Suggested Cutback

Giorgi-one

I guess I'm not most people either nor are a lot who cruise with Celebrity who like the bands.

BTW, I'm not the demographic that Celebrity is trying to attract. Some of us older folks like the bands/music.

Wish people would just speak for themselves and not say they are speaking for most people, when they are not.

BTW I'm 63 years young. Agree what does age have to do with it.

Edited by davekathy

I love the demographics discussion in the forum. Everyone speaks with such certainty. My guess, and its only a guess, that Celebrity is marketing to everyone and just not the Millennials. Also how does one know if a passenger is affluent? Is someone taking a census?

I think affluent, in this context and as generally used here, refers to folks who are willing to spend more and party more on board....not their bank or brokerage accounts.

IMHO, if you are paying for a suite, you have decided to be affluent at least for the cruise.

On the Reflection in December and very disappointed there was hardly any music by the pool. Need more music not less. For those that don't like the music there is always the solarium.

Edited by ozark74

Honestly...that's one of the cutbacks that celebrity should not have made....it set a very caribbean tone for everyone....not just the young or the old.

It seems that I missed the heyday of cruising when steel bands played island tunes. I wish they'd make a comeback, as it seems like the logical way to set the tone for Caribbean adventures. Ironically, I watched The View give away a Celebrity cruise yesterday, and out came a steel drum band as they presented it to the chosen winners. A bit misleading there, Celebrity powers-that-be.

It seems that I missed the heyday of cruising when steel bands played island tunes. I wish they'd make a comeback, as it seems like the logical way to set the tone for Caribbean adventures. Ironically, I watched The View give away a Celebrity cruise yesterday, and out came a steel drum band as they presented it to the chosen winners. A bit misleading there, Celebrity powers-that-be.
On the Summit there was a DJ playing a steal drum and he played Caribbean songs, as well as pop songs with a Caribbean flair.

IMHO, there is a time and place for everything!

There are enough daylight hours around a pool to have some softer-type music playing (NOT muzak stuff, but current), and then transition into a live band as the afternoon progresses and the drinks are flowing. I'm good with that.

One reason we no longer cruise with Princess was their constant blasting of outdated concerts all day long on MUTS. Talk about annoying!! :eek::(

was the DJ playing a steel drum...or playing a recording of steel drums?
He had a real drum, with drum sticks and all (well not exactly regular drum sticks, you know the ones with the big cotton type top). But beware, some complained that he was way way too loud, which he wasn't. Edited by NLH Arizona

They should either have live music, or no music at all. In the afternoon, a band by the pool is fine. But if they are just going to do recorded music, then they should turn it off, and just let people listen to what they want on their own earbuds. Having their music conflict with your music is very annoying.

I donut think the original poster got the response she hoped for, it seems more people than not like the bands. Add me to the list of folks who like live bands. Every cruise I've been on, the level of music has been fine.

I think the big problem is with the Celebrity ship design, where the two outdoor pool areas are connected. I hope the have two distinct areas on the Edge, a more quiet outdoor pool and a louder, mor each active pool, and this would be in ADDITION to the solarium with the Thesiostherapy (sp) pool.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I think you would get loads of complaints if you removed the band on Caribbean cruises. I just wish they would bring back the bands that play island music with the steel drum bands.

Agree with you Don !

I just got off the Equinox. I'm guessing the median age was in the high 60s. Just my opinion but I would also guess that the majority of suites on Celebrity are purchased by older affluent people. I hear what you are saying but it doesn't make sense for Celebrity to complete with Royal Caribbean or Carnival. I see lots of people on these boards who are doing 5 or more cruises a year, and I doubt they are young and affluent, since raising kids and working doesn't allow people 50 days a year to cruise. Now if you are talking the one percenters, what are they doing on Celebrity?

I love music. We usually attend about 20 plays a year (mostly musicals) and have a subscription to the Philly Pops Orchestra. Problem is the noise around the pool is just not music! Most young bands have the same idea - LOUDER IS BETTER! Make up for quality with quanity!

