Why did Celebrity do away Farewell Napkin Waving

B17

Probably because it was annoying and tacky. It just irritates the crew who have jobs to do and passengers who are trying to enjoy a nice meal.

Agreed

the crew wants to make the passengers happy , just do their jobs the best they can. The passengers want to show how much they appreciate the crews hard work , treat them with respect and tip them well.

We don't need the floor show.

Here again -- I think this is just the evolving picture of the modern cruiser. Unlike generations past, this "new" cruiser:

-- doesn't want to eat dinner at set times, every night;

-- doesn't want to be seated at a table with total strangers;

-- doesn't want to be told when to dress up for dinner;

-- doesn't want to spend two hours eating dinner;

-- and, doesn't really want the traditional dining room entertainment (singing waiters and chef parades).

Perhaps RC has it right, with their new "dynamic dining" concept. If folks just want the MDR to be another restaurant, you might as well provide them with as many choices as possible.

Yep, that's us. Except I don't really mind the singing waiters and chef parades when it's done for fun and not just because "it's a tradition". On Carnival it is terribly silly but loads of fun - on some other cruiselines it is just torture. Depends on the atmosphere of the MDR.

HOKEY! i don't think the staff enjoys it either.

Like I said in my other post. My daughter and her fellow employees hated that "Happy Birthday" spiel they had to do at the restaurant . Everyone tried to be busy when they had to do it.

The MDR staff work a lot longer and harder hours so I bet not too many of them are that crazy about it.

Actually, I can see how my post could be interpreted as "age-ist" -- but, that was truly not my intention. :o When I was speaking about the "new generation" of cruisers, I meant folks who (regardless of age) have only started cruising in the last few years. Folks for whom true European-Style white-glove service in the MDR is only something they've heard about from us "old-timers". ;) Yes, things are changing -- and, will continue to change. But, like you, I really hope that Celebrity continues to offer a luxurious and classy cruising experience. :cool:

Agree completely. Although I'm over 50 and my first cruise was almost 15 years ago I have only become a regular cruiser since things started to change. All the silly traditions and rules put me off cruising for years and the only alternative was one of the drunken "party ships". Now that the market has broadened cruising is a far more attractive holiday option.

Some may say this is a "dumbing down" of cruising but when one of the things being phased out is the stupid napkin-waving I don't think that argument is valid - quite the opposite actually.

Instead of waving napkins, would it better if the crew got together to sing a song?

That is my experience on Royal. They love to sing songs. From what I can see, the passengers appreciate it too.

This was on the Voyager of the Seas, Singapore to Shanghai. The dining room staff sang 2 songs - a famous Italian and a famous Mandarin song.

[YOUTUBE]GaexSWPHLuY[/YOUTUBE]

Actually, I can see how my post could be interpreted as "age-ist" -- but, that was truly not my intention. :o When I was speaking about the "new generation" of cruisers, I meant folks who (regardless of age) have only started cruising in the last few years. Folks for whom true European-Style white-glove service in the MDR is only something they've heard about from us "old-timers". ;) Yes, things are changing -- and, will continue to change. But, like you, I really hope that Celebrity continues to offer a luxurious and classy cruising experience. :cool:

Ah, I get it now! And I do suppose that I agree with the sentiment after reading these boards for the last few weeks. I like change and all that jazz, but there's something to be said about tradition, too. :D

Ah, I get it now! And I do suppose that I agree with the sentiment after reading these boards for the last few weeks. I like change and all that jazz, but there's something to be said about tradition, too. :D

I think, in the end, it's about striking a happy medium between the two -- don't you? :)

BTW -- Love the kitty-cat in your avatar! :cool:

Re the comments about spreading Noro Virus etc - sorry I just think the world has gone mad. How the Human Race has ever survived this long surprises me ..... :rolleyes:

Thanks for defending sanity. And people automatically think the worse. At least this would be the last night :rolleyes:.

Thanks for defending sanity. And people automatically think the worse. At least this would be the last night :rolleyes:.

Actually, that would be really great. Let me see. Would I rather risk it mid cruise or on an airplane at 10k feet.

That's not why I don't like it. The real reason is that the MDR tends to take way too long as it is and anything that extends it is not for me.

We didn't like the requests for "give us a ten on the survey" that went with our previous RCI cruise towel waving event. That was annoying.

We are in our 50s and we agree with the "new generation" post. There is still enough of a mix of options that some can still have their set dining and dress up. It is just that some don't want to do those things.

We have met lovely people on select/my time and even at lunch in the windjammer. There is nothing to stop you having a nice chat and clicking with people at lots of places on the ships.

Edited by goodycruising

We go on our first Celebrity cruise next month & won't miss the napkin waiving if it has been dropped on Solstice.

On our 6 RCCL cruises they did the napkin waive on some, & the singing on the last night on all, first cruise it's OK, but once is enough.

I agree it's a bit tacky - sort of a la 1970's to me.

On our last RCCL cruise on Rhapsody we were on My Time (select) dining & on some nights they did this napkin waiving for peoples birthdays, one night it was 3 times. I found it all a bit tasteless & gave the MDR more of a McDonalds vibe!

I think these sort of things must be up to the person in charge of the MDR or senior staff to some extent.

