Just off 3rd trip the Oasis. Total lack of wow

rt1092

Cindy

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You are a rare breed that consistently books a suite but most are one shot deals.

ROFL. How in the world do you claim to know this as fact?! We know several people who ALWAYS book suites. You seem to be making an erroneous assumption simply because you think it fits your argument. :rolleyes:

We must be in the minority. We don't feel the need to sit in a "special" lounge to enjoy an "overall experience and social aspects." We can enjoy a free drink and talk to people anywhere; we don't need the self satisfaction of knowing we get to sit in a "special" lounge. :D

I agree. I am looking forward to the diamond drinks loaded onto my seapass card. On our last cruise, we never had trouble getting a seat the nightly diamond event, but we sure did get the stink eye from all the other diamond and "above" members, most of whom (on that sailing, not others) were easily 30 years older than us. So the "overall experience and social aspects" for us involved being glared at and ignored by the other diamonds - not much fun really.

Ok I'll bite and how do you know they aren't one time suite cruisers??

I'm a travel agent and I see it. Most people doing a suite is a once in a lifetime deal or they go maybe every two or three years. Not every year or twice a year like alot of people do. My whole problem with the suite deal is Royal is taking space away from passengers that they have been allowed to use in the past and that is not right. If the ship is built specifically for a suite area as in NCL's haven then that's great but don't take things away.

I'm a travel agent and I see it. Most people doing a suite is a once in a lifetime deal or they go maybe every two or three years. Not every year or twice a year like alot of people do. My whole problem with the suite deal is Royal is taking space away from passengers that they have been allowed to use in the past and that is not right. If the ship is built specifically for a suite area as in NCL's haven then that's great but don't take things away.

:confused:So, it is great if they built a ship a certain way from the get go, but it is not OK if the re-design/re-build it thus during a dry dock?

Does that mean the cruise line can never re-allocate space or resources to enhance their suite program to encourage people to repeatedly book suites? Catch 22?

I usually sail in regular cabins and then occasionally in a suite. When I am in a regular cabin, I never resent the extras that go to the suite folks; they paid for all those extras for those few days. If I had chosen to pay the extra $ for that cruise, I'd have gotten those extras, too. Sure, I have spent a fair bit of dough during my many cruises, but they have also fed, watered, housed, and entertained me for many, many days. And they have also given me loyalty perks for many of those days like free drinks and free internet and free photos and free laundry.

Cindy

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You are a rare breed that consistently books a suite but most are one shot deals.

I'm a travel agent and I see it. Most people doing a suite is a once in a lifetime deal or they go maybe every two or three years. Not every year or twice a year like alot of people do.

I guess I'm a rare breed then!!:D

What you're saying may in fact be true, but that has NOT been my experience. Most of the people we chatted with in the Suite Lounge on Oasis were Diamond or D+ -- they were in there because they had a suite, not because of their loyalty status.

Wait, you're the one that made the claim. Waterbug just challenged you're source.

So do you have the same feeling about loyalty programs taking over space that passengers have been allowed to use in the past? We're regular suite guests too and I expect more for my money but I'd rather take my vouchers to a bar I like than a CL or DL.

Wait, you're the one that made the claim. Waterbug just challenged you're source.

So do you have the same feeling about loyalty programs taking over space that passengers have been allowed to use in the past? We're regular suite guests too and I expect more for my money but I'd rather take my vouchers to a bar I like than a CL or DL.

You raise an interesting point. On Indy the DL was carved out of part of the Viking Crown and also incorporates a very nice out door sitting area that was taken from guests without lounge access.

I, too, am very happy about the voucher program. I'd much rather have the option of being where ever I ant to be on the ship rather than confined to one, probably over crowded, lounge.

Edited by Ocean Boy

You raise an interesting point. On Indy the DL was carved out of part of the Viking Crown and also incorporates a very nice out door sitting area that was taken from guests without lounge access.

I, too, am very happy about the voucher program. I'd much rather have the option of being where ever I ant to be on the ship rather than confined to one, probably over crowded, lounge.

