RCI Scrap Dynamic Dining

I have been sailing RCCL & HAL since 1993. RCL has made some very poor choices over the past 4 -5 years. If one voices their concerns about said subjects, and enough people voice their concerns (even to the shipboard Captains) or as some have even done; i.e. canceled booked cruises, that draws the needed attention to correct such deficiencies and apparently a combination or series of events has occurred to accommodate the needs of the people who actually take pride in sailing the RCCL and are not interested in the mass market scheme i.e. doing away with the Ice Skating rink to accommodate bumper cars - If I wanted to go to a carnival, I would so, but I am going on a cruise to cruise. :)

I actually do understand this. Had some real conversations of exactly this with several PNs in the CL and empathize. Having said that, in today's dollars in 2015, your same cruise in a balcony in 1993 would've likely been $4000-$5000pp. The level of what you are expecting in an average balcony today just cannot be accomplished at today's rates. However, I am willing to bet that your exact needs and perfect fit are on those same $4000-$5000 suites on Seabourn or Regent that would equate to exactly what your value was in the 90's.

Royal is not a luxury cruise line, you are wrong in thinking that, and you won't be convincing anyone anytime soon whatsoever. You need to look in the mirror and either accept what they are selling or move on to something that suits your needs better. Royal has changed... you haven't. Change or leave.

I say this in all sincerety as I wish this to all fellow cruiers, I really hope wherever you cruise that you have a great one :D

Edited by Hoopster95

Really!? So DD is all about trying to save money, and has nothing to do either increasing revenues or responding to customers requests?

To see how well that worked out for them, check out RCL's Earnings report from last week. Stock symbol: RCL.

Ahhh, I see. Possibly one of the more arrogant statements that can be made.

Oh Well, don't you have cruise line called: Princess, out there in CA... seems rather fitting!

And reading another post from you, you love to utilize the word "arrogant" sounds like an inferiority complex or just a problem with, maybe authority. :)

Edited by bohemnartsn

To see how well that worked out for them, check out RCL's Earnings report from last week. Stock symbol: RCL.

Whether it works to create profits is irrelevant to any claim that it was specifically for cost-cutting (or for that matter for revenue increase).

Ahhh, I see. Possibly one of the more arrogant statements that can be made.

Read into it what you wish.

Oh Well, don't you have cruise line called: Princess, out there in CA... seems rather fitting!

(see above)

And reading another post from you, you love to utilize the word "arrogant" sounds like an inferiority complex or just a problem with, maybe authority. :)

Very unlikely for the former possibly the latter, or maybe an astute observation, but I am not making any claims that my opinions or cruise choices are any better or should be more important than others.

I actually do understand this. Had some real conversations of exactly this with several PNs in the CL and empathize. Having said that, in today's dollars in 2015, your same cruise in a balcony in 1993 would've likely been $4000-$5000pp. The level of what you are expecting in an average balcony today just cannot be accomplished at today's rates. However, I am willing to bet that your exact needs and perfect fit are on those same $4000-$5000 suites on Seabourn or Regent that would equate to exactly what your value was in the 90's.

Royal is not a luxury cruise line, you are wrong in thinking that, and you won't be convincing anyone anytime soon whatsoever. You need to look in the mirror and either accept what they are selling or move on to something that suits your needs better. Royal has changed... you haven't. Change or leave.

I say this in all sincerety as I wish this to all fellow cruiers, I really hope wherever you cruise that you have a great one :D

Actually, I like sailing in the Grand Suites on RCCL w/ two pax. When I look across the pier into a Sky Suite on a Celebrity ship and see how small it is, it makes me appreciate RCCL. As for Seabourn or Regent, they are much smaller ships and I prefer the Voyager class and the venues that are onboard.

