What's the advantage to ChoiceAir in my situation?

gsu_paintballer

Second, that line about them ensuring you get to your ship (no, they don't hold the ship for you...they just guarantee to get you there).

Everything is really identical...

We have the same flights, we have a trip locator number--so we can change seat assignments directly with the airlines...Once it's booked, everything is really the same...

And, the terms are basically the same--both are paid at the time of booking, etc.

Back in the "old days", I booked a few times with the cruise lines--and there were some advantages and disadvantages: The prices were negotiated at a bulk rate early...and uniform no matter where you were flying from...

But, now, the Choice Air thing means the cruise lines are really just acting as a booking agent for the airfare...Their Choice Air website is very easy to use...and a great resource for checking the airfares...

No, they really don't. Read what their verbiage actually says, not what it kinda sorta sounds like. You will find words like "work with the airline" and "when feasible" etc. etc. They cannot magically create available seats on a plane that is sold out, so they cannot guarantee even to get you there.

As for everything being identical, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. Some tickets are still bulk purchased/specially negotiated/consolidator (whatever term you prefer) fares that ARE subject to different rules and restrictions. If nothing goes wrong, you'll likely never realize there were differences. But if things do go wrong on flight day, then depending on exactly what different rules and restrictions possibly apply to your ticket, you may well find out.

By the way, having a record locator and being able to change seats means little. A poster named Greatam has an excellent explanation of all of this in the sticky notes on the cruise air forum.

Thanks for the posters that put it in English for me:rolleyes:. I book a lot of international and a lot of time one way (in English, segments :rolleyes:) on one airline, returning on another is a lot cheaper........ Segments :rolleyes:.

Even in English your post is questionable. I just did a test booking: round trip JFK - LHR on American Airlines 9/14 to 9/28 came to $1,146. That included UK departure tax. One way JFK to LHR (same flight) on 9/14 was $1,318.

I fly to Europe annually to pick up T/A's and regularly find cruise line arrangements to provide substantial savings over one way bookings. In 2014 per person from JFK to Rome plus Fort Lauderdale back to,JFK after cruise came to $850 - Booked separately on every airline I checked it would have cost over $1,200.

Anyone who says prices are the same for one way or open jaw whether you book ChoiceAir or direct with the airline is way off base.

Simple example:

SAV-LHR May 6th, Choice Air: $417.70

Same flights, direct from Delta: $1816.30

Not even in the same universe.

Segments matter.

AirChoice Saved me money on the return trip from Miami last month by finding a fare that started on AA and transferred to Alaska in Wash DC. I could not get that combination to come up on travelocity or Kayak. This turned out to be the first time I have booked airfare on something other than Travelocity or direct on Southwest.

Often there is no penalty for flying one way but it is not absolute. Good to know about the potential saving for one way flights to europe. I hope to do a transatlantic in the next 2-3 years. The prices on travelocity or other options I have looked at can be almost as much as the 11-14 day cruise.

Thanks for the posters that put it in English for me:rolleyes:. I book a lot of international and a lot of time one way (in English, segments :rolleyes:) on one airline, returning on another is a lot cheaper........ Segments :rolleyes:.

I'd love to know what airline(s) you're using...

Only reasonable one way to Europe I know of is ANZ, the LAX to LHR route.

I'd love to know what airline(s) you're using...

Only reasonable one way to Europe I know of is ANZ, the LAX to LHR route.

May make difference to your location. To LHR from denver cheapest is Air France, Virgin coming back. Thru NYC going, Minneapolis coming back.

May make difference to your location. To LHR from denver cheapest is Air France, Virgin coming back. Thru NYC going, Minneapolis coming back.

You realize the conversation you responded to was talking a strict one way, no return. I'm seeing Denver to London on air france for $1,600. :eek:

I haven't found compelling differences in price for domestic flights but I use Choice Air anyway because of their flight delay policy.

Prices for open jaw international business class are incredibly good. Our flight from Rome to Denver, booked on Choice Air, cost 63% less than American Airlines or several flights on Travelocity.

I found the same thing for Intermational Business class, terrific prices flying into New Zealand and Leaving Australia

And also flyinto Hawaii and leaving Vancouver

Haven't really found an advantage on most round trip domestic flights, they won't necessarily wait for you if your flight is delayed but they will fly you to next port if your flight gets delayed, but I think so will most airlines will also

Hi, I was referring to an actual one way ticket, the type I'd purchase for a Trans Atlantic, choice air is always much, much cheaper for a true one way ticket (except for ANZ)

For other tickets, I've found them to be the same prices that I can book direct through the airlines.

Location has nothing to do with it -- the fact is: you are talking about round trips - even on different airlines - sure, if you are willing to go through the hassle of multiple boardings/layovers. If you do a one way, whether it is a straight flight of involve one or more connections, the fare will be higher than for a round trip.