We were on Brilliance in December and couldn't believe the hack job they did to the VC. We visited one night and the noise was unbearable.

No but they could have very easily changed the Pinnacle lounge which they can also go to the old CL and changed it into the suite lounge instead of another suite or the chapel on the other side same thing and not taken away a very nice bar area Viking Crown lounge from other guests.

:confused: Punctuation might help. Or maybe not. :confused:

Probably if you sit your cranky pants down next to me at a blackjack table and start whinging about your horrible experience, out of politeness I will probably nod in agreement. Then the next time I walk in and see you sitting at a table I will go find another.:D;)

Do you really expect someone you don't know to disagree with you?>:eek:

JMHO and YMMV

jc<---- thinks CC never changes... has been like this forever.

I doubt very much you would sit at a blackjack table with me. You seem like a roulette type. When I sit at the blackjack table I don't do idle chatter (but I do hear it) I don't swill down free drinks either. I concentrate on paying for the next cruise.

To all you pom pom wavers.

Royal has been degrading the product for years now. I spoke to at least 50 people (in the elevators, sitting at the blackjack table, etc) that had varying degrees of disappointment with this recent cruise. Most seemed legitimate, some were off the wall. But there was a lot of "lack of wow" sentiment on this cruise.

I doubt very much you would sit at a blackjack table with me. You seem like a roulette type. When I sit at the blackjack table I don't do idle chatter (but I do hear it) I don't swill down free drinks either. I concentrate on paying for the next cruise.

Consistently inconsistent?

Sadly, I think we're going to be going away as well. We have the Indy booked in

a couple of weeks and the NOS in November. Based on what I'm seeing, the NOS will

probably be the last for a while for us, and that's a shame. A number of years

ago we switched from RCI and tried a few different lines but we came back. I remember thinking it was like going home again.

I was on the Grandeur in Aug 2014, and on the Freedom in Dec 2014. With all their cut back, I also noticed the degrade in the overall experience. And because I don't think I was treated fairly by Royal on the Dec 7 Freedom sailing, I have decide to take my travel dollar else where and book myself to sail on the NCL Breakaway. Like others have mentioned, they probably wouldn't miss a customer like me, who is only a lowly Platinum.

Frankly I can no longer really tell the difference between NCL and Royal. The only advantage that Royal had over NCL was their dining experience. But with RCCL cut back, and NCL running a promotion to include all their premium restaurants in the base fare. There is really no reason to pay more to sail on Royal.

There was an earlier post (I think CC rightfully deleted it) stating the younger generation was the new face of Royal Caribbean and the poster further stated how he laughs and high fives the bartenders each time they see an upset cruiser. Well let me expound on that. My generation has been working for most of their lives, some of us started when we were children. Because of this, we take great pride and value in what we have earned. Therefore when something we earned is taken away from us, we take issue.

Clearly this behavior has afforded us the luxury of knowing we surpassed our parents financially, economically and in all around lifestyle.

So while his generation is laughing and doling out high fives over an elders misfortune, my generation can only look on with great solace knowing that his generation is the first in American history to earn less than their parents. A further statistic, which came out today, says the millennial's now make up a whopping 40% of the current unemployed Americans. That being said I have a message for you Royal Caribbean, Do Not Bite the Hand that Feeds You. It might be a good idea to go back to the lab and re-think things before you decide to turn away your bread and butter.

Edited by rolloman

Awesome, a professional gambler.

Any more words of wisdom? I was just using your own references. Is there something else that you say you do that you actually don't. I can't wait... There were 47 or 50 people tortured on the last cruise, by your count.

I can play the game at the dining room table too. You sit next to me whinging about the horrible cruise. Politely I will nod and grumble sure, hoping that you will realize you are at the wrong table and move on. Life is too short... but no, you stay and an hour later, I am making excuses to get out of your presence when you follow me to the bathroom...

Just saying...

jc

The more cruises one has under their belt certainly makes them more of an expert than a rookie as to how cruising used to be. They are the only ones that can testify of the changes that have occurred over the past 20 years. To discredit them as whiners is really sad. Seek their wisdom.