As for luxury, I just Do Not accept pax being constantly treated like a herd of cattle with the intention of having to accept this or that, because RCL says it's so. Changes can be implemented and accepted by all concerned within reason, but for RCL to try and completely do away with an entire concept is just plain ludicrous and they have come to realize that they do not wield the power that they thought they had. A simple metaphor: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

I do not think there are many complaints coming from suite guests and Pinnacle members on Quantum as those have been among the groups most positive to the new choices available to them.

I was very pleased with Coastal Kitchen. It was very well done and the menu was varied and well presented. I really liked that they allowed me to bring a couple guests with me and our experience on Quantum was really enhanced.

I had experienced suite only dining first on MSC with their Yacht Club and even though the food was wonderful there, the atmosphere and service were much better at Coastal Kitchen on RCI.

From your cruise history you've never been on Disney. We have (3 cruises) and it works just fine there so it should work on RCI.

From what I can see, people don't like DD because it puts a tremendous burden on the passengers to figure out all the show times and then try to reserve the shows and dining times, lots of work. Then the ressies disappear from the system or the show times are changed. And the links to friends disappear.

If Disney makes rotation work and NCL makes freestyle work-why did Royal fail at DD and can we think they will get rotation correct?? I truly say this seriously as they have me a little hesitant to book right now as that was a major business flop what happened with DD I'm thinking.

Because of this mess Royal seems to be making with so many things and the NCL promotion-I thought it's time to give NCL and the Haven a try. Seems I don't have to worry about reservations until I'm on board and even on a day by day basis as the concierge takes care of it for you-easy peasy.

I know you've sailed other lines so I thought you may have also done NCL also. I'm still baffled that DD flopped so bad. I really liked the whole concept so figured I'd try it on another line. [maybe someone else posting here needs to do the same!!:eek:]

I just think Royal is slipping with suite services also and seem to be floundering around trying new things, its a perfect time to step back and let them work things out. Yes, granted, CK and the suite lounge is a great start but they still need to do something on the other ships to step it up a bit. IMHO :o

I'm trying to plan a family vacation with my Mom as a first time cruiser and would like to book Royal but they have me hesitant right now.:( I want my Mom to really enjoy it and have a wonderful first impression and I'm not sure that could happen right now. NCL is a test run to see what the future holds.

I for one am thrilled that Royal is giving cruisers the option of Classic Dining.

While I am not opposed to DD - there are instances where it does not meet the cruisers needs.

We are planning an extended family cruise for June 2016. There will be 21 of us ranging in age from 14 months to 81 years. We have cruised together as a family off and on for the past 20 years (almost all on Royal).

Cruising allows the luxury for each family to do their individual activities during the day and then be able to meet up as one large family in the dining room to catch up at the end of the day.

Can you imagine the confusion of making reservations for 21 people at a convenient time (remember we are trying to accommodate toddlers and diabetics who both need consistent dining times) and then communicating to everyone exactly which restaurant we will be dining in each night and at what time?

We were originally planning on cruising an Oasis class ship - but were seriously contemplating switching to the Freedom class to ensure we could still use Traditional Dining.

Therefore this recent announcement was very exciting for us - as it ensures that we will be able to continue the Traditional Dining (aka Classic Dining) regardless of which ship we choose.

I am not against DD - and if we were cruising as a couple or even our immediate family of 4 we would definitely be willing to try it.

Thrilled that Royal is offering their customers the best of both worlds!!

Lots of speculation here. A few observations:

1. Wait until Royal makes the official announcement and see how everything falls. In my opinion, it will be a win-win for the traditional time diners and those who prefer a more flexible dining experience.

2. There are lots of good cruise products on the market. I used to be a loyal to Royal type person, but have branched out to other lines like NCL, Celebrity, Carnival, and Disney to see what they are like. All have the pluses and minuses just like RCL.

3. Just because you spend big bucks on a cruise or are Mr. D+ extordinaire, you are not entitled. Sure, the cruise line appreciates your business, but remember you are just a number to them. No different than Medallion and Elite flyers on airlines or hotels. You will get some nice benefits, but those benefits are up to them, not you.

