understand that the people on board knew about the total solar eclipse and failed to bring safety glasses on board for viewing. We could live with the second rate lecturer, but not the absence of mylar glasses! We all raised such a ruckus that Celebrity bought and shipped mylar glasses to a port call before the eclipse day so all was well, eventually. And I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but I hope you can appreciate that the lack of mylar glasses for safe viewing on an eclipse cruise trumps not being able to make a reservation more than 90 days out from a cruise date.)

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I too had a series of problems with Oceania Miami ...not just their website to get clear precise questions,I too got bombarded with Oceania Cheerleaders .and loads of snarky ...mean comments ........however I went on Marina and French Polynesia ...thank heavens my experience on board was superb. I was very well treated by all.loved the itinerary ,service on ship etc etc etc ..

Now I would love to go back ..but how to avoid Miami office could prove challenging .I have said it many times I hope NCL will clean it up ...there is no customer swrvice in the phone call centre ..none ...nada...zilch ...

I do want to return to French Polynesia and perhaps Australia New Zealand ...I am thinking about it

So ...do not be put off by craapy direct or online service ...once on board everything will fall into place

Go forgetaboutit ..allthe precruise misery ..just have fun ..i sure did

Michele

I have also found Oceania harder to deal with upfront however on the ship all of it goes away and the trip is very nice, ship is very nice, and food is fine. The pass are just normal people and 99% do not have Oceania tattooed on their arm. As you might know NCL holding's has just bought Oceania so I would expect to see merging in the web design/customer service department so things might improve in that area. If you want to try a Luxury line with a web site as you describe you should check Crystal, also once you pay in full with them even if it's two years out you can make all reservations. Happy choices!!

Edited by hypercafe

After decades of cruising in the Caribbean where the most important criterion was warmth, my husband and I began serious destination cruising about five years ago. (Princess through the Panama Canal to Valpariso(sp?) was one of those trips with formal clothes and hiking boots for a side trip to the Galapagos.)

Not that it matters to the basic message of my previous post, but I want to clean up the timeline. I'd completely forgotten our Panama-South America cruise on Princess 12 years ago. We were sufficiently unhappy with the lack of time in each destination that it would be a long, long time before we started taking destination cruises again. The second time around, we solved the time in port problem by adding independent travel before and afterwards.

Some time ago, when the thread topic was about O's unwillingness to officially sponsor CC meet and greet events, someone posted the following statistic. CC participants make up about 5% of each sailing. I have no way of knowing whether or not this statistic is still accurate, but it's worth remembering this super-low number when you're tempted to cancel a trip because of the behavior of contributors to this web site.

Pet Nit - on our upcoming TA April 1 we have over 100 names of CCers on the roll call list. If my maths are working we shall be very close to 10% of the ship - if the ship is full, which for the moment it is not. Thought you might be interested in that...

Pet Nit - on our upcoming TA April 1 we have over 100 names of CCers on the roll call list. If my maths are working we shall be very close to 10% of the ship - if the ship is full, which for the moment it is not. Thought you might be interested in that...

I am interested. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm not sure that a TA is representative of the typical passenger mix. If I were on a cruise where the central appeal is the cruise line itself rather than the ports of call, I'm likely to be very enthusiastic about the cruise line/ship.

In contrast, check out the roll call for a cruise to Scandinavia/Baltic in July 2015. That cruise seems to have fewer than a dozen CC participants.

I was looking at the Nautica roll calls once and got involved with that roll call since I answered a question about arranging private tour guides in St. Petersburg. My setting is to get responses to a thread where I've posted -- and I've never bothered to unsubscribe -- so I've stayed aware of this low CC cruise.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I agree with the 10% number, on the last few cruises I've been on that's about what the roll call members that have actually POSTED to the roll call amount to. On both Oceania & even more on Celebrity. I think for every poster there is at least 2 or 3 lurkers, plus the drive bys. I would put the amount of cruisers that use Cruise Critic as a cruising tool in the 25%+ category, and growing.

I also think the perception of flaming, snarky, cheerleading comments way outweigh the actual reality. But there's no real point in pointing it out. People either get it or they don't, life's too short.