Concerns With Mid September Weather?

jenne252

Hi! We are booked on a Southern Carib Itin departing from Ft Lauderdale 9/13 and returning 9/21. Any special concerns with weather around this time? I live in the Midwest so its pretty mild in September, still nice and warm and not usually rainy...it didn't really strike me that it could be quite dicey that time of year out in the sea.

We will be heading from Ft Lauderdale with a Sea Day then on to Grand Turk, then La Romana, then Curacao then Aruba before we head back and have two Sea Days in row.

Thanks for any advice!! :)

I wouldn't worry. It is during hurricane season but we travel during that time almost every year. Some times they may have to change the itinerary.

Good to hear! Is the worst you have experienced been a change in itinerary? Any rains or horrible seas?

Good to hear! Is the worst you have experienced been a change in itinerary? Any rains or horrible seas?

We sailed one year a week after a major hurricane hit the U.S.

The seas were still very rough. Some people were sea sick and some water based excursions were cancelled

Preface: Knock on wood

It has been a rather quiet hurricane season the past few years. But it's hit or miss at the end of the day.

At least with a cruise, the ship can try to avoid bad weather. If you go to Disney and it rains a few days...nothing you can do about it. [emoji6]

- JPO

Do you avoid this time of year because of it? If not, did you ever have a bad experience?

No, I was just stating a fact. But growing up in Florida, I've been through my fair share of hurricanes.

I haven't had a bad experience yet on a cruise. The worst day on a cruise beats the best day at work!!

Hurricanes in the area you are going to are about as common as tornadoes in the midwest. How often have you been caught in a tornado? We live in Florida but have lived in Illinois. Experienced a tornado once and a hurricane once. We did have a hurricane whilst at sea one year, but the captain just changed our course and we avoided it.

Atlantic averages 10 tropical storms/year. The odds that it will hit WHEN you go & WHERE you go are slim.

We have cruised in October 3x--absolutely gorgeous each time.

BTW, peak hurricane season is August, and it decreases from there. (yes, officially it is June-Oct)

Edited by KKB

Yes as previous poster stated it is prime storm season.

We live in the North so for us we want the hot summer months.

Yea we dodged a couple hurricaines over the years, but have been fortunate to still sail.

Some rough seas---but memorable vacations.

Safe journey

The weather in the Caribbean will be find...nice and warm. Yes, it's "hurricane season", but that doesn't guarantee a storm! Just like "tornado season" doesn't mean the weather is bad if there is no tornado!!!!

Edited by cb at sea

The OP asks if there are "concerns" with mid-Sept weather and the short answer is YES. It is still hurricane season and while ships can make itinerary changes to avoid major storms, the cruise ports and airports cannot move. Are hurricanes a major risk? Not really, but they are a risk.

Hank

The OP asks if there are "concerns" with mid-Sept weather and the short answer is YES. It is still hurricane season and while ships can make itinerary changes to avoid major storms, the cruise ports and airports cannot move. Are hurricanes a major risk? Not really, but they are a risk.

Hank

Hank, I definitely was inquiring about concerns. I was wondering if anyone had experienced any scary weather or anything else.

I didn't realize how easily cruise ship can just change itininerary though... I'm a newbie