It is obvious to all, that the younger generation lives in a world of low prices, poor service, cheap crap, and out of control government spending. And, the young ones are perfectly fine and happy with it. They are foolish and young and don't know any better. A fool and his money are soon parted. And fools are more than willing to give their hard earned money to a cruise line that is decreasing the quality of service. I also noticed that my Charmin bathroom tissue also got 1/4 inch narrower for the same price. Did you?

I couldn't care less what size my toilet paper is. I am 52 years old, been cruising for 15 years (20 cruises) and have gladly traded my tuxedo for a nice shirt and vest with no tie. I have a Masters Degree in business and am not a fool. I prefer cheaper prices, and will gladly sacrifice my mint for it. Just because someone has cruised more than me doesn't make them wiser and whining is whining regardless of how many cruises you have. I just don't understand spending your vacation standing in the guest services line whining about silly stuff. This is a forum and that's my opinion. That's all.

There was an earlier post (I think CC rightfully deleted it) stating the younger generation was the new face of Royal Caribbean and the poster further stated how he laughs and high fives the bartenders each time they see an upset cruiser. Well let me expound on that. My generation has been working for most of their lives, some of us started when we were children. Because of this, we take great pride and value in what we have earned. Therefore when something we earned is taken away from us, we take issue.

Clearly this behavior has afforded us the luxury of knowing we surpassed our parents financially, economically and in all around lifestyle.

So while his generation is laughing and doling out high fives over an elders misfortune, my generation can only look on with great solace knowing that his generation is the first in American history to earn less than their parents. A further statistic, which came out today, says the millennial's now make up a whopping 40% of the current unemployed Americans. That being said I have a message for you Royal Caribbean, Do Not Bite the Hand that Feeds You. It might be a good idea to go back to the lab and re-think things before you decide to turn away your bread and butter.

Sorry, it is the younger generation that is the bread and butter. The old fogies like me and you are sucking off them with perks and free drinks and discounts and the young folks are are gambling and buying drinks. The cruise line doesn't owe us anything and have every right to cater to those spending money.

I wouldn't say the younger generation is happier with poor service and cheap crap but what choice is there?? I think choosing to not sweat the small stuff and have a good vacation is the way to go. everything is throw away these days, I remember when appliances would last 30 years but now 15 years is as long as they last. what choice do we have though??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I agree that the younger generation of cruisers are not necessarily happier with cheap crap or poor service it's because the have not experienced the standards that were maintained and expected of cruises 20 or 30 years ago. Looking back at the cost of cruising then and now today's pricing is is considerably cheaper, another case for the old adage" you get what you pay for".

I agree with Stewpapa. Our first cruise on the Nordic Empress was ok, but the ship was so small and confining. Service was great no doubt but the cruise we just had on the Adventure to Iceland just blew us away. We were on the Adventure over ten years ago and the food and service were just as good as then. And as the those nasty tasting chocolates on the pillow? Really? I'll bring my own Dove chocolates if I need. And if the towel animals go away I'm good with that too. People are just too jaded and demanding these days.

Edited by abridalmaven

Sorry, it is the younger generation that is the bread and butter. The old fogies like me and you are sucking off them with perks and free drinks and discounts and the young folks are are gambling and buying drinks. The cruise line doesn't owe us anything and have every right to cater to those spending money.

This is your opinion but in reality the facts are:

Cruisers average 46 years of age, with above-average ($93,000) annual household income.

Cruisers age 25-29 make up 8% 34-49 24% 49 -59 24% 60-74 18%

There is a difference between target market and actual market. It would seem to me the cruise line is targeting the younger audience (win hearts and minds) but unfortunately with its zest to achieve this goal, and as described by the OP, it is kicking sand in the face of its existing market (age 46).

This is your opinion but in reality the facts are:

Cruisers average 46 years of age, with above-average ($93,000) annual household income.

