No Complimentary Treats at Explorations Cafe

ithaca gal

I disagree. The Exploration Cafe baked goods are a service to compliment the purchase of the premium beverages. It is a quiet area to drink coffee and read a magazine, and they simply do not have the manpower to make the Exploration Cafe a general source of snacks for all passengers.

igraf

....And it's a silly notion that I can't get a cookie from the Explorations Cafe without a purchase. So I'm sitting in the Crow's Nest reading or watching the scenery. I feel like a cookie--and BTW, I don't drink coffee. So I'm to walk to the Lido? And I'm a walker--it's not the exercise, it's the principle of the thing.

What's so crazy about thinking that the ship's staff should ensure the snacks are replenished throughout the day?

Edited by igraf

I disagree. The Exploration Cafe baked goods are a service to compliment the purchase of the premium beverages. It is a quiet area to drink coffee and read a magazine, and they simply do not have the manpower to make the Exploration Cafe a general source of snacks for all passengers.

igraf

totally agree.

If it was casual, that is totally different. The one meeting I noticed this on there was only one way to get it, right past the sign. It was in a corner and there was no other way to get in. Impossible to miss the sign.

agree - same thing at my last few meet and greets.

I love the IC on Princess... I guess my diet will be intact on HAL>..:D

This reminds me of the difference between going to my German grand mom,food on schedule and small amounts, and my Jewish Grand mom, food all the time in large amounts....LOL.. This is the German cruise !!!

CC

Yep, it will be awful. Better stop at Krispy Kreme before boarding.

But who wants to go to the "lido" which I assume is the buffet... every major CL has a coffee/pastry shop... the only charges are for coffee/ specialty tea etc.

Paying extra for food because someone didn't get their crumpet...

CC

Not unusual to have policies and charges based upon location. For example on several cruise lines you get orange juice free in the buffet or dining room, but if you ask for it at a bar or coffee shop it costs.

If it was casual, that is totally different. The one meeting I noticed this on there was only one way to get it, right past the sign. It was in a corner and there was no other way to get in. Impossible to miss the sign.

on our recent Noordam cruise, there was NO PLACE in Explorations to sit down after getting coffee (and a pastry). . every single seat was taken with folks dozing, or reading.

so we went into one of the rooms where people were sitting playing cards, not realizing it was a group event (even tho they were only using 3 of the 6 tables).

We realized it was a Bridge group after we had already sat down (and we got a stinkface from a couple of folks).

Like I said there was no where to sit and we had cups of hot coffee, so we stayed there and they actually warmed up to us once I asked a few questions as to how the game is played (and, I'm sure, once they realized we had no interest in their snack table that was off to the side with cookies/sweets -- and we hadn't seen from outside, I'm sure "hidden" from view on purpose).

we finished our coffee and pasty, and after 5-10 minutes headed back out into the Explorations cafe.

not sure why the doors were open, if they didn't want folks to come in, but again, once they realized we didn't want their treats? it all SEEMED to be ok.

You should see what happens when they're showing a movie on the ship. The guy comes in with a plate of popcorn bags, and people lose their minds. They're falling over each other to get a bag of popcorn .

I was shocked as hell when I witnessed this.

and THEN half the folks get up and walk out.

they came only for the popcorn.

What a strange thread....

What really puzzles me is if the treats are so popular why not put more out.

I have never been on a cruise when I've seen people hoarding food. What's the point it is available pretty much around the clock in one way shape or form.:D

I don't drink Coffee so you won't catch me buying it but you mean to say that some here think that if I'm in the library where some of these coffee stands seem to be I can't/shouldn't grab a snack.:eek:

I was shocked as hell when I witnessed this.

and THEN half the folks get up and walk out.

they came only for the popcorn.

You saw this too? I feel better since I was challenged by the self appointed know it all

on here. Next time I'll take video.

Edited by Wakepatrol

agree - same thing at my last few meet and greets.

You should have seen the numerous people trying to crash our vow renewal in the crow's nest.:eek: the chance of free champaign and wedding cake was just too much even with the curtains drawn. The captain had to ask for 2 staff to stand guard. So we sent the cake to the staff dining room instead of sharing with people in the crow's nest after we had a piece.

I can be nasty like that.

During the baking demo the baker told us he made 24 cinnamon rolls each day and they went to the Explorations cafe. I never did see them in the lido that cruise.

I know! I'm a cinnamon roll fanatic and didn't even know they existed. They were always gone by the time I rolled out of bed and went down. Next cruise my roomie is going to get me one.

I know! I'm a cinnamon roll fanatic and didn't even know they existed. They were always gone by the time I rolled out of bed and went down. Next cruise my roomie is going to get me one.

f they're so popular why only make 24??:confused: I'd think HAL would rather have PAX filling op on rolls than Lobster.

