Why did Celebrity do away Farewell Napkin Waving

B17

One thing I really used to enjoy at the end of the cruise was the parade of chefs, the clapping, the napkin waving, the dancing with the waiters and a general good feeling for the end of a great cruise.

Last year, we noticed there was nothing going on in the MDR. We had new virgin cruisers with us and I know they would have loved this and given it a special ending to their holiday. So why did they stop this, surely not from listening to a few moaners? After all from the noise everyone used to make and the way everyone joined in, it seems the majority loved it.

I don't know why they did, but I am thankful they have.

Perhaps because it seems odd to go through such fanfare for the restaurant staff, but no one thinks anything about the bar staff, cabin stewards, janitorial staff, trash sorting staff, sewage treatment staff, ship painting crews, that it was obvious one class of employees as granted strong favor at the expense of others?

I don't know why they did, but I am thankful they have.

Perhaps because it seems odd to go through such fanfare for the restaurant staff, but no one thinks anything about the bar staff, cabin stewards, janitorial staff, trash sorting staff, sewage treatment staff, ship painting crews, that it was obvious one class of employees as granted strong favor at the expense of others?

Curt, I think that tradition hearkens back to a time when folks spent much more time in the MDR, than they do today. All three meals were eaten there, often at the same assigned table. There were other shows, like the parade of waiters with flaming Baked Alaska on their heads (sounds strange, but it was quite impressive). But, times have changed, and now the MDR seems like just another restaurant.

I remember reading on another thread on the same subject that it was stopped on the cruise they were on because of Noro. Apparantly it was felt that waving napkins which had been used by guests could spread bacteria.

On the Solstice last year they certainly had the parade so this must be a new development if it has been rolled out across the fleet.

I have been against all of the cutbacks except for this one. We could not stand the napkin waiving and are very thankful it's gone. Oh and we were not against getting rid of the wandering group of guys that would break out into song at the worst possible tine and place.

One thing I really used to enjoy at the end of the cruise was the parade of chefs, the clapping, the napkin waving, the dancing with the waiters and a general good feeling for the end of a great cruise.

Last year, we noticed there was nothing going on in the MDR. We had new virgin cruisers with us and I know they would have loved this and given it a special ending to their holiday. So why did they stop this, surely not from listening to a few moaners? After all from the noise everyone used to make and the way everyone joined in, it seems the majority loved it.

i am glad they stopped? I never liked it, because it used to hold up dessert and coffee also. Got late to the show due to that. Also I didn't like singing on the banister of "O Solo Mio" Sorry just My opinion !

You can't tell me they enjoy that every cruise non stop.

I liked the parade, the waving of napkins not so much though I participated. I think it did encourage a "hail fellow well met" camaraderie that is missed in Select dining. We were on the Jan 12 Equinox and didn't notice it happening. I liked the introductions, etc., but I can imagine they are disruptive to the Select Diners.

I remember the Baked Alaska parade too. Miss the parade, but not the Baked Alaska - it isn't my favorite dessert.

Beth

We really liked it. We first saw it on P&O as a tradition of cruising. Love all the traditional stuff and are sad that both Celebrity and P&O don't do this anymore. :(

Re the comments about spreading Noro Virus etc - sorry I just think the world has gone mad. How the Human Race has ever survived this long surprises me ..... :rolleyes:

We really liked it. We first saw it on P&O as a tradition of cruising. Love all the traditional stuff and are sad that both Celebrity and P&O don't do this anymore. :(

Re the comments about spreading Noro Virus etc - sorry I just think the world has gone mad. How the Human Race has ever survived this long surprises me ..... :rolleyes:

Think about it...a passenger sneezes into their napkin, or blows their nose into their napkin (IMHO bad manners), and then proceeds to wave their napkin around...over and over again. It probably does spread some germs into the air.

It may be a cruising tradition, but it was time to retire that custom.

Think about it...a passenger sneezes into their napkin, or blows their nose into their napkin (IMHO bad manners), and then proceeds to wave their napkin around...over and over again. It probably does spread some germs into the air.

It may be a cruising tradition, but it was time to retire that custom.

That is disgusting

animation_sneeze.gif

Edited by A Sixth?
I do NOT approve of this post

We didn't see it in 2012 or Feb 2013, but did in May 2013, as well as Feb 2014 but not June 2014. I wonder if it depends on the restaurant manager and chef as well as the F & B manager as to whether or not they do it?

Personally I don't miss it.

I also don't care for baked Alaska. I had a waiter in May 2013 who didn't even bother taking orders that night, just slid a plate of it in front of everyone. Kind of annoyed me, as there were other offerings available and he didn't even ask.