United says I have a seat...

SOMBRERO6

On Jan 21st booked rnd trip airfare to San Juan. I chose our seats, but my printer wasn't working so the next day I printed out our reservations. Hubby and I have selected seats going to San Juan but only his seat is showing on the return flight. My name is there with no seat assignment. I called United and asked what that was about and was told all the seats were locked and they couldn't do anything about it. I said I paid $600.00 per person for non stop flights and I wanted to be certain I wasn't going to be left in San Juan with no ticket home! I was told they would make a note of it and don't worry. I asked if they could confirm that with an email and was told no, those seats are locked! This week I checked again, still no seat assignment for me. Called United back and was told I would be given my seat assignment at check in. He said the flight was full and there was a note that I would be given my chosen seat. Today I see the flights are $417.00 round trip and guess what? There are no seats available but they are still selling them. Options or am I worrying for nothing? Sure don't want to worry about this thru our entire cruise!

On Jan 21st booked rnd trip airfare to San Juan. I chose our seats, but my printer wasn't working so the next day I printed out our reservations. Hubby and I have selected seats going to San Juan but only his seat is showing on the return flight. My name is there with no seat assignment. I called United and asked what that was about and was told all the seats were locked and they couldn't do anything about it. I said I paid $600.00 per person for non stop flights and I wanted to be certain I wasn't going to be left in San Juan with no ticket home! I was told they would make a note of it and don't worry. I asked if they could confirm that with an email and was told no, those seats are locked! This week I checked again, still no seat assignment for me. Called United back and was told I would be given my seat assignment at check in. He said the flight was full and there was a note that I would be given my chosen seat. Today I see the flights are $417.00 round trip and guess what? There are no seats available but they are still selling them. Options or am I worrying for nothing? Sure don't want to worry about this thru our entire cruise!

You're worrying for nothing. There are some seats on the airplane that are reserved for frequent flyers holding status in United's FF plan (typically the 1st 3 or 4 rows of coach, and the exit rows). They're not 'assignable' online to non-status members, but there still may be 10-15 empty seats on the flight. At checkin you'll get put in an unassigned seat

You are confusing 'ticket' with 'seat assignment'. They are not the same thing.

You can very easily be ticketed and confirmed on a flight without having a seat assignment. Heck, lots of airlines don't even let you select a seat before you check in 24 hours before the flight.

Let's start with a couple of definition issues. You keep talking about a "seat". The first thing to get out of your head is any kind of comparison between an airline ticket and a ticket for a baseball game or play. For those latter examples, you are buying the right to use that particular seat for that particular event. With an airline ticket, you are buying transportation between AAA and BBB in a designated class of service.

Period.

Any kind of seat reservation/request/hold is simply a preference that you have expressed to the airline. Read the actual terms and conditions and you will see that you are NOT guaranteed to have that seat on your flight.

What is critical is not if you have a "seat", but do you have a "ticket". That's the 13 digit number that is the actual electronic "voucher" that indicates that you have paid for your transportation, that it has been recorded in the system and that you are OK for travel.

So....if you have an electronic ticket, you will be on that flight. As for your seat assignment, well....that's a different issue that you likely can't resolve until day of travel at the airport, and perhaps even until the gate. Accept that you may travel separately - it happens.

Regardless of what all the experts above say (and they are some of the best on these boards and a few more will join this discussion in time)....I for one feel better knowing which seat I have selected...even if it is just a "request"..as I have always had that request fulfilled by the carrier on the many many flights I have taken over the years...

Some of us it's an important part of flying some don't care until they end up separated from a traveling companion and stuck in that middle seat.

I understand your frustration and is the reason I check my booked flights often for any possible changes and am able to make the seat request changes when necessary...best of luck.

Edited by Ashland

Ashland....agreed that in most cases those requests will be honored. But it is important to know that it's not like the baseball game. And having those seat requests can be reassuring - I know we see many complaints about intra-Europe flights where there is no seat assignment in advance.

I would rather supply a definite baseline of information and have things work out even better. Maybe it's the pragmatist in me, or the one that has been disappointed in the past and has become older and hopefully wiser.

Under-promise and over-deliver has served me well.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Ashland....agreed that in most cases those requests will be honored. But it is important to know that it's not like the baseball game. And having those seat requests can be reassuring - I know we see many complaints about intra-Europe flights where there is no seat assignment in advance.

I would rather supply a definite baseline of information and have things work out even better. Maybe it's the pragmatist in me, or the one that has been disappointed in the past and has become older and hopefully wiser.

Under-promise and over-deliver has served me well.

Thanks so much for your response...however not necessay at all...just adding my 2 cents for what it's likely not worth :)

Wait a couple days and check again. This sometimes happens when they are swapping equipment or getting ready to make a schedule change.

When you look at the seat map, are all the regular economy seats blocked off (grey) and does it show availability in economy plus?

Thanks everyone! I do have the print out with my name on it.. Just no seat assignment.

That's nice. The odds of you having a ticket are huge. Now, to be absolutely certain, check on your receipt for two more pieces of data. The first is the locator, which is a six character alphanumeric. This is what the airline commonly uses to find your reservation and ticketing info. The second is the ticket number, a 13 digit number which should start with 016. This is the actual ticket reference. If you have this, you are good to go.

