? About Luminae Construction on Equinox

RealDeal

While I too would be concerned if I was booked on the 1st cruise after completion - I have to ask why - why would you book the 1st week out when you clearly knew the schedule? Now you find that it won't be completed within the time frame - who is surprised by that? It is called construction people and sometimes, often even, things are not finished on time.

Even IF the new restaurant was completed on time - don't you think there will be kinks to be worked out? New equipment, training staff, etc. I never go to a newly opened restaurant - people who do almost never have rave reviews. I go a month later when the problems have been fixed. Same here. I say enjoy your cruise with the bumps along the way - and with construction and new restaurant there WILL be some. Bump and roll people.

Who knew when I booked the Equinox in May 2014 for a Feb. 13th 2015 departure they would pick our cruise to be one with construction?? If you knew then I want to send you money to buy me a powerball ticket.

Ditto. Booked cruise in Feb 2014; air in June.

Look, I'm sure it will be fine, but there undoubtedly will be some inconveniences. However, at this point, there's nothing we can do about it.

Hi there,

Here is some specific information:

On 2/8, Reflection, Solstice, and Silhouette construction will start. Equinox started this week, and will continue.

On 3/1, Millennium, and Infinity construction will begin.

On 3/7, Constellation, and Summit construction will begin.

On 4/1, Eclipse construction will begin.

Is it really so surprising that Celebrity would keep it's construction dates and plans nebulous and opaque until AFTER final payment? It reminds me of the Silhouette fiasco last fall, regarding the Holy land....

Who knew when I booked the Equinox in May 2014 for a Feb. 13th 2015 departure they would pick our cruise to be one with construction?? If you knew then I want to send you money to buy me a powerball ticket.

But X announced the schedule long ago - there was plenty of time to reconsider knowing that things might or might not be finished or be running smoothly.

But X announced the schedule long ago - there was plenty of time to reconsider knowing that things might or might not be finished or be running smoothly.

How do you find out about these things ahead of time? I usually book a year in advance also.

Huh? From what I can see even Celebrity was not sure exactly when this would actually happen. And is it on their website ? Confirmation? Did they send a text, email or voice mail regarding this like they just did with their boarding priority? NO. It is obvious they don't want the masses to know.

Since you seem to have had knowledge of this and when, please share all this with all of us. Date, source and details.

How do you find out about these things ahead of time? I usually book a year in advance also.

Nancy - I also book 1 or 2 years out - but when they announced the new "Suite Benefits" - this came out way back in 2014 way before final payment. People either hoped they weren't impacted or they hoped, if booking a suite, that they were among the first to use the new restaurant. Great but that is always a gamble as nothing is ever set in stone. So now some that thought they'd be among the 1st are finding that the construction may not be finished and others will be inconvenienced. I find it difficult to understand that they will now complain - this is a major construction event and I would have been scheduling a month away from it.

Edited by Jane2357

Nancy - I also book 1 or 2 years out - but when they announced the new "Suite Benefits" - this came out way back in 2014 way before final payment. People either hoped they weren't impacted or they hoped, if booking a suite, that they were among the first to use the new restaurant. Great but that is always a gamble as nothing is ever set in stone. So now some that thought they'd be among the 1st are finding that the construction may not be finished and others will be inconvenienced. I find it difficult to understand that they will now complain - this is a major construction event and I would have been scheduling a month away from it.

They didn't announce any kind of details of when this would go into effect or how it would impact preceding cruises until very recently. I read CC all the time and never even heard of "Luminae" until pretty recently. Not only that, but just because they announced Suite benefits, how is one to deduce from that that X would be doing major construction lasting for 3 sailings? Not trying to be argumentative here, but I think it's a bit much to say, "Well, you knew about this, you could've canceled." Just my opinion.

They didn't announce any kind of details of when this would go into effect or how it would impact preceding cruises until very recently. I read CC all the time and never even heard of "Luminae" until pretty recently. Not only that, but just because they announced Suite benefits, how is one to deduce from that that X would be doing major construction lasting for 3 sailings? Not trying to be argumentative here, but I think it's a bit much to say, "Well, you knew about this, you could've canceled." Just my opinion.

Sigh - I will attempt to go back and find the exact month when the schedule was announced. No there was no mention of the name or of any of the details but the date of the new restaurant opening was published quite some time ago - so sorry - it wasn't like people didn't have a clue.