I totally agree. Just because it's there and complimentary, it doesn't mean you have to clean the place out. It's like dealing with children - only take what YOU can comfortably ingest. You see the same at the Chocolate Buffet - it gets cleared out by the first people in line, and then you see their partially eaten food dumped all over the place in the public areas. Some people just can't control their selfishness and greedy ways.

Edited by galensgrl

I totally agree. Just because it's there and complimentary, it doesn't mean you have to clean the place out. It's like dealing with children - only take what YOU can comfortably ingest. You see the same at the Chocolate Buffet - it gets cleared out by the first people in line, and then you see their partially eaten food dumped all over the place in the public areas. Some people just can't control their selfish greed.

I've never seen that, not doubting it happens just never seen it, I have at times left food, when I've taken the opportunity to try something new and not liked it, or taken something that had been done in way that left me not liking it generally take less than I think I want knowing I can go back for more f I so choose.

If you're sailing on the NA, you might look into going to Tamarind for lunch. They have sort of a dim sum tasting menu. I'm not sure of the current cost, but it was free 2 years ago. We went on the day the ship called at Grand Cayman. It's a lovely relaxing time.

If you're sailing on the NA, you might look into going to Tamarind for lunch. They have sort of a dim sum tasting menu. I'm not sure of the current cost, but it was free 2 years ago. We went on the day the ship called at Grand Cayman. It's a lovely relaxing time.

It is still free. Then again some folks might question why they have to walk all the way to the tamarind to get it :D;).

Uh no! On the Breeze, we had to purchase the treats. I don't remember any free treats on Princess aside from what was available at the Lido.

WHAT is HAL in the dark ages? I can't get a cookie or treat if I wish one without buying a drink? REALLY? It is a gathering place. Purchase the drink, or NOT, but food - treats and all should be FREE. Take a Princess cruise and learn the difference of service at their International Cafes. Great food, great service, all fresh and appealing for all to enjoy, whether or not you purchase anything or not...the purchase of a drink is not expected....and the food includes appealing interesting salads, little sandwiches as well as the sweets that change daily. Princess is doing something very right. Actually it is the best place on a Princess ship to spend the later part of the afternoon. AND the food at their cafes is not repeated or available anywhere else on the boat....certainly not at the buffet troughs.

I'm about to take my 1st HAL cruise and I'm already not liking what it appears that HAL is dishing out to its paying customers :( !!!

I totally agree. Just because it's there and complimentary, it doesn't mean you have to clean the place out. It's like dealing with children - only take what YOU can comfortably ingest. You see the same at the Chocolate Buffet - it gets cleared out by the first people in line, and then you see their partially eaten food dumped all over the place in the public areas. Some people just can't control their selfishness and greedy ways.

I have seen the cinnamon buns many times in the Explorations Cafe so I don't think the place is "cleaned out" by a few people. I don't drink coffee so I just glance at the offerings on my way to the library. I have never seen anyone hoarding them as seem to suggest and they still have to be requested, they are not help yourself on the R and S class ships anyway.

I have never gone to the chocolate buffet as I don't eat after dinner but I am an early riser so I guess in this case the early birds do get the buns! :)

I'm about to take my 1st HAL cruise and I'm already not liking what it appears that HAL is dishing out to its paying customers :( !!!

I'd suggest just relax and enjoy. My family and I cruised HAL just for the second time last December and we liked it more.

WHAT is HAL in the dark ages? I can't get a cookie or treat if I wish one without buying a drink? REALLY?

Not really. What people are discussing here is one little place that makes speciality coffee and happens to have a few treats. They are free unless, as the OP stated, somebody complains, or abuses. It is meant to have nibbles available with your hot drink as a service, not a main eating venue. On the smaller ships this area is in the library so not really a gathering place to sit and talk with others.

Enjoy your cruise. Enjoy your FREE hard ice cream, the Dive In, and many other food treats that await. :)

Not really. What people are discussing here is one little place that makes speciality coffee and happens to have a few treats. They are free unless, as the OP stated, somebody complains, or abuses. It is meant to have nibbles available with your hot drink as a service, not a main eating venue. On the smaller ships this area is in the library so not really a gathering place to sit and talk with others.

Enjoy your cruise. Enjoy your FREE hard ice cream, the Dive In, and many other food treats that await. :)

Where is that LIKE button:D

I also read on here (once) that somebody cleaned out most of the snacks in the Neptune because they were having a party.

Whenever I'm on a cruise. I'll see a coke can or empty glass on the elevator floor. Yup it was too heavy to make it to a trash can. I saw a half eaten hamburger on greasy wax paper outside of someone's cabin door once.

Who are these people? Who raised them?

I've read that, too. I've seen it, as well. :eek: