Anxious Cruiser! Questions about Muster Drill.

Cruiseme0613

Hello,

I am new to Cruise Critic. I've read many of the forums over the years, but I finally registered so I could be involved! I've been on 10 cruises, and I'm working towards Platinum on Carnival. Recently, within the past two years or so, I've developed severe anxiety over the muster drills. I grew up going to them, and have never ever had an issue. Suddenly the thought of being packed on the deck in the heat like a bunch of sardines has me terrified! Thankfully, I booked the Dream for our honeymoon in 2013. As I read some forums, I was so relieved to find out the drill would be held indoors! It was such a great experience. However, from what I've read, the only two Carnival ships that don't require the muster drill outside are the Breeze and the Dream. Is this correct?! I hate that I am avoiding so many other great cruises and destinations, and I also hate that my husband isn't getting to enjoy them either! We are looking to book our next cruise within the next month or so, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! I want to have as smooth of an experience as possible (for me and DH)! Any advice?

Thanks for the suggestion! I was wondering about other cruise lines. :)

Talk with Special Needs dept of cruise line, explaining claustrophobia in muster drill crowd. Some cruise lines have special drills for various handicaps.

Hello,

I am new to Cruise Critic. I've read many of the forums over the years, but I finally registered so I could be involved! I've been on 10 cruises, and I'm working towards Platinum on Carnival. Recently, within the past two years or so, I've developed severe anxiety over the muster drills. I grew up going to them, and have never ever had an issue. Suddenly the thought of being packed on the deck in the heat like a bunch of sardines has me terrified! Thankfully, I booked the Dream for our honeymoon in 2013. As I read some forums, I was so relieved to find out the drill would be held indoors! It was such a great experience. However, from what I've read, the only two Carnival ships that don't require the muster drill outside are the Breeze and the Dream. Is this correct?! I hate that I am avoiding so many other great cruises and destinations, and I also hate that my husband isn't getting to enjoy them either! We are looking to book our next cruise within the next month or so, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! I want to have as smooth of an experience as possible (for me and DH)! Any advice?

Fearing doing it and fear while doing it are vastly different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Talk with Special Needs dept of cruise line, explaining claustrophobia in muster drill crowd. Some cruise lines have special drills for various handicaps.

That's a good idea, I will have to consider that if we book a cruise that holds outside drills!

Fearing doing it and fear while doing it are vastly different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know myself well enough to that fear of doing will translate into fear while doing it. While some may say its pessimistic to think that way, I am just trying to prepare adequately.

On Carnival, when the muster drill starts just ask one of the crew where the special needs meeting area is. It will be inside and won't be crowded. You will not be asked why you are there, nor will you be challenged when you enter the room.

You will be asked if you need assistance during an emergency, just say no.

It's as easy as that, no need to explain anything to anyone.

On Carnival, when the muster drill starts just ask one of the crew where the special needs meeting area is. It will be inside and won't be crowded. You will not be asked why you are there, nor will you be challenged when you enter the room.

You will be asked if you need assistance during an emergency, just say no.

It's as easy as that, no need to explain anything to anyone.

Thanks for letting me know! That was kind of my concern. I don't have any visible disabilities, so I didn't want to cause a problem by going to that area.

...Suddenly the thought of being packed on the deck in the heat like a bunch of sardines has me terrified!...

Your phobia is a common one and I share it. Having said that, I, personally, wouldn't choose a cruise based on where a muster drill is held. I would never give the phobia that much power over me. My advice is simple: whatever happens will be fleeting and temporary; move to the front of the line on the outside, and that should help. If necessary, explain your situation simply and calmly to the crew member(s) and you will be accommodated.

Have fun on your cruise. :)

Your phobia is a common one and I share it. Having said that, I, personally, wouldn't choose a cruise based on where a muster drill is held. I would never give the phobia that much power over me. My advice is simple: whatever happens will be fleeting and temporary; move to the front of the line on the outside, and that should help. If necessary, explain your situation simply and calmly to the crew member(s) and you will be accommodated.

Have fun on your cruise. :)

Agreed. Sounds like you may need some professional help and/or medication if your fear is so great that you can not take certain vacations due to it.

Good luck

We are Diamonds on Carnival so have been to many musters. We try to be the very last people to get to our muster station. We hold back, may talk to the Carnival muster person by the elevators but don't go outside until we are the last people to get there. We start inside so we wait until last person leaves the lounge and follow them out.

There is a waiting area for handicapped people which is inside. Once while we were standing outside it we were asked if we wanted t join them so we did. Maybe you could also join them. Tell them about your fears and ask if you can join them. I'd guess you'll be able to.