4. If you are disgusted with level of services such as dining, try something else. No one is holding you hostage to cruise. We travel extensively and do a nice mix of land/sea based vacations with our family.

Actually, I like sailing in the Grand Suites on RCCL w/ two pax. When I look across the pier into a Sky Suite on a Celebrity ship and see how small it is, it makes me appreciate RCCL. As for Seabourn or Regent, they are much smaller ships and I prefer the Voyager class and the venues that are onboard.

As for luxury, I just Do Not accept pax being constantly treated like a herd of cattle with the intention of having to accept this or that, because RCL says it's so. Changes can be implemented and accepted by all concerned within reason, but for RCL to try and completely do away with an entire concept is just plain ludicrous and they have come to realize that they do not wield the power that they thought they had. A simple metaphor: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

I still don't understand your fight. Royal has been "pissing down your back: since 1999... it's called Voyager Class. 3500 cruisers, the "mall of the seas" down the promenade, inward focused cruising rather than the "classic" experience outward focus, ice rink. huge sports court, massive three tier non-intimate dining, massive all-you-can-eat buffet for the masses to slop all over the place. You are in denial... your classic cruising experience is not on Royal and has not been for almost 20 years now (wow, Voyager is 16 yrs old this year).

Your battle is futile... 6000 passenger mass-market ships (Allure & Oasis), built for "the average joe". It's mass market. This has been discussed for years on this forum, live on ships, all over the place. Like I said, you're paying discounted prices for you current cabin compared to what you paid 20 years ago. You get what you pay for... pay more and go on Seabourn or Regent to get what you are looking for. as I said, change or leave, Royal will not be changing for you.

Seriously and sincerely bohemnartsn, get rid of your displeasure and complaining, move on to better things that will allow you to enjoy the rest of your cruising life until you can no longer cruise. Why stay in a situation that makes you angry and disappointed?

Edited by Hoopster95

1. Wait until Royal makes the official announcement and see how everything falls. In my opinion, it will be a win-win for the traditional time diners and those who prefer a more flexible dining experience.

2. There are lots of good cruise products on the market. I used to be a loyal to Royal type person, but have branched out to other lines like NCL, Celebrity, Carnival, and Disney to see what they are like. All have the pluses and minuses just like RCL.

3. Just because you spend big bucks on a cruise or are Mr. D+ extordinaire, you are not entitled. Sure, the cruise line appreciates your business, but remember you are just a number to them. No different than Medallion and Elite flyers on airlines or hotels. You will get some nice benefits, but those benefits are up to them, not you.

4. If you are disgusted with level of services such as dining, try something else. No one is holding you hostage to cruise. We travel extensively and do a nice mix of land/sea based vacations with our family.

......... And we have a winner folks!!! :D

Mr. D+ extordinaire, ....this made me laugh!!!;)

I have to say, from the initial information regarding "Dynamic Dining Classic", I think it sounds like an improvement and addresses several of the big issues that DD has had in its rollout.

• Complexity of advance reservations across multiple venues at multiple times, especially with groups - this obviously gives an easy way to make a single advance reservation and be set for the week.
  • Provides a solution for those who have preferred traditional dining with the same waiters and same tablemates through the week.
  • Maybe most importantly, because Classic will provide a choice of dining times matching the traditional "early" and "late" seatings, it should really help the overcrowding during "prime time" of around 7:00-7:30 by spreading out diners into earlier and later slots.

I have to say, from the initial information regarding "Dynamic Dining Classic", I think it sounds like an improvement and addresses several of the big issues that DD has had in its rollout.

I admit. I stopped doing traditional a long time ago and thought DD was a great idea. When Royal did not think it through and soured it to so many-I fear anything new they roll out!! ;) You are right though!

Gosh... all these different names for dining! Now there's "classic".

I want to eat at 6:30 each night. At the same table with the same wait staff. What do I choose? If you tell me My Time Dining.. that did not work out that great on Oasis last week. Had pre-made reservations and ended up at 7 different tables with 4 different waiters even though we requested same table, same waiter. The lines were long and we even got sent to the solarium one night because the dining room was full. I would have opted for traditional but it was full months out.