The only reason I explain this in detail is because you need that last part to fly. It is usually automatic for the locator to lead to the ticket, and in most cases, the ticket has been issued. But...there are times when that doesn't happen, especially when more than one airline is involved. Best to take that extra time, get both identifiers (locator and ticket number) and have them with you. Now you are set.

As mentioned before, seating is a separate issue. Sorry bout that part.

Don't worry. Keep checking the seat map. If there are seats available in E+, these will open up to lower lever UA FFs at 24 hours before the flight for free and seats in regular economy will then open. Pick one. It is possible that you will not be able to sit next to your husband. Another alternative is to pay to sit in Economy Plus.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

You're worrying for nothing. There are some seats on the airplane that are reserved for frequent flyers holding status in United's FF plan (typically the 1st 3 or 4 rows of coach, and the exit rows). They're not 'assignable' online to non-status members, but there still may be 10-15 empty seats on the flight. At checkin you'll get put in an unassigned seat

This isn't quite correct. You are talking about Economy Plus seats, and they are not held for frequent flyers. Anyone can sit there, provided they are willing to pay. They are certainly assignable to anyone online if they are available, which according to OP, they are.

This isn't quite correct. You are talking about Economy Plus seats, and they are not held for frequent flyers. Anyone can sit there, provided they are willing to pay. They are certainly assignable to anyone online if they are available, which according to OP, they are.

It's correct enough, without trying to complicate the situation. UA 1k members can get those seats without extra payment, but non-status people can't; which is pretty much what I said. The plane isn't full, but the non-extra payment/non-elite seats are full.

It's correct enough, without trying to complicate the situation. UA 1k members can get those seats without extra payment, but non-status people can't; which is pretty much what I said. The plane isn't full, but the non-extra payment/non-elite seats are full.

It's not "pretty much" what you said. You said, "They're not 'assignable' online to non-status members, but there still may be 10-15 empty seats on the flight." I'm not interested in arguing about this; I only posted a correction to let the OP know that she could chose E+ seats for a fee if she so chooses, as could any other flyer not eligible to chose them for free.

Note that United frequent flyers with Silver Status and above can select E+ seats, not just 1Ks; Silvers at check-in, others at booking.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

I'd agree with grandma here. I don't think this is very complicated, and it may help another poster to provide details. I would add that E+ rows start at the bulkhead separating economy from business or first, and go all the back through the exit row (row 21), so it's a lot more than three or four rows.

Anyone may purchase these seats anytime there are seats available. Silver may choose at no charge 24 hours before the flight, Gold, Platinum, 1K and GS may pick them any time without a fee.

Advice to keep checking the seat map is good. Complimentary upgrades for FF will start clearing at 120 hours before the flight (GS), 96 hours (1K), Platinum (72 hours), Gold (48 hours) and Silver, (day of departure). This can open up seats in regular economy.

And, as suggested, you can always pay to purchase two seats together in E+ now. If you wait until the day of the flight, you may get a free E+ seat if there's nothing else available. Of course, that seat could always be a middle one.

Good luck.

Edited by 6rugrats

I'd agree with grandma here. I don't think this is very complicated, and it may help another poster to provide details. I would add that E+ rows start at the bulkhead separating economy from business or first, and go all the back through the exit row (row 21), so it's a lot more than three or four rows.

Anyone may purchase these seats anytime there are seats available. Silver may choose at no charge 24 hours before the flight, Gold, Platinum, 1K and GS may pick them any time without a fee.

What I said is completely true:

1. Yes there is still space in the cabin
  2. No, you can't get a seat assignment because the seats that remain are reserved for frequent flyers.

The fact that #2 can be bypassed by opening your wallet has little bearing on what I said. Someone could also buy a business class ticket too if they wanted to open their wallet.

I seriously would not panic. This flight is nowhere near sold out. Here are the current stats. As you can see they are still selling lots of discounted seats and if those persons do not wish to purchase economy plus seats then they too will have a ticket without a seat assignment. The reason they won't release the blue seats is they are hedging their bets that people will panic (like you) and will pony up for those seats. They also don't want to give them away now for free because they want to leave good premium seats available for last minute travelers who pay big fares to purchase a seat with little advance notice. If all that were left are middle seats in the back of the plane then the high value customer would go to a different airlines. I know that you think you are special, but airlines are increasingly look at the revenue yield of each passenger and they are no longer just dividing people by First and Coach.

16309160760_706b4553eb_z.jpg

16495651062_e13f393762.jpg

What I said is completely true:

1. Yes there is still space in the cabin
  2. No, you can't get a seat assignment because the seats that remain are reserved for frequent flyers.

The fact that #2 can be bypassed by opening your wallet has little bearing on what I said. Someone could also buy a business class ticket too if they wanted to open their wallet.

:rolleyes:

The OP didn't ask about business class. She could always fly another airline too!

Point #2 is completely wrong, as already stated by a number of us. Economy Plus seats on United Airlines are not reserved for frequent flyers. If you don't get this, it is okay; I'm pretty sure the OP does.

:rolleyes:

Point #2 is completely wrong, as already stated by a number of us. Economy Plus seats on United Airlines are not reserved for frequent flyers. If you don't get this, it is okay; I'm pretty sure the OP does.

I believe what he said was that the only people who could reserve those seats now without paying extra, are high level frequent flyers. To me, that is akin to saying they are "reserved" for those flyers. It's been made perfectly clear that one can get around that restriction if they open their wallet, but on the surface they are not available to "regular" folks.

Edited by waterbug123