Port name in Ft. Lauderdale

Is there only 1 port in Ft. Lauderdale? We will be on Oasis next January sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale and I'm looking at a pre-cruise hotel. I'm looking at Embassy Suites on 17th street and they have transfers from the airport to the hotel and then to Port Everglades. I just want to make sure Port Everglades is where we actually sail from :o

Are Port Canaveral and Port Everglades the same thing? Sorry for my stupidity......

No, Pt. Canaveral is east of Orlando or several hours by car north of Pt. Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale.

Edited by robtulipe

Are Port Canaveral and Port Everglades the same thing? Sorry for my stupidity......

No Port Canaveral is in Cape Canaveral about an hour drive from Orlando north of Fort Lauderdale. Port Everglades is in Fort Lauderdale :)

Port Canaveral is about an hour north of Port Everglades and 40 minutes due East of Orlando. Port Canaveral is adjacent to the NASA facilities and you can actually see the main building (and a launch if you're lucky enough) from the ship. Port Everglades is in Ft. Lauderdale.

Port Canaveral is about an hour north of Port Everglades and 40 minutes due East of Orlando. Port Canaveral is adjacent to the NASA facilities and you can actually see the main building (and a launch if you're lucky enough) from the ship. Port Everglades is in Ft. Lauderdale.

Not true. Port Canaveral is more like 3 hours north of Port Everglades, not an hour! (Give or take, depending on traffic)

We took a cab from the cruise terminal to the airport on one of our cruises sailing from Port Everglades. The driver said when there are a lot of ships in port. The Navy yard is some times used.

Is this true?

Never heard of this and have seen as many as six or seven cruise ships in Port Everglades at one time and they were all at designated cruise terminals as far as I could tell. Not even sure where the "Navy yard" is. :confused: There's a Coast Guard station in the port but it's very small.

Edited by joepeka

Port Everglades is the port located in the city of Fort Lauderdale. During the busy winter season they have berth space to handle up to ten cruise ships. The port is also used to load and off load commercial vessels. Tankers also off load gasoline and other fuels that are refined at other facilities in the United States and sold in the State Of Florida. There is no specific naval facility located at Port Everglades. During the year various naval vessels from countries around the world will stop at Port Everglades for supplies, shore leave, etc. Some commercial ships will drop anchor offshore and wait days for a berth to open up so that they can enter the port to conduct their business.

Yep, Port Everglades and Fort Lauderdale are the same port, which gets confusing since all cruise lines except Carnival report it as Ft. Lauderdale, whereas Carnival reports it as Port Everglades.

So, when using sites like CruiseTT, you have to check under both names to see how many ships will be in port that day, the port load, etc. :confused:

Port Everglades is the port located in the city of Fort Lauderdale. During the busy winter season they have berth space to handle up to ten cruise ships. The port is also used to load and off load commercial vessels. Tankers also off load gasoline and other fuels that are refined at other facilities in the United States and sold in the State Of Florida. There is no specific naval facility located at Port Everglades. During the year various naval vessels from countries around the world will stop at Port Everglades for supplies, shore leave, etc. Some commercial ships will drop anchor offshore and wait days for a berth to open up so that they can enter the port to conduct their business.

Thank you for your help. This clarifies things for me.

10 berths! That's a lot. How many berths does Miami have?

Port Of Miami has a total of seven cruise ship berths. Six are located on the north side of Dodge Island, alongside of the main shipping channel. A seventh berth is located on the south side of Dodge Island, very near the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines corporate headquarters. The rest of the berths on the south side are used for commercial vessels.

Port Of Miami has a total of seven cruise ship berths. Six are located on the north side of Dodge Island, alongside of the main shipping channel. A seventh berth is located on the south side of Dodge Island, very near the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines corporate headquarters. The rest of the berths on the south side are used for commercial vessels.
You forgot where the Bimini Superfast docks.

Is there only 1 port in Ft. Lauderdale? We will be on Oasis next January sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale and I'm looking at a pre-cruise hotel. I'm looking at Embassy Suites on 17th street and they have transfers from the airport to the hotel and then to Port Everglades. I just want to make sure Port Everglades is where we actually sail from :o

Nothing against Embassy Suites. In fact, staying there next month. But if it doesn't work for you try this link:

http://hotelguides.com/attraction-maps/florida/map-hotels-near-port-everglades-cruise-terminal-fl.html

It will show other options along with a map of the port area.