Deployment Schedule 2016-2017. Let the guessing begin

Cruzin-K

Melbourne Ports has bookings for Ovation for 13 Dec, 18 Dec 2016 and 11 Jan 2017........there is also a booking in Adelaide ports for Voyager on 12 Dec 2016, could that be Ovation, does it take a day to cruise Adelaide/Melbourne?

Chez

There is a day at sea between Adelaide and Melbourne as it is more than 500 nautical miles, which is roughly 28 to 30 hours steaming time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by geoff2802

There is a day at sea between Adelaide and Melbourne as it is more than 500 nautical miles, which would is roughly 28 to 30 hours steaming time.

Mmmm......interesting to see what these itineraries will be like.

Me thinks they are going to be put together where Ovation can fit and what is available, most cruisers will be jumping on for the ship experience and not care where they go, like me:) Although it will come down to price and timing for us....won't be giving Royal my $$$ for inflated prices for a cruise to nowhere!

Chez

Mmmm......interesting to see what these itineraries will be like.

Me thinks they are going to be put together where Ovation can fit and what is available, most cruisers will be jumping on for the ship experience and not care where they go, like me:) Although it will come down to price and timing for us....won't be giving Royal my $$$ for inflated prices for a cruise to nowhere!

Chez

Flashy new ship, short season... Prices will be pretty extreme I'm afraid. Ports will be predominantly capital cities for the reason you have highlighted (size).

Renaming of existing fake bookings and new port bookings in the name of Ovation should start turning up over the next couple of weeks.

I find it ridiculous when a 'customer' accuses a company that has been in their business for years (and has been very profitable at it) of 'not knowing how to price their sailings'.

From your signature, I can see you are in the Pinnacle Club, but that doesn't give you access to their board room or any other area of the company that would be involved in determining 'what they need to be able to make a profit (or the kind of profit they want) from sailing a ship from the West Coast.

Interesting article on USA Today-

http://experience.usatoday.com/cruise/story/best-of-cruising/2015/04/20/these-people-have-spent-over-1000-days-at-sea/25874147/

If you believe there is better infrastructure in Ensenada, you might want to visit Ensenada and really take a tour around. Folks embarking there are processed in San Diego and then bussed to Ensenada for further processing before boarding.

The reason Legend is doing this, is because it made the Panama Canal trip just before it's westbound Pacific, making it the closest foreign port to it's last US port of call (note that the reason Legend can make the FLL to SD trip, is because it visits Cartagena - a distant foreign port).

If using this port as the North America entry, it would not only have to be the debarkation port for the eastbound Pacific, it would also have to be the embarkation port for the coastal to Seattle, not San Diego or L.A., as Victoria is not a distant foreign port, so just visiting isn't sufficient to satisfy the PVSA (and then do it again when she travels back across the Pacific).

Excellent explanation - thank you. How about this thought: EOS embark in San Diego or LA day 1, then hit Ensenada on day 2, then head up the coast to Seattle without Victoria. Does this work?? :confused:

I still feel there is nothing wrong with any of us mentioning "Jones" when we really mean PVSA.

As I mentioned, it's a nit/nitpicking/hair-splitting, but I am not making a statement of opinion (though I do understand what people are referring to), I am making a statement of fact: the Jones Act and PVSA are different statutes applying to different areas of coastwise shipping (the "Jones Act" is not a different name for the PVSA, it is a different statute that doesn't apply to passengers).

Referring to the PVSA as the "Jones Act" is definitely incorrect.

So as long as we know what we are referring....

But does everyone really know to what "we are referring". Someone who might not know better will think that the two are the same, or have now clue that another exists.

Sort of like talking about what someone might do on a cruise on Oasis of the Seas, but refer everyone to information about the Regal Princess. Certainly many here would correct that error.

For anyone that might read these boards and wish to do research on the statutes, I choose to provide as accurate information as I possibly can (and will acknowledge when I make an incorrect statement).

Excellent explanation - thank you. How about this thought: EOS embark in San Diego or LA day 1, then hit Ensenada on day 2, then head up the coast to Seattle without Victoria. Does this work?? :confused:

No.

Effectively, the PVSA disallows cruise lines from transferring passengers between two U.S. ports (not getting into the one cruise ship and smaller ships that can or the various exceptions which really don't apply on the west coast). So getting on in L.A. and off in Seattle isn't allowed. A passenger can get on in Ensenada and off in Seattle, or on in L.A. and off in Victoria or Vancouver, but not on in L.A. and off in Seattle (Note: Explorer as is cannot get to the primary dock in Vancouver because she cannot clear the Lions Gate bridge, not sure if she can be modified to clear it, though).

Same about Hawaii: cannot get on in Honolulu and off in Seattle.