Actually, rotational dining sounds interesting if your waitstaff follows you. Then the only difference from my wish list is the location of the table. But a little confused about menu... does the menu stay the same in each dining venue (i.e. Silk will always have an Asian theme such as DD does now) or will each venue have the same menu that changes each night like TD does now? I'm not sure how Disney handles rotational dining.

Gosh... all these different names for dining! Now there's "classic".

I want to eat at 6:30 each night. At the same table with the same wait staff. What do I choose? If you tell me My Time Dining.. that did not work out that great on Oasis last week. Had pre-made reservations and ended up at 7 different tables with 4 different waiters even though we requested same table, same waiter. The lines were long and we even got sent to the solarium one night because the dining room was full. I would have opted for traditional but it was full months out.

Actually, rotational dining sounds interesting if your waitstaff follows you. Then the only difference from my wish list is the location of the table. But a little confused about menu... does the menu stay the same in each dining venue (i.e. Silk will always have an Asian theme such as DD does now) or will each venue have the same menu that changes each night like TD does now? I'm not sure how Disney handles rotational dining.

There's not yet a lot of detailed information on "Classic" but from what has been said by RCI execs, it looks to be an addition/modification to Dynamic Dining. From what has been said, it will meet your desires. You can book an "early" slot the same as you used to do with traditional. You'll be assigned a table, waitstaff and fellow diners at your table. You, everyone else at your table and you waitstaff will "rotate" through the various Dynamic Dining restaurants, at the same time every evening. The menu stays the same in the venues - Silk has asian, etc. And as you rotate through The Grande, that will be your "formal night." So the menus should be the same as for regular Dynamic Dining, but you'll have a set time, a set waitstaff, set tablemates and a predetermined rotation.

With Rotational Dining, I'm still wondering, if there are only 4 restaurants, and you are on a 7 night cruise, will you visit 3 restaurants twice, but one only once? Will some people only have one formal night on night four, while everyone else gets two? Will some people have formal night on the very first night of the cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Rotational Dining, I'm still wondering, if there are only 4 restaurants, and you are on a 7 night cruise, will you visit 3 restaurants twice, but one only once? Will some people only have one formal night on night four, while everyone else gets two? Will some people have formal night on the very first night of the cruise?

You raise good questions - have to wait and see the details as RCI rolls out Classic.

Your question brings one thought to mind though - there will be those who want Classic but aren't fans of formal nights. So maybe the solution is to offer rotations with The Grande on first or last nights to those who don't want to dress formally, as dress codes are usually relaxed on those nights anyway.

A major reason some people LOVE cruising is that its easy, relaxing, entertaining and there is no agenda. Its pure freedom from the hectic scheduling of normal life. Dynamic dying forces people to plan ahead, schedule every meal and when you add that onto already scheduling entertainment (oasis class) and a horrible new website design that makes it extremely frustrating for even experienced cruisers to book excursions and dinners you end up with not the best customer experience.

Royal needs to keep it super simple and be king of the Customer experience.

They have the best ships, lets make sure we offer the easiest experience onboard as well.

Consider this. If A,B,C, and D are the restaurants, then the rotation will look like this. Some will start in each restaurant

ABCDABC

BCDABCD

CDABCDA

DABCDAB

It will not have, as some have suggested, having every one start in the same restaurant and go through the same sequence. You could do that but I don't think RCI will adopt it because it will mean that one restaurant will have much more limited availability when the classic rotate through it. Hard for folks not in classic to deal with.

Some will only have one formal night and some will be in Grande on the first night. Most will have two formal nights. Assign any letter to Grande and you can see how it will work.

BTW, Everyone will have at least one night in Grande that is not the first night. Being in Grande on the first night will be a feature for some since Grande is smart casual on night one.