I would prefer they gave us a string quartet or classical pianist for a more elegant experience on formal nights.:)

We go on our first Celebrity cruise next month & won't miss the napkin waiving if it has been dropped on Solstice.

On our 6 RCCL cruises they did the napkin waive on some, & the singing on the last night on all, first cruise it's OK, but once is enough.

On our last RCCL cruise on Rhapsody we were on My Time (select) dining & on some nights they did this napkin waiving for peoples birthdays, one night it was 3 times. I found it all a bit tasteless & gave the MDR more of a McDonalds vibe!

I think these sort of things must be up to the person in charge of the MDR or senior staff to some extent.

I would prefer they gave us a string quartet or classical pianist for a more elegant experience on formal nights.:)

Funny that you should mention that. On our Jewel last fall we were asking the Matre D' about the piano. He said "you know we are paying that guy, wonder why he isn't down here playing". Every night after that he was.

I think, in the end, it's about striking a happy medium between the two -- don't you? :)

BTW -- Love the kitty-cat in your avatar! :cool:

Striking a good balance between tradition and change can't be easy for any company, especially one that has such a wide variety of customers to please. I really do respect that it's challenging, and I'm happy to go into any new change with an open mind! :)

And thanks! That kitty has been gone for a while now but he was a really special friend and I enjoy keeping his memory alive :D

We didn't like the requests for "give us a ten on the survey" that went with our previous RCI cruise towel waving event. That was annoying.

I don't mind this reminder. may people don't realize that companies that rely on surveys, have in-house rules that basically say a 10 is a pass and a 9 or less is a fail.

When staff are bonused and get raises and promotions based on survey's, it's important we as customers realize that giving a bunch of 9's just because we are of the "no one is ever perfect" ilk are in fact giving out failing grades to the staff, knowing the fact that they need 10's causes me to give the 10's because I realize how different a 9 versus 10 is. Now if something was definitely off, I have no problem scoring a 5 or a 7.

When I was a manager at Marriott, my quarterly bonus was tired directly to guest satisfaction scores. I got into my grubby little paws each and every hand filled survey (after tabulated by corporate - this was in the early 90's) to understand what my guests were saying, and see how many of the 9 givers there were, who would leave in comments things like "I give all 9's only because no one is perfect, and people allways have room to improve" they had no idea they in effect ruined my bonus checks. :-( Of course the bonus scheme allowed for a certain amount of non-10's it was all known to us. Part of that led us to do things like tell guests "we want a perfect score, please let us know what we can do to ensure that if we aren't already meeting that goal". It worked.

I was brought in to turn a Courtyard around, from ranked 113 of 117 in the chain at the time for guest satisfaction. Within 3 months I assembled a team with my new manager and we turned around to get the "Best of the Best Award", being in the top 10 hotels for 3 months running after doing this, 3 times. We did this by engaging guests and making staff happy, At the same time, we raised daily room rates from $49 to $99. Very tough to double room rates AND have happy guests.

Edited by cle-guy

Just like a root canal - once in enough!

It sort of reminded me of those lousy chain restaurants where the waiters and waitresses sing Happy Birthday.:rolleyes: OK if your 7 or 8 years old but for so-called grownups!:eek:

Now I just pack ear plugs and bring them along to the MDR - problem solved.;)

I don't mind this reminder. may people don't realize that companies that rely on surveys, have in-house rules that basically say a 10 is a pas a 9 or less is a fail.

When staff are bonused and get raises and promotions based on survey's, it's important we as customers realize that giving a bunch of 9's just because we are of the "no one is ever perfect" are in fact giving out failing grades to the staff, knowing the fact that they need 10's causes me to give the 10's because I realize how different a 9 versus 10 is.

No! It's the companies who are designing the surveys and interpreting the surveys responsibility to realize a 9 out of 10 is an A+ in the Real World of their customers. A 5 out of 10 is a fail (6 in the courses I teach, I'm a tough SOB:)), a 9 out of 10 is darn near perfection!

BTW my DW is still a 9! A Real World 9.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

We did our first cruise 11 years ago. We started on Cunard because we like the old traditions of dressing up for dinner. Since Cunard does few Caribbean trips, we switched to Celebrity(the Eclipse) this ship seems to hold traditions similar to Cunard(unlike other Celebrity ships)We don't mind the parade & napkin waving.

We did our first cruise 11 years ago. We started on Cunard because we like the old traditions of dressing up for dinner. Since Cunard does few Caribbean trips, we switched to Celebrity(the Eclipse) this ship seems to hold traditions similar to Cunard(unlike other Celebrity ships)We don't mind the parade & napkin waving.

I'm jealous! I've never sailed on Cunard -- but, have wanted to, since back when the QEII was still sailing. :cool:

• 1 month later...
We just got off Eclipse on 15 Mar. Plenty of napkin waving in MDR for last formal night

Yes, we were on the Eclipse b2b Mar.1st and 15th and we waved those napkins and hooted our wait staff like we were greeting the Pope!!!! It's just plain fun!

Sent from my iPad

:eek:I think its the worst thing they've ever done on cruise ships take your dirty napkin and swirl it around, in everyones face pleases tell me we've come to are senses Please tell me its over with