Old HOLLAND AMERICA story - with apologies!

Topsham

I heard this one a couple of weeks ago and thought I would pass it on. I'm just the messenger!;)

Back in the 1920s......

Two English old ladies were at the travel agency trying to book a crossing from England to America. They wanted to book on the Cunard or the White Star Line. Well.... no way would sail on them 'foreign' ships!

The Berengaria was in drydock and the Majestic had just sailed. The agent suggested that they should try Holland America Line, the new Statendam.

The two ladies said, "Oh no! I don't want on that 'Holland' line. I hear the food is awful. Horrible food." First one said, "I hear they eat all that tasteless soused herring stuff." The other friend said, "They even say that they eat hot dogs!"

The agent politely said, "Well, the Statendam is sailing tomorrow and, please try. It really is a nice ship. 'The Queen of the Spotless Fleet'." A day later they found themselves on board... on the North Atlantic heading to New York.

First sitting at dinner, the two ladies saw the menu and sure enough... all that Holland horrible food..... HERRING and HOT DOG!!!!! Almost made them ill. Some other people at the tables seemed to like it so they would give it a try... no herring... that was just too much! So they both said, "We will try the hot dog." When their dinner arrived in front on them the first lady said, "Well, I can see the part of the dog that I got. What part of the dog did you get?" :D

Stephen

[quote name='0bnxshs']Nice! :D That's either a well endowed dog or.... :confused::eek:[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Get your mind out of the gutter.:D It could have been the tail:eek:.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE="3"]Thanks Stephen for the laugh..

Reminds me about a Lady who came from Scotland & took care of me while my Mom worked, when I was a child [B]Many Many[/B] years ago..:):eek:

This Lady always wanted me to try food which I was not used to.. She explained that it was impolite to refuse to try a food when someone else was the host..

When she first came to the U.S.,she never had eaten corn on the cob, because that was what they fed the pigs in Scotland.. However, she was also a very well mannered lady & was at the home of someone who served her "Corn on the Cob" .. So my Scottish Baby Sitter said she had to try it, in order not to be impolite.. She was hooked forever & when she had to cook dinner for me, about once a month, we always had corn on the cob, which I love to this day..[/SIZE] Edited by serendipity1499

According to legend (take it for what it's worth) . When Marilyn Monroe was married to Arthur Miller, they would have dinner at his mothers house every Sunday. The mother would always serve Matzo Ball soup.

After a few months of this , she finally had to ask her husband "Doesn't your mother know how to cook any other part of the Matzo?" Edited by babyher

Thanks guys. All I did is repeat the one I heard two weeks ago in Nw Amsterdam. The person who told it is well known to most CC members! ;)
I laughed all evening. Probably too much wine!:D

Oh.....

On that subject..... Hendricks Gin.... excellent. Makes the best martini!

But a couple of days back in home... I went to Bolero's for a gin on tonic and went for the Hendricks. The bar tender added a chopped pieces of cucumber. WOW!!!!!!

Stephen

[quote name='babyher']According to legend (take it for what it's worth) . When Marilyn Monroe was married to Arthur Miller, they would have dinner at his mothers house every Sunday. The mother would always serve Matzo Ball soup.

After a few months of this , she finally had to ask her husband "Doesn't your mother know how to cook any other part of the Matzo?"[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Oh my another funny story.. I'm still laughing.. On my way to cook dinner now..[/SIZE]

Mum cooking dinner for the brats.... seven of us. Hilda,a friend said to mum, 'What's cooking?" Mum says, "Fish balls." Hilda said, I didn't know fish had..........?" You know the rest. I swear. Even the young brats got that it!

Well OK.... there were seven of us. Six boys, one girl. :D

[quote name='Himself']I did! I love hotdogs but like the ladies, herring is not my cup of tea.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]DH's Mother & Father came from Germany & Holland.. Family tradition dictated that they had herring on New Years..

I had never had herring but one New Years finally after being nagged to try it, agreed to trying it at home with the understanding that I never had to have it again..

While having a lovely Bloody Mary I ate a tiny piece of pickled herring as large as a thumb nail.. I really enjoyed it & now we always have pickled herring at our Christmas shindigs & New Years.. Haven't been able to try herring in Cream sauce though.. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Topsham']Mum cooking dinner for the brats.... seven of us. Hilda,a friend said to mum, 'What's cooking?" Mum says, "Fish balls." Hilda said, I didn't know fish had..........?" You know the rest. I swear. Even the young brats got that it!

Well OK.... there were seven of us. Six boys, one girl. :D[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]That poor Girl! :D;)[/SIZE]

[quote name='CowPrincess']Hot dogs? :D
(sorry I just could not stop myself :D )[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Good one![/SIZE]:D