Cruisers age 25-29 make up 8% 34-49 24% 49 -59 24% 60-74 18%

There is a difference between target market and actual market. It would seem to me the cruise line is targeting the younger audience (win hearts and minds) but unfortunately with its zest to achieve this goal, and as described by the OP, it is kicking sand in the face of its existing market (age 46).

I know there are more oldies on cruises. I'm one of them, but I guarantee the younger ones spend more. That was and is my point and is all that matters in business. The oldies get on CC and brag about not spending a dime onboard.

I couldn't care less what size my toilet paper is. I am 52 years old, been cruising for 15 years (20 cruises) and have gladly traded my tuxedo for a nice shirt and vest with no tie. I have a Masters Degree in business and am not a fool. I prefer cheaper prices, and will gladly sacrifice my mint for it. Just because someone has cruised more than me doesn't make them wiser and whining is whining regardless of how many cruises you have. I just don't understand spending your vacation standing in the guest services line whining about silly stuff. This is a forum and that's my opinion. That's all.

Eliminating a mint or bathroom products, or changing the price of alcohol, does not result in cheaper prices. It affects profit margin.

The market price is set independently of cost. In other words, the desired market price is always the maximum that the Customer is willing to pay. Given the wide swings in the market price for the same room on the same sailing, we can easily see that the market price has little to do with cost. But, with a Masters degree in business, you already know that. In my opinion, of course.

Ok, first of all I never said all suite pax were loyal customers; I simply challenged your assertion of fact that "most are one shot deals." Sure, there are people wo book a "once in a lifetime" trip and go on a cruise in a suite. But I'm sure there are plenty (as mentioned, I know several personally) who cruise over and over again, ALWAYS in a suite. And over the long haul, are you really going to split hairs over the people who cruise "every two or three years" versus those who cruise "every year or twice a year?" Even at "every two or three years" it's not a "one shot deal."

As for taking away space for some that everyone has been allowed to use in the past, I suppose that means that you wrote angry letters to Royal when they did the fleet-wide "Royal Renovations" and established diamond lounges and concierge lounges on all the ships that didn't previously have them? Because that space had to come from somewhere. Same with specialty restaurants that were added, since those spaces are now restricted to those willing to cough up more cash and not just anyone who feels like popping in. Expanded kids' or teen clubs would fit that bill as well. Guessing though, that you did NOT write any such letters, as long as the new space (DL/CL) was something you personally could use. Although the argument still holds for new specialty restaurants and expanded kids' and teen clubs. :rolleyes:

I know there are more oldies on cruises. I'm one of them, but I guarantee the younger ones spend more. That was and is my point and is all that matters in business. The oldies get on CC and brag about not spending a dime onboard.

We have friends who are in their 70's and go on multiple cruises every year with Royal. They are now Pinnacle members, and they do just this... brag about how little they spend. We cruised with them once, and they were in the C.L. at the stroke of 5:00 every night, slamming down free wine. They'd stay til exactly 6:00 when they'd ask for wine "to go" in a paper cup and go to their early seating dinner. They'd pour the "to go" wine into a wine glass in the dining room and nurse it as long as they could. They would take their free bottle of wine that they got as their amenity gift and stretch it out over several days for additional wine with their dinner. They went to every single C&A party just for the free drinks, and would absolutely refuse to pay for a drink any other time. They didn't spend a dime on photos or spa services or any other extras, and didn't go on excursions. They also did not go to any specialty restaurants, ever, and looked at us like we had three heads when we suggested visiting Chops one night. (They were also aghast that we did not join them in the C.L. at 5:00 every night. "But you're missing free drinks!") They used a TA that routinely gave them $50 in OBC but then they'd complain that there was nothing to spend it on, because even though it was "free money" they just couldn't bring themselves to spend it on drinks when they could get them free in the C.L. or C&A parties, and they thought everything else was overpriced, LOL. Oh, and they didn't gamble either. RC literally got the cabin fare from them and that was it.

Yes, I know, not all older people are that tight, it's just an example of what you tend to see more with older pax than younger pax, IME.