It does allow passengers to get on and off in the same port provided they visited a foreign port. So they can get on and off in Seattle, so long as they stop in Victoria. Or they can get on in L.A., visit Hawaii, and return to L.A. as long as they visit a non-US port (e.g. Ensenada).

One other note, it is not the passenger that would be in violation, it is the cruise line. But the cruise line will not knowingly allow a passenger to take an itinerary that would put them in violation (as has been mentioned). So a ship being repositioned to Alaska lawfully traveling from HI to Vancouver, and then start a new trip that lawfully goes from Vancouver to Seward, will not allow a passenger doing a B2B to get on in Honolulu and off in Seward as that would be in violation (though they could get off in Vancouver and take a different ship to Seward or do a B2B that returns to Vancouver).

No.

Effectively, the PVSA disallows cruise lines from transferring passengers between two U.S. ports (not getting into the one cruise ship and smaller ships that can or the various exceptions which really don't apply on the west coast). So getting on in L.A. and off in Seattle isn't allowed. A passenger can get on in Ensenada and off in Seattle, or on in L.A. and off in Victoria or Vancouver, but not on in L.A. and off in Seattle (Note: Explorer as is cannot get to the primary dock in Vancouver because she cannot clear the Lions Gate bridge, not sure if she can be modified to clear it, though).

Same about Hawaii: cannot get on in Honolulu and off in Seattle.

It does allow passengers to get on and off in the same port provided they visited a foreign port. So they can get on and off in Seattle, so long as they stop in Victoria. Or they can get on in L.A., visit Hawaii, and return to L.A. as long as they visit a non-US port (e.g. Ensenada).

One other note, it is not the passenger that would be in violation, it is the cruise line. But the cruise line will not knowingly allow a passenger to take an itinerary that would put them in violation (as has been mentioned). So a ship being repositioned to Alaska lawfully traveling from HI to Vancouver, and then start a new trip that lawfully goes from Vancouver to Seward, will not allow a passenger doing a B2B to get on in Honolulu and off in Seward as that would be in violation (though they could get off in Vancouver and take a different ship to Seward or do a B2B that returns to Vancouver).

We booked Jewel from Seattle to Vancouver and was staying on to LA. I had them booked and about 6 weeks later I got a call from Royal saying it was a breech of the law. I never knew anything about the Jones Act or PVSA at that time.

In Uk we cant transfer cruises without losing our deposit and we cannot cancel a cruise and get our deposit back.

This time they made an exception and allowed us to book the following cruise, an LA 7 night RT.

I tried a lot of variations, but around that area the law comes into force a lot.

I could have stayed on the ship and ended up in San Juan as that is classed as a distant foreign port.

At the time, I thought it was the most ridiculous law I've ever heard off.

Royal did conduct themselves in a professional manner and explained everything perfect and did apologise for not picking up on it at the time.

I still have to google it myself though...

I could have stayed on the ship and ended up in San Juan as that is classed as a distant foreign port.

Puerto Rico is one of the ports with a specific exception, not a distant port. It is not sufficient to visit the port (such as Cartagena which is a distant port) , but you can get on in Miami and off in San Juan.

At the time, I thought it was the most ridiculous law I've ever heard off.

Though I have no disagreement as to the extent of it being ridiculous, it was originally intended to protect U.S. shipping interests. After the bankruptcy of "Project America", I somehow expected some sort of re-write, but all that wound up happening was an exception for Pride of America.

Suffice it to say, that I mostly believe that the cruise lines aren't as interested in getting this law changed or repealed as CC'ers here would like.

Suffice it to say, that I mostly believe that the cruise lines aren't as interested in getting this law changed or repealed as CC'ers here would like.

I think there is a lot on here that CC'rs would like changed. Not just the PVSA act

Before they bump it t the San Juan board, Norwegian Air has announced direct flights to/from Copenhagen and London to/from San Juan.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2199382

http://finchannel.com/index.php/business/travel-news/item/42932-norwegian-launches-new-routes-to-the-caribbean-and-croatia-from-london-Gatwick

Before they bump it t the San Juan board, Norwegian Air has announced direct flights to/from Copenhagen and London to/from San Juan.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2199382

http://finchannel.com/index.php/business/travel-news/item/42932-norwegian-launches-new-routes-to-the-caribbean-and-croatia-from-london-Gatwick

Good find. 1 les stop from Uk

Good find. 1 les stop from Uk

You bet! I had to go a quarter around the world for my last cruise out of Copenhagen to the British Isles/Iceland/Transatlantic. While that was a great overview, now I can go back at leisure for land vacations of England, Scotland, Denmark, Germany, and beyond! And you fine folk of the UK and Northern Europe can now easily use San Juan as a gateway to the beautiful Southern Caribbean!