Jane you are correct. :)

X added a PDF FAQ to their website in May of 2104 regarding the roll out dates of the suite restaurants on their ships. I have seen the link posted here on the X board many times since then.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Edited by C-Dragons

Step away from the Kool-Aid. I love Celebrity and have cruised almost exclusively with them for several years. But if you google Luminae most press releases are dated around January 21st 2015. Maybe they talked about doing something several months ago but there was never any specific detail as far as I can see. Hopefully it will not drastically affect the cruise but please don't try to lay blame on unsuspecting passengers. Again, it sure is easy for them to send our multiple texts, emails and voice mails about the assigned boarding times but their silence is deafening on this topic.

Just did a search - the announcement looks like it was Feb. 2014 and the implementation of the new restaurant was given in March of 2014 for April of 2015. I'd say that people had considerable time between then and now to decide if they wanted to cruise during that time period. Truly I'm very sorry for those that banked on the new restaurant being finished for their cruise, I'm sorry and would also be upset if I were disadvantaged during the construction - but to say people couldn't have know this was a possibility - I just don't see it that way.

Jane you are correct. :)

X added a PDF FAQ to their website in May of 2104 regarding the roll out dates of the suite restaurants on their ships. I have seen the link posted here on the X board many times since then.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Thank you - I found doing a search here on CC a March 19th, 2014 article that clearly states the April 2015 time frame and I recall seeing some threads where people were booking suites excited to be among the 1st in. I'm not trying to be argumentative but to start complaining now - this info has been out there.

Edited by Jane2357

Thank you - I found doing a search here on CC a March 19th, 2014 article that clearly states the April 2015 time frame and I recall seeing some threads where people were booking suites excited to be among the 1st in. I'm not trying to be argumentative but to start complaining now - this info has been out there.

You're welcome. ;)

And I agree with you. This info influenced our choice of May for our next cruise on Summit.

Just did a search - the announcement looks like it was Feb. 2014 and the implementation of the new restaurant was given in March of 2014 for April of 2015. I'd say that people had considerable time between then and now to decide if they wanted to cruise during that time period. Truly I'm very sorry for those that banked on the new restaurant being finished for their cruise, I'm sorry and would also be upset if I were disadvantaged during the construction - but to say people couldn't have know this was a possibility - I just don't see it that way.

So we had to depend on #1 - the website working and #2 - finding it hidden. Looks like it was posted only the suite class page...not on home page so more pax would see it. I would never go to suite FAQ's unless I was booking a suite. Regardless, I don't think it was announced anywhere last year that they would be allowing suite pax to book every night in a specialty restaurant at no cost thus not allowing everyone else to eat there. And still waiting for my communication regarding impact to my cruise.

So we had to depend on #1 - the website working and #2 - finding it hidden. Looks like it was posted only the suite class page...not on home page so more pax would see it. I would never go to suite FAQ's unless I was booking a suite. Regardless, I don't think it was announced anywhere last year that they would be allowing suite pax to book every night in a specialty restaurant at no cost thus not allowing everyone else to eat there. And still waiting for my communication regarding impact to my cruise.

blueboro - No - the information was here on CC and was very visible and talked about. I'm only saying that those now on CC who are complaining, most likely were here on CC back when this all was announced - in Feb. & March of 2014. I really do feel bad for those impacted that had no knowledge - but the regulars here on CC had to have seen the multiple threads on the subject. I liken this to someone booking an inaugural cruise - which will be happening in the future for Celebrity, or booking the cruise before a dry dock or right after a dry dock - sometimes things don't go as planned and I as do others avoid the chance that things may not go as planned. I hope everyone can over look the inconvenience and enjoy their cruise regardless.

I'll be honest...If I see anything pertaining to suite benefits, I don't even pay attention because I never have booked and probably never will book a suite. I guess it's similar to a first- or second-time cruiser following threads about Elite benefits...why would they?

The point is that this is just a bummer for people who are booked on these cruises, and we just want to know what to expect, but to say that people should've known that 3 sailings of cruises, starting in February, would be impacted due to construction because suite passengers would be getting their own dining area in APRIL is a stretch. It doesn't matter now, but I am a little curious as to whether X ever came out and said, "Construction on every dining room in our fleet will be taking place on an ongoing basis for a month or longer beginning in February 2015."

