Crew interactions after auto tipping started

The-Inside-Cabin

Before auto tipping became the norm, I sailed Princess and RCI under the old school "pass out the envelope' method and hand the Maitre d $5 on the last night.. I took a few years off cruising and came back on HAL when they had the auto tip program going.

Before auto tips on Princess - the MDR waiters and stewards went way out of the way to chat you up....Spending a minute or 2 telling jokes before dinner etc...the steward worked hard to become your best friend.

Today they are all very friendly - but is seems to be all business - which I like

Question - I recall that "back in the day" tipping was not required on HAL....did people tip anyway? Was the customer interaction different? Do you like it better today? Of "back in the day?"

Interesting question. It does seem that longer interaction happened back in the day but I may have also been abit more interesting then as well :D. I do think that most mid priced cruise lines have cut back on staff and this has also affected the amount of time for interaction. I did tip when auto tipping was not available and still tip extra with an envelope when I feel it is appropriate.

Question - I recall that "back in the day" tipping was not required on HAL....did people tip anyway? Was the customer interaction different? Do you like it better today? Of "back in the day?"

Everyone I knew did tip "back in the day" but the main dining room on the last night had noticeably fewer diners :(

I think that the reduction in chatting is a direct result of the reduction in staff -- fewer staff with much more work.

From our first HAL cruise to our most recent, HAL crews have always been one of the main reasons we returned for over 80+ HAL cruises. I don't think the interaction between crew and guest has changed except for the fact there are fewer crew doing the same work. They don't have as much time to tell jokes and chat up guests as in the past. We have been seated at exact same table on same ship (and sisters) and have watched as the service stations were more sparsely manned and all dining stewards have way more people to serve.

We ALWAYS had an envelope for all our dining and cabin stewards, bartenders and bar staff and though there is now automatic hotel service charge billed, we always have envelopes for those who have gone out of their way to make our cruise more special.

Generally the friendliness/expectation of tips seems to depend on crew's personalities more than anything, but I do know what you mean.

Back then, the crew often did increase the personal interaction the last few days of a cruise and were sometimes obviously waiting and hoping for that envelope.

Now, they still seem to expect extra tipping. This sort of surprised us at first, but we got used to it quickly.

The more business attitude now translates that way sometimes because of personalities, sometimes from the cues they pick up from their customers.

As an aside: anyone who likes a lot of interaction need only to learn Bahasa Indonesian!

We did tip before it was automatic. Our cabin boys & waiters get a little extra on the last day. I guess it's not just us but we too have noticed that there are less crew to look after the guests, so they are more rushed. We do try to engage our wait staff in conversation & also get to know our cabin boys.

Allan & Marlane

We did tip extra when it was "no tipping required"

and we tip now when there is HSC 99% of the time.

The look I get from the crew are usually surprise, big smiles and I usually get thanked profusely.

I don't think it is taken for granted.

Yes, I did tip before it changed. I still do, on top of the hsc many times. I'm guilty of tipping more than I should really. I don't want them to me my bestie ;). I just enjoy decent service and will chat if they want to. I'm respectful that they do have a job to do and don't want to tie them up unnessisarily.

Edited by cruz chic

We did tip extra when it was "no tipping required"

and we tip now when there is HSC 99% of the time.

The look I get from the crew are usually surprise, big smiles and I usually get thanked profusely.

I don't think it is taken for granted.

I agree: I don't think the extra tipping is taken for granted, but I do see, especially on longer cruises (over 30 days), that there is some expectation (hope) of extra.

That is fine by me, because most deserve it.

We always tipped before, and still do today. (We travel with thank you note cards, and use them.) I haven't noticed much of a difference between today and days of yore. There are always some staff members who are chatty and there are others who are all business. I can't say that I ever saw the friendliness level amped up later in the cruise.

We always make it a point to learn people's names a day greet them accordingly. (The only problem is that I often suck with names, so luckily I have Huskerchick to keep me on the ball.)

Hi everybody.

We are from the UK and i got taken to task by you all on the HAL site for talking about Tips on HAL.

I was told in no uncertain terms that it was a Service Charge, not tips.

Am confused now....😄 there again doesn't take much.

Once thing I have noticed is that the waiters in the Pinnacle definitely do not expect tipping.

When you do, they seem shocked.

