Best Red Wine w/i Premium Beverage Package

soxfan2013

What are the best red wines currently being offered by the glass on Reflection within the Premium Beverage Package?

Otherwise, above $13/glass, what are the better red wines available by the glass overall and what are those prices by the glass?

What are the best red wines currently being offered by the glass on Reflection within the Premium Beverage Package?

Otherwise, above $13/glass, what are the better red wines available by the glass overall and what are those prices by the glass?

I think it varies from cruise ship to cruise ship. I remember when I had the premium package on Summit, they had some different selections each evening. With the premium package, let's say the limit is $13 wines. If you want one that is $15, you just pay the $2 difference. Sometimes the Sommelier won't bother charging you the extra $2.

With the Classic Package, that's not the case. You have to stay within the limits or else you have to pay the entire price if you go above it, not the difference, i.e. if the limit is $10 and you want a $14 glass of wine, you have to pay the $14.

That's why I think we need someone on board currently or who was recently and recalls some of the wines and glass prices. I think I saw a Cakebread for about $20/glass referenced somewhere, but anyone on board currently would be able to answer.

None. :eek:

Sorry, just my opinion. :p

Celebrity's wine-by-the-glass list is pretty awful (at least for reds). I struggled every night. I paid extra when I could, but generally found only the specialties had any worth paying extra for. They were generally in the $18-21 range.

Good luck, hope you enjoy them more than I did. Everyone has different likes.

Does the premium package still give you 20% discount on bottles of wine?

Yes, which is one of the reasons we like the premium package. We prefer to order a bottle of wine with dinner, especially in the specialty restaurants. By the glass is fine for lunch or just because. :D

Mary Lou

My go to red is the Ponzi Pinot Noir at $18/glass ($6 upcharge if on the premium package) or about $50/bottle. About 2 times retail but a good wine. I suggest you buy the bottles for the better deal if you find a red you like.

The "best" red wine I've seen by the glass on a Celebrity ship is a Cayamous Select 1999 I think (year may be off). Price was in the wine machines in Cellar masters and those machine measure pours. I think on the high end, a glass was $50.

Each restaurant has a different wine list and availability by the bottle and glass. They will very, very often have wines available by the glass not on any list, which in my book is great. If you know what you want and know it is onboard, they will fetch you a wine from somewhere else.

Finding out what is being served now, maybe be pointless, it could easily run out, and not be restocked as they chose a replacement.

They have an excellent wine list of cabs including wines like Cayamus, Nickel and Nickel, La Sirena, Screaming Eagle and many more in even higher price ranges. The above wines range from roughly $120-$180 onboard which of course is more than retail, and less than a restaurant I was recently at. My guess is you'd be happier just ordering a bottle of whatever you'd like, drink what you want, and finish it off at lunch or dinner the following night. They'll keep it for you and have it available.

I understand you haven't sailed Celebrity in a while, and are looking for the best value you can get out of your suite, MC experience and beverage package. However, I would just recommend you go in with less expectations, let the sommeliers know your preferences and make suggestions regarding what is onboard. If it costs a few more $$, so be it.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It all depends what good wine is to you, a bottle of two buck chuck might be the best wine you ever had and you might not like the tasting notes of a $4500 bottle of scream eagle. Either way take the time to tell your sommelier what you enjoy and your price point and they will help you find a glass you will enjoy.

Celebrity cruises has once again been recognized by Wine Spectator as having the best wine selection at sea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The "best" red wine I've seen by the glass on a Celebrity ship is a Cayamous Select 1999 I think (year may be off). Price was in the wine machines in Cellar masters and those machine measure pours. I think on the high end, a glass was $50.

Each restaurant has a different wine list and availability by the bottle and glass. They will very, very often have wines available by the glass not on any list, which in my book is great. If you know what you want and know it is onboard, they will fetch you a wine from somewhere else.

Finding out what is being served now, maybe be pointless, it could easily run out, and not be restocked as they chose a replacement.

They have an excellent wine list of cabs including wines like Cayamus, Nickel and Nickel, La Sirena, Screaming Eagle and many more in even higher price ranges. The above wines range from roughly $120-$180 onboard which of course is more than retail, and less than a restaurant I was recently at. My guess is you'd be happier just ordering a bottle of whatever you'd like, drink what you want, and finish it off at lunch or dinner the following night. They'll keep it for you and have it available.

I understand you haven't sailed Celebrity in a while, and are looking for the best value you can get out of your suite, MC experience and beverage package. However, I would just recommend you go in with less expectations, let the sommeliers know your preferences and make suggestions regarding what is onboard. If it costs a few more $$, so be it.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Um if you paid $180/bottle for Screaming Eagle then congrats as you consumed a fraudulent bottle no matter if at Sea or Land you will never find Screaming Eagle for such a low price. Must bottles start at $1500/$2000.

If you can find Screaming Eagle cab for $120-$180 on board a Celebrity ship, or anywhere for that matter, buy every bottle you can put your hands on and toast your good luck!!!

This is true, Screaming Eagle was more, I edited my post and added it as an example after I put the price ranges in.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Um if you paid $180/bottle for Screaming Eagle then congrats as you consumed a fraudulent bottle no matter if at Sea or Land you will never find Screaming Eagle for such a low price. Must bottles start at $1500/$2000.

Seeing that Celebrity prides itself for both its on board wine collection and its sommelier's, it's hard to imagine that bottle being either so significantly mispriced or fraudulent. You sure it wasn't a distant cousin of Screaming Eagle?

Indeed! Here is a related story:

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2014/11/bamboozled_what_happens_when_a_3750_bottle_of_wine_really_costs_3750.html

Now this is the kind of thread I can get behind.

I am a wine "enthusiast," but I find it hard to believe that there is not a decent red by the glass for $13. Surely most of us who enjoy fine wine also enjoy less expensive wines for "every day," and recalling some of the menus that others have posted, the S-class ships have some promising by-the-glass options. I don't recall specifics, but I'm interested to hear recent reports since I will be on Reflection in April with a premium package.

Now this is the kind of thread I can get behind.

I am a wine "enthusiast," but I find it hard to believe that there is not a decent red by the glass for $13. Surely most of us who enjoy fine wine also enjoy less expensive wines for "every day," and recalling some of the menus that others have posted, the S-class ships have some promising by-the-glass options. I don't recall specifics, but I'm interested to hear recent reports since I will be on Reflection in April with a premium package.

Here is a post from LSimon to another similar thread about wine on the Silhouette:

Here is a link to a post from last spring. Selections might have changed but this should be representative of what you'll find. Note this is a sailing from the UK and prices, and package limits, were adjusted to reflect the gratuity being included in the menu price:

This is true, Screaming Eagle was more, I edited my post and added it as an example after I put the price ranges in.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Don't you hate when that happens? Our goal on a cruise is to try a bottle of Screaming Eagle. Might never happen but we can dream. With the increase in gratuity to 18% it almost negates our 20% discount. Also, we saw the price jump on our last cruise to about $4500.

Mary Lou

Don't you hate when that happens? Our goal on a cruise is to try a bottle of Screaming Eagle. Might never happen but we can dream. With the increase in gratuity to 18% it almost negates our 20% discount. Also, we saw the price jump on our last cruise to about $4500.

Mary Lou

Others have said you can negotiate with the Sommes ...if so, this is probably one of those bottles where there may be some flexibility. ;)