Sights to see near FCO

freddiebud

I am doing a precruise in Rome (and have been there before). Post cruise, I am going to Florence. I plan on coming back to Rome the night before my flight. The latest flight I can take leaves at noon, so I was thinking of spending the night near the airport.

1) What do you think of that idea?

2) Anything to see around there?

Thanks for your help!

I am doing a precruise in Rome (and have been there before). Post cruise, I am going to Florence. I plan on coming back to Rome the night before my flight. The latest flight I can take leaves at noon, so I was thinking of spending the night near the airport.

1) What do you think of that idea?

2) Anything to see around there?

Thanks for your help!

1) I myself would spend the night in Rome as i can never get tired of it. And my last two flights have left at 615am and i still stay there.

2) the ruins of Ostia Antica are very close and easily accessible from Fiumicino.

DW and I are big fans of Ostia Antica and have visited those ruins, twice, when we spent the evening at the FCO Hilton prior to a morning flight. We respectfully disagree with the idea of staying in Rome with a morning flight, but perhaps that is because we have long grown weary of Rome (but love Italy). What we have done with Ostia Antica is that we had a rental car that we were dropping at FCO. Rather then drop the car in the afternoon before our night at the FCO Hilton, we simply kept the car until either late at night or dropped it at the airport the morning of our flight. We used the car to get to Ostia (there is ample parking) and then later used the car to drive into Fiumcino for dinner (the restaurant at the Hilton is overpriced and does little to attract our business). Fiumcino actually has a tourist area opposite their sea wall/boardwalk with some decent Italian/Seafood restaurants ( we like a place called Amelindo).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

1) I myself would spend the night in Rome as i can never get tired of it. And my last two flights have left at 615am and i still stay there.

2) the ruins of Ostia Antica are very close and easily accessible from Fiumicino.

^^^

What they said. :D

thanks for the suggestions. i am not planning on getting back to rome until very late (like maybe 10 or 11) which is why i was thinking of just going towards the airport. Ostia Antica sounds like a nice idea for the morning before we leave. altho now my traveling partner is suggesting leaving bright and early!!

thanks for the suggestions. i am not planning on getting back to rome until very late (like maybe 10 or 11) which is why i was thinking of just going towards the airport. Ostia Antica sounds like a nice idea for the morning before we leave. altho now my traveling partner is suggesting leaving bright and early!!

Do you mean trying to go there the day of your flight? For most destinations, you need to arrive at the airport about three hours beforehand, so if the latest flight is at noon, I wouldn't be planning on doing anything that morning.

I just got a chance to do a trip over to Rome the end of April, thanks to my employer having some excellent rates at one of our hotels AND Delta coming through with low level award tickets!!!! Now the only issue is that I have it broken up into 3 pieces: 3 nights in Rome, 3 nights somewhere, 4 nights back in Rome. I want to do something different for those 3 nights. I'd really love to find some little village that has a cute little place for me to just kick back and relax. Does anyone have something out of the ordinary? None of the tourist track places in Umbria or Tuscany, no Florence/Pisa… And, most definitely someplace no more than $150/night for 1 person…

I'm wracking my brain over this.

I've got a chance to see some of those places that cruisemom42 has written about, but I never got to see.

Getting the dinner plans together again!!! Armando, Pizzarium, Roscioli, and more to come!!! Bring it on everyone with the recommendations.

Does anyone have something out of the ordinary? None of the tourist track places in Umbria or Tuscany, no Florence/Pisa… And, most definitely someplace no more than $150/night for 1 person…

Check the area of the Castelli Romani just Southeast of Rome. Some of the towns are Castel Gandolfo, Frascati, Albano Laziale, Grottaferrata and Ariccia. There is beautiful scenery in the hills around Lake Albano and Lake Nemi, not many tourists and real Italian life. Driving around them is easy and you do not have to drive through Rome to get to the airport.

Another possibility is Salerno. You can get there by train. It is at the base of the Amalfi Coast and you can use the inexpensive ferries to go from one town to another and to Capri. It will not be crowded at the end of April. Hotel prices in Salerno are much lower than on the Amalfi coast or in Sorrento.

I just got a chance to do a trip over to Rome the end of April, thanks to my employer having some excellent rates at one of our hotels AND Delta coming through with low level award tickets!!!! Now the only issue is that I have it broken up into 3 pieces: 3 nights in Rome, 3 nights somewhere, 4 nights back in Rome. I want to do something different for those 3 nights. I'd really love to find some little village that has a cute little place for me to just kick back and relax. Does anyone have something out of the ordinary? None of the tourist track places in Umbria or Tuscany, no Florence/Pisa… And, most definitely someplace no more than $150/night for 1 person…

I'm wracking my brain over this.

I've got a chance to see some of those places that cruisemom42 has written about, but I never got to see.

Getting the dinner plans together again!!! Armando, Pizzarium, Roscioli, and more to come!!! Bring it on everyone with the recommendations.

Slidergirl, when we went to Tuscany last summer, we stayed at a lovely cottage on a farm just outside Panzano: Agriturismo Felciano. They produce their own wine and olive oil, and you get a bottle of each for free when you arrive. You don't have to have a car as there is a bus from Florence, but it does make things easier. Absolutely stunning views from the property, the best we saw in Tuscany, and only 70 euros/night for 1/2 people. Walking distance to the village, which is really cute. If you want somewhere to just totally relax, this is an excellent spot.