Family Pool Time?

vacationmommy

We are looking at the solstice for our family cruise to Alaska in Aug 2016. I was reading some reviews and I saw a few that said that anyone under 16 can only be in the pool 1 hour a day. We have been on many ships and never heard of this so I called the customer service line and was told "We cater to family's and your kids 11/15 will feel welcome on every area of the ship" After I hung up I realized that I never got a real yes or no from the lady who changed the subject back to what room I wanted a celebrity suite or the royal so I thought I would ask here. Thank you.

If you are talking about the solarium adults-only pool than no kids under 16 are not allowed and please adhere to that and be kind to us that our escaping the noise and chaos of children (I love them, I do, but that is why I don't go to the main pool)

With that said, maybe on the Alaska cruises there is dedicated family swim time because the main pool is too cold. Whatever the posted rules are please follow them.

this is not a grumpy post...it isn't..... we traveled with our teenager daughter on cruises for a decade (she is now in mid-20's). We chose Carnival and Royal because they cater to families and kids also NCL does too.

There is a main pool that is open to everyone at any time, unless a portion of that pool is reserved for volleyball or some other game.

On reflection, there is an adult pool, and then the main pool is divided into two areas, one deeper than the other. The deeper side is the side generally used for volleyball. Your kids will still have access to the main pool.

There may be times when the main pool cannot be used due to weather (i.e. too cold, too rainy etc.). In these cases, X at their discretion, may open the adult pool to families, in which case there may be time/use restrictions.

For Alaska, you may want to also look at HAL. Some of their ships have the covered pools so you don't have to be concerned about weather impacting the use of the pool. But I've never done an Alaska sailing so I can't provide any guidance to you on how often, if at all, the pools are restricted.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

The Solarium is an adults (16+) area and I've seen families removed for violating the age rule. I too have read that on some Alaskan cruises that they have an hour, sometimes twice a day where there is a family swim time as the outdoor pools are too cold.

Yes your children would be welcomed during those published times - but they would not be welcome during adult only time. The Solarium is loved by many for it's child free space and the peace and quiet that comes from that.

Did Alaska last year on Solstice and they did have a family time in the Solsrium as it was rainy and cold for a couple of days. The Solarium is an adults only area however Celebrity puts on their website that they reserve the right to open it to children during inclement weather.

There are also many times when the outdoor hot tubs are used as children's pools in cooler weather although not intended for that purpose.,,..fortunately the ones in the solarium are adult only,,,

Not sure what other lines may have indoor pools open to all ????

Some Princess ships have one pool covered. These pools are not adults only so your kids can go anytime.

Sapphire Princess

Diamond Princess

Star Princess

Grand Princess

Golden Princess

Island Princess

Coral Princess

The Island and Coral are undergoing big renos and I don't know if that is affecting the pools or not so do check if you are considering them.

There are also many times when the outdoor hot tubs are used as children's pools in cooler weather although not intended for that purpose.,,..fortunately the ones in the solarium are adult only,,,

Not sure what other lines may have indoor pools open to all ????

Yes. Princess and HAL have covered, heated pools. Personally, I wouldn't do Alaska or a cold weather cruise without one.

Pool rules and polices can vary ship to ship and itinerary to itinerary.

Generally the policy is:

• All pools and whirlpools have posted operating hours, that my vary day to day and pool to pool - verify hours in Celebrity Today
  • Solarium pool is for 16 and over all the time
  • Outdoor pools are for anyone anytime
  • Whirlpools are always for 16 and over, both indoors and outdoors
  • Outdoor pools kids under 16 (I think that is the threshold, but not positive) must be supervised by an adult at all times.

On some itneraries, especially ones with many kids, or those with cool or inclement weather,

• They may add a "family time" for an hour or 2 each day or certain days in solarium
  • They may earmark one of the 2 outdoor pool spaces for children only, and the other adults only

The Crusie Director and Captain will make all determinations as to exceptions to the general policy.

We are on an Alaskan cruise this summer and I called the Captain's Club number to ask this very question. We are traveling with our family including 10 and 12 year olds. They said on Alaskan cruises the solarium is opened to children each day for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. I forget the exact times she said but something like 11:00 - 12:00 am and 3:00 -4:00 pm.