All ships are required to have muster drills, all passengers required to go, room stewards check to make sure ALL cabins are empty and put a red thing in the door lock after checking each cabin.

I have heard of passengers being put off a ship if they didn't go!

Edited by Bonnie J.

First I want to say I totally understand how you feel. I have sever anxiety of crowded spaces to the point where even the though of doing something like going to Walmart on the weekends terrifies me let alone the muster drill in such small spaces.

There were great tips here about talking to special needs and/or the one running the muster station about being on the end or in a special area. Those can fully work.

My next question is do you have or thought about trying for an anxiety "anchor" or grounding techniques? They can be a lot of different things to different people. My son (who is so bad off he goes to a special H.S. because of it) uses specific songs. I have to let him have access to his music at all times. I use objects, generally small plush objects. Basically you won't find me (a 34 yr old mom of 2 boys..) without a teddy bear of some sort near at hand! I have also trained myself to use my DH and family as anchors. I am the shortest now, so if I create a barrier around me with them I tend to be able to get calmer.

Since it seems like that muster drills are your only real issue, daily meds don't sound right from the information you have given. If you have a good relationship with your doctor though bring it up with them. Most won't have an issue providing one or two pills for an acute attack if you feel you need it.

Thanks for all the great advice! I think the phobia stems from remembering the days we used to bring the life jackets on the deck. The last one I vividly remember from about 10 years ago, I was on the second to last row. We must have had a fellow cruiser that didn't show up to the drill bc it took forever! It was so hot and stressful. People were getting angry, and we were all so uncomfortable in our life jackets. It's wonderful that they don't require the life jackets now, but I think I'm just worried about getting stuck near the back row. But I'm ready to venture out and not let my fears prevent an awesome cruise! I'll definitely have to try some of the things yall have suggested! Thanks again :D

• 2 weeks later...
All ships are required to have muster drills, all passengers required to go, room stewards check to make sure ALL cabins are empty and put a red thing in the door lock after checking each cabin.

I have heard of passengers being put off a ship if they didn't go!

It is definitely NOT true that all passengers are required to go to muster drill. Last March, I was on the Breakaway, which is usually listed as round-trip out of New York City. However, it can also be sailed as round-trip out of Port Canaveral. During the cruise, I met some people who had boarded in Port Canaveral, and I asked them if they had to go to muster drill. They said no. They said they were told to watch a movie about it in their cabins. No one checked to see if they had seen the movie. They were on their honor to see it.

And they obviously were not put off the ship if they didn't see the movie! The ship's officers couldn't have cared less if they saw the movie or not, or else they would have been required to meet in a lounge and watch the movie under the supervision of an officer or some other employee.

It is definitely NOT true that all passengers are required to go to muster drill. Last March, I was on the Breakaway, which is usually listed as round-trip out of New York City. However, it can also be sailed as round-trip out of Port Canaveral. During the cruise, I met some people who had boarded in Port Canaveral, and I asked them if they had to go to muster drill. They said no. They said they were told to watch a movie about it in their cabins. No one checked to see if they had seen the movie. They were on their honor to see it.

And they obviously were not put off the ship if they didn't see the movie! The ship's officers couldn't have cared less if they saw the movie or not, or else they would have been required to meet in a lounge and watch the movie under the supervision of an officer or some other employee.

That is extremely unusual and very lax of the ship's captain not to require late boarders to attend.

When we were on a b2b NCL cruise we did not have to attend the muster drill when sailing from Miami but that was because we'd attended the muster drill out of Copenhagen.

Edited by NMLady

Based on my knowledge of NCL's operations and policies, I would have to say that this case is an anomaly, though certainly not excusable.

I see that the PC round trip is no longer offered, and I think this is because the demand was low and also because CBP handles disembarkation screening differently when there are two cruises onboard at one time, requiring more time.

It may have been that so few embarked at PC that a separate muster was not done, but this is an oversight. SOLAS allows the use of videos to show lifejacket donning and general safety procedures, and as long as these are on the TV continuously, as they are with NCL, that is fine. However, every passenger must be part of a muster drill before sailing. This is a SOLAS violation, and could have resulted in the USCG registering this as a port state deficiency, and these deficiencies are cumulative and can trigger extra port state control inspections (the dreaded USCG drill). This is also, but far less importantly, a violation of CLIA's passenger drill guidelines.

We were the Sunshine last January. The 1st day we were in Nassau. We were supposed to leave at4:30 but I saw a small bus arrive with 50 passengers who had not been able to make the ship the previous day for some reason. Carnival flew them to Nassau. So, they did not have a muster as that is done the day you board.