I never book right before or right after a dry dock, and had I known this information about Luminae, I certainly would not have booked this cruise.

Thank you to the Celebrity representative for taking the time to relay information to a tough crowd. Please know you are appreciated! :)

We will have an enjoyable cruise on the Summit March 21st sailing no matter what. We'll just wait and see what happens. At least we know to expect some construction. We would have loved to have been able to rebook our cruise until "after the dust settles" but our work situation only allows us to travel during certain weeks of the year. So we'll make the best of it and look for the positives.

I feel bad for passengers not on Cruise Critic or who don't visit the Celebrity website. They may be surprised upon boarding. Dining is a big aspect of cruising for many. Undoubtedly some people will be disgruntled. I just hope that most can see the glass as half full... At least our cruise hasn't been cancelled! :D

Typical Business Type answer. Didn't you read all the fine print? LOL

'The announcement looks like it was Feb. 2014 and the implementation of the new restaurant was given in March of 2014 for April of 2015.'

How many times are dates giving and moved - many times!

Received the announcement about the 'reintroducing chocolates on your pillow at turndown, which will be rolled out across our fleet during the month of April.'

Just think, that is due to our 'Loyalty and Feedback.'

Maybe that will compensate for the maintenance during our upcoming cruises during Feb - Apr 2015.

How many people posted about this subject and will continue to post about this subject? It sure took a long time and many postings to get to the facts.

Does anyone know what time of day or night these people will be renovating?

While I too would be concerned if I was booked on the 1st cruise after completion - I have to ask why - why would you book the 1st week out when you clearly knew the schedule? Now you find that it won't be completed within the time frame - who is surprised by that? It is called construction people and sometimes, often even, things are not finished on time.

Even IF the new restaurant was completed on time - don't you think there will be kinks to be worked out? New equipment, training staff, etc. I never go to a newly opened restaurant - people who do almost never have rave reviews. I go a month later when the problems have been fixed. Same here. I say enjoy your cruise with the bumps along the way - and with construction and new restaurant there WILL be some. Bump and roll people.

I don't know, if a well done restaurant opens, it will do a soft opening before the grand official opening. Sure, there will still be kinks at real opening, but most should be worked out.

It looks like there are three ships which could be ready a bit earlier than the others, hopefully they use these as test ships. We'll see.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Well said real deal, we booked this cruise and now Im just finding out about this construction. Our travel agent suggested going select which we did. Went out and bought all new suits for me and the boys for formal night. Hopefully it wont be to much of a pain to eat in mdr or else we will end up eating at buffet. Dont know why I would go back one or two years on CC to find out about construction. Oh well I will go into this cruise with my glass half full

Well said real deal, we booked this cruise and now Im just finding out about this construction. Our travel agent suggested going select which we did. Went out and bought all new suits for me and the boys for formal night. Hopefully it wont be to much of a pain to eat in mdr or else we will end up eating at buffet. Dont know why I would go back one or two years on CC to find out about construction. Oh well I will go into this cruise with my glass half full

I doubt you will have any problem at all as construction shouldn't impact the select portion of the dining room at all. The suite dinning room was discussed almost weekly, with questions, curiosity and conjecture since it was announced in early 2014.

As a general note, the MDR is only open for breakfast, lunch on sea days and dinner. This leaves MANY hours overnight and on port days when construction can take place. Once the wall is up, separating it from the rest of the main dining room, you won't know what is going on anyway, any more than you would know what is going on in Blu, when you're in Tuscan Grill (S-Class). The only impact will be how Celebrity manages the shortage of tables for the main and late seatings. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but there is no indication it will be a disaster either.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I doubt you will have any problem at all as construction shouldn't impact the select portion of the dining room at all. The suite dinning room was discussed almost weekly, with questions, curiosity and conjecture since it was announced in early 2014.

As a general note, the MDR is only open for breakfast, lunch on sea days and dinner. This leaves MANY hours overnight and on port days when construction can take place. Once the wall is up, separating it from the rest of the main dining room, you won't know what is going on anyway, any more than you would know what is going on in Blu, when you're in Tuscan Grill (S-Class). The only impact will be how Celebrity manages the shortage of tables for the main and late seatings. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but there is no indication it will be a disaster either.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I thought it was only affecting select dining