Anyone charged the $15 corkage fee?

kristinar

I know you will be charged if opened in the dining room, but I am wondering if you carry say 5 bottles on board (not trying to "hide" them) will they charge you before getting on the ship?

Thanks in advance fellow winos.

Yes they will charge you for the extra bottles over the allowable limit.....:):):)

Bob

I know you will be charged if opened in the dining room, but I am wondering if you carry say 5 bottles on board (not trying to "hide" them) will they charge you before getting on the ship?

Yes they do. They check when you check in at the pier before boarding. If they miss you (which apparently has happened to some folks), count yourself lucky.

Edited by ar1950

I brought my two allotted carry on bottles to Crown Grill and Sabatino's. Asked before going if I would be charged a corkage fee for my own bottles.. both times was told yes. Wasn't ever charged for either.

I have never tired to take more than 2 bottles on board. Only one time was I checked and it was ok. Last time they never even pulled me aside or told to go check them in. I did go back and did it, but they marked them down but never even gave me a stamp. So it really made no difference.

If you have wine seen in the carry-on luggage screening, security is supposed to direct you to a table to declare it. If you have just the one bottle allowed per adult passenger, they still write down your cabin number. If you have more bottles, they ask which ones you'd liked to be stamped. They write up a slip for the $15 per bottle corkage fee for each bottle you have over the one allowed per adult. This charge is added to your onboard spending account.

Another cruise critic couple we met on roll call, checked a case of wine in. Princess charged them a corkage fee, no problem for them. When they got their wine, the box was open and two bottles were missing. They were down at customer service everyday asking where their 2 bottles of wine were. I don't know what the outcome was, but that's $30 that should have been credited back to them. This all happened during the Star 1/13 snafu port cruise in San Francisco. Me, I wouldn't check wine in through the porters, I'd carry it on.

Another cruise critic couple we met on roll call, checked a case of wine in. Princess charged them a corkage fee, no problem for them. When they got their wine, the box was open and two bottles were missing. They were down at customer service everyday asking where their 2 bottles of wine were. I don't know what the outcome was, but that's $30 that should have been credited back to them. This all happened during the Star 1/13 snafu port cruise in San Francisco. Me, I wouldn't check wine in through the porters, I'd carry it on.

Which is what you are suppose to do anyway. Why ask for trouble if you are just trying to follow the rules?

Our last cruise(December 1914) was out of San Francisco. The port had signs up telling us wine would be checked. For some reason our 2 bottles never got checked at all. They were in our carry-on. We had them opened on different nights in the specialty restaurants and were NOT charged a corkage fee at all. We tipped them rather well though.

The only thing I can think of as to why our wine was not checked at embarkation was because of horrible longshoreman problems in SF at that time. I'm sure you have heard the stories so I won't go into that now. But we had a lot of grumpy passengers that day and maybe Princess didn't want to push it because of that. I would love to hear from others that have embarked from SF lately to hear if they were charged a corkage fee.:eek:

PS. my guess is the porters helped themselves to the wine. Lets just say they had MAJOR attitudes and the problem as of today is still going on. In 5 days the longshoremen will walk off the job completely unless a deal is made. I heard that on our local news this morning.

Edited by timetravler

Our last cruise(December 1914) was out of San Francisco. The port had signs up telling us wine would be checked. For some reason our 2 bottles never got checked at all. They were in our carry-on. We had them opened on different nights in the specialty restaurants and were NOT charged a corkage fee at all. We tipped them rather well though.

The only thing I can think of as to why our wine was not checked at embarkation was because of horrible longshoreman problems in SF at that time. I'm sure you have heard the stories so I won't go into that now. But we had a lot of grumpy passengers that day and maybe Princess didn't want to push it because of that. I would love to hear from others that have embarked from SF lately to hear if they were charged a corkage fee.:eek:

PS. my guess is the porters helped themselves to the wine. Lets just say they had MAJOR attitudes and the problem as of today is still going on. In 5 days the longshoremen will walk off the job completely unless a deal is made. I heard that on our local news this morning.

The port is losing millions of dollars each day. A Japanese company is now flying their car parts to San Francisco rather than shipping them by ship. The workers are striking themselves out of a job. Doesn't bother me. Princess can cancel our cruise and I will find another way to entertain myself.

Our last cruise(December 1914) was out of San Francisco…. I would love to hear from others that have embarked from SF lately to hear if they were charged a corkage fee.:eek:

In August in SFO, my husband and I put identical carry-ons with one bottle of wine in each through the scanner. I got directed over to the wine table, he didn't. Luck of the draw, I guess. How many of us have forgotten to take those little bottles of liquids out of our carry-ons at airports without the TSA calling us out?

Perhaps the kerosene-powered scanners they used back in 1914 simply didn't spot your booze? ;)

Edited by shepp

We carried three bottles on and were directed to the alcohol table where they put a sticker on one bottle that we could take to the dining room. We were billed $15 for one bottle on our cruise bill.

In August in SFO, my husband and I put identical carry-ons with one bottle of wine in each through the scanner. I got directed over to the wine table, he didn't. Luck of the draw, I guess. How many of us have forgotten to take those little bottles of liquids out of our carry-ons at airports without the TSA calling us out?

Perhaps the kerosene-powered scanners they used back in 1914 simply didn't spot your booze? ;)

Now that was good.

How do they handle bringing wine back onboard from other ports? This will be our first visit to California and will definitely want to buy wine to bring back home. Hoping we can check them and get them at end of the trip vs paying another $15 per bottle.

Thanks!

How do they handle bringing wine back onboard from other ports? This will be our first visit to California and will definitely want to buy wine to bring back home. Hoping we can check them and get them at end of the trip vs paying another $15 per bottle.

Thanks!

Sometimes they have a table set up at the gangway and sometimes not.