And, in each rotation, you will do three restaurants twice and one only once. Depends on the luck of the draw, I'm sure some will find that something else to complain about. But unless it is an eight day cruise, that the way it is. BTW, the fourth letter in each sequence represents the restaurant you will visit only once.

I see no reason for RCI to allow people to choose their rotation. As people have reported on this thread, making decisions is difficult and it would just be too stressful for people to have to make decisions like that for themselves.

Edited by RocketMan275

Consider this. If A,B,C, and D are the restaurants, then the rotation will look like this. Some will start in each restaurant

ABCDABC

BCDABCD

CDABCDA

DABCDAB

It will not have, as some have suggested, having every one start in the same restaurant and go through the same sequence. You could do that but I don't think RCI will adopt it because it will mean that one restaurant will have much more limited availability when the classic rotate through it. Hard for folks not in classic to deal with.

Some will only have one formal night and some will be in Grande on the first night. Most will have two formal nights. Assign any letter to Grande and you can see how it will work.

BTW, Everyone will have at least one night in Grande that is not the first night. Being in Grande on the first night will be a feature for some since Grande is smart casual on night one.

Good explanation! I would be disappointed if I only got one night in Grande.

a major reason some people love cruising is that its easy, relaxing, entertaining and there is no agenda. Its pure freedom from the hectic scheduling of normal life. Dynamic dying forces people to plan ahead, schedule every meal and when you add that onto already scheduling entertainment (oasis class) and a horrible new website design that makes it extremely frustrating for even experienced cruisers to book excursions and dinners you end up with not the best customer experience.

Royal needs to keep it super simple and be king of the customer experience.

They have the best ships, lets make sure we offer the easiest experience onboard as well.

what you say!!!

ABCDABC

BCDABCD

CDABCDA

DABCDAB

And, in each rotation, you will do three restaurants twice and one only once. Depends on the luck of the draw, I'm sure some will find that something else to complain about. But unless it is an eight day cruise, that the way it is. BTW, the fourth letter in each sequence represents the restaurant you will visit only once.

I see no reason for RCI to allow people to choose their rotation. As people have reported on this thread, making decisions is difficult and it would just be too stressful for people to have to make decisions like that for themselves.

Disney allows you to choose your rotation if you know about that feature. Most pax don't it seems. So you align Lumiere with formal night.

Disney allows you to choose your rotation if you know about that feature. Most pax don't it seems. So you align Lumiere with formal night.

Didn't say it couldn't be done. Just see no reason to subject passengers to the stress of having to make so many decisions, something they do not seem to be able to handle.

I often wonder how they can take a cruise. They have to decide to cruise, decide on a cruise line, a cruise ship, a cabin, specialty restaurants, and shore excursions. How do they make all those decisions if it's so difficult to decide where to go for dinner?

I'd like that as DH doesn't want to dress formally but I have been reading that a jacket with open shirt is OK -- maybe I could get him to compromise as the food in Grande is good. However, if we had the same tablemates, he could eat the the WJ if he is too stubborn while I go to Grande. Or we will got to one or two Specialty Restaurants.

I would like to know the rotation ahead of time so I could book Specialty Dining.

This addition of Classic dining makes me so happy that I will just work around the formal dining.

I often wonder how they can take a cruise. They have to decide to cruise, decide on a cruise line, a cruise ship, a cabin, specialty restaurants, and shore excursions. How do they make all those decisions if it's so difficult to decide where to go for dinner?

I have often thought the same thing. I suspect, though, that not having to do it before and now it is changing has more to do with the undesirability, than any extra decision - even if that extra decision isn't really that difficult.

Even though it's better having this new option the menus in the restaurants will be the same which wasn't great for non fish/seafood or picky eaters. If they have an alternative menu that will also be offered in each restaurant like the MDR had then I think this new option would be good. .

Agree.

I was on a 41 dayB2B2B on RCCL (15+15+11 days) and this had the same menu no more than three times over 41 days.

With this tweaking of dynamic dining, each of the same menus would be offered at least 10 times over the 41 days.