I agree. Regardless of what people post here I doubt it tipping occurs very often. I remember a while back on a princess thread posters were posting that they were leaving $50 tips. I couldn't believe it. It came up about a month or two ago and the same posters posted a totally different story. I think some folks need to keep notes:D;).

I agree. Regardless of what people post here I doubt it tipping occurs very often. I remember a while back on a princess thread posters were posting that they were leaving $50 tips. I couldn't believe it. It came up about a month or two ago and the same posters posted a totally different story. I think some folks need to keep notes:D;).

To be a good liar, one needs to have a good memory (I think that's what you're saying)?

I've often thought people were telling fibs when they brag about the amount of cash they leave to crew.:cool:

Once thing I have noticed is that the waiters in the Pinnacle definitely do not expect tipping.

This answer is about tipping in general and not simply the Pinnacle.

I think their fear/shock is that when you give cash that you are going to take off auto tips and they will then have to explain to their boss that you weren't really dissatisfied.

When I tip extra, I always mention that I am leaving auto tips ON and this is for above and beyond. I don't know if that is necessary or helps. I may start adding a short note so they don't think I am going to stiff the HSC.

Edited by Pete and Judy

I think their fear/shock is that when you give cash that you are going to take off auto tips and they will then have to explain to their boss that you weren't really dissatisfied.

When I tip extra, I always mention that I am leaving auto tips ON and this is for above and beyond. I don't know if that is necessary or helps. I may start adding a short note so they don't think I am going to stiff the HSC.

We provide the tip with a thank you note, in which we specifically mention that we ARE paying the HSC, that this is an extra "thank you" and identify ourselves by name and cabin #.

Edited by CowPrincess

This answer is about tipping in general and not simply the Pinnacle.

interesting. I just say thank you in a note and a bit extra to show our appreciation.

I've never taken HSC off and I suspect they know who does and who doesn't

It seems to me that interaction is to some degree a function of where your table is. On our last cruise (12/14) most nights we were at a 2-top in a back corner near a steward station, and the waiter and assistant both stopped often to take a mini-break and chat a little.

Just three months earlier we sailed with two friends and out of 16 nights in Open seating we only ended up at repeat tables about three times. Our tables were generally more in the center of the room, so the waiters did not "hang around" to talk much. However, the wine stewardess who covered several of those tables always had time to stop and talk a little.

On a Maasdam cruise three years ago we had an "area captain" (or asst MDR manager, or whatever the level just above the waiter is called) who always had little parlor tricks or puzzles (e.g. nails twisted together which had to separated) to entertain us every night, while the waiters didn't socialize all that much.

So overall, I don't see it related to auto HSC ... but I like it better when there is more interaction.

Edited by jtl513

interesting. I just say thank you in a note and a bit extra to show our appreciation.

I've never taken HSC off and I suspect they know who does and who doesn't

They find out who removed tips. Not sure when they find out. This is because if you remove auto tips they have to put any cash you give into the pool and then they will see 30 pct or so of what you gave .

There was a dust up on Carnival a while back when someone on a kitchen tour saw the daily email from the purser listing who removed auto tips...

We provide the tip with a thank you note, in which we specifically mention that we ARE paying the HSC, that this is an extra "thank you" and identify ourselves by name and cabin #.

This is a very nice touch. Another thing we have done is fill out a card with favorable comments about staff. Does HAL have cards you can fill out to give kudo's to staff (turn into guest services)?

Yes HAL has those cards, can't remember the name, but I ask at the Front Desk for a comment card, and I get one :) You will also get an email survey when you get home, and when I do the survey. I will mention by name any staff that I think deserves recognition.

:) :) All the many times DH and I tipped in Pinnacle, no steward seemed the least surprised. They were always appreciative and polite, said thank you and went on their way. Because we often have breakfast in Pinnacle, DH did not tip each time we went to breakfast and/or dinner but tipped every few days and always at the end of the cruise. I won't say they expected it though they might have as we have seen many of the same stewards from ship to ship. Maybe one tells the others they remember people from other cruises and recalls they 'tipped'? Who knows? Maybe.....

Yes HAL has those cards, can't remember the name, but I ask at the Front Desk for a comment card, and I get one :) You will also get an email survey when you get home, and when I do the survey. I will mention by name any staff that I think deserves recognition.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I think the cards may be called "Let Us Know".