Hi Giorgi-one,

I think we were on the same sailing :)

For the most part, I thought the music situation was pretty good by the pool, though there were times in the late afternoon, when the DJ appeared, and absolutely blasted the music to ear splitting levels ! As most of the guests were older - there was always a mass exodus from the pool area. While I wish that Celebrity would stop with that nonsense.... to be fair, overall, the music was much improved than on past sailings, so it would appear that Celebrity is working to find a point that will appeal to most guests. IMO, there's still work to be done, but it is improving !

Also, IMO, there's no doubt that Celebrity is trying to attract younger guests. I'm fine with that, but I hope they appreciate & cater all guests of all ages, as opposed to putting all their eggs in one basket.

Edited by Host Andy

I think you would get loads of complaints if you removed the band on Caribbean cruises. I just wish they would bring back the bands that play island music with the steel drum bands.

We also agree with this.

Perhaps we should start a petition and send it to new CEO Lisa-it worked with the pillow chocks:)

I don't mind the party band - as long as they are good! I have endured a few that really didn't make the grade, or more to the point were singing covers that were a bad match for their vocal ability!

I love good musicans around ships and the accapela groups and if some one is playing and I dont like what I am hearing (and others are enjoying it) there are plenty of other places to go and relax.

I guess I'm not most people and I disagree with your recommendation.

I also like upbeat music poolside...adds to the cruise ambiance in my opinion.

There are plenty of places to sit quietly around the ship if one wants to read, etc.

That's why we love to cruise...choices for everyone!

My feelings exactly Don.

Loved the live music by the pool on our Summit cruise. Like someone else mentioned above it's not like they were playing all day long. In fact we enjoyed them so much we wished they would have played longer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would exempt caribbean cruises, at least the ones under 10 days from any discussion of volume. Those cruises tend to be party cruises with, pardon the stereotype, more children and younger adults. I would expect the music level to be more "party" level...which seems appropriate if you buy my stereotype :) .

My comments, and perhaps others, really pertain to the other cruises. I don't think you need "party level" loud music around the pool going to the antarctic or cruising Vietnam or on a transatlantic. Reasonable sound levels are more appropriate to the cruise and the passengers who book those cruises....and BTW, this has been our experience on Celebrity.

Edited by ghstudio

Celebrity cannot please everyone all the time. It seems to me that Celebrity passengers are the most talkative people ever. Bands are part of the cruising tradition. There is an expectation that there will be bands at the pool and by in large most people enjoy them. I wonder if the same people who have issues with the band would not protest if other traditional activities were cut.

I love the demographics discussion in the forum. Everyone speaks with such certainty. My guess, and its only a guess, that Celebrity is marketing to everyone and just not the Millennials. Also how does one know if a passenger is affluent? Is someone taking a census?

It's not about who is or isn't 'affluent'. It's more of a generational/age thing. X should offer different music programs based on the actual data specific to each sailing.

For example, noisy 'techno c-rap' will only inspire few in a crowd of mostly 50-60somethings.

Just be grateful they don't have MUTS (Music Under The Stars) as on Princess. I like live music but prefer it not to be deafeningly loud. Actually as I am a little deaf and wear two hearing aids so being able to turn them off can be quite useful. Ask my wife!

Just be grateful they don't have MUTS (Music Under The Stars) as on Princess. I like live music but prefer it not to be deafeningly loud. Actually as I am a little deaf and wear two hearing aids so being able to turn them off can be quite useful. Ask my wife!

Absolutely agree!

That was the biggest thing which we disliked on Princess.

Christmas Day on Crown Princess by the pool (sea day) they had a football game showing on that huge screen for most of the day with the volume at full.

Nope, can't agree with you on that.

Are you saying you would enjoy the music so low, than everyone falls asleep at the pool? Well I don't.

There is a middle ground between the soporific you mention and the mind-deadening throbbing which drowns out not just conversation but rational thought.

Steel drum music on Caribbean cruises is great, but amped up noise, where volume appears to fill in where talent lets off, is what we are protesting here.