daily service charge

megann831

It isn't a tip and it isn't a discretionary service and you well know it.

That you constantly try to infect people with this nonsense is truly disturbing.

Please, go back to your bridge.

I absolutely know it IS a tip and the service charge IS discretionary. I know that because it's common sense and NCL spells it out in black and white terms. Either your reading comprehension is lacking or you are in total denial. The 'nonsense' you speak of is actually fact.

The only problem with your attempted jab is that you are wrong.....school is not out here yet. Go figure. :rolleyes:

It just means that at a certain time of day the posting on here goes haywire. Hence "school is out" no more teacher watching. How you could possibly take such offense personally to a playful term directed at no one in particular is beyond me. I really can't believe you took such a thing so literally. Wow.

Edited by LMaxwell

It just means that at a certain time of day the posting on here goes haywire. Hence "school is out" no more teacher watching. How you could possibly take such offense personally to a playful term directed at no one in particular is beyond me. I really can't believe you took such a thing so literally. Wow.

Actually, I'm surprised you even respond to me without security around you based on your post #416.

No worries though, I can correct the problem <User CP.......Edit ignore List.....Click.....Done> :D

Actually, I'm surprised you even respond to me without security around you based on your post #416.

No worries though, I can correct the problem <User CP.......Edit ignore List.....Click.....Done> :D

Edit: Beware of this guy. Not stable.

Edited by LMaxwell

So amongst all of the childish bickering that seems to be going on here....

We have just come off the Epic having sailed Disney last time.

DCL gave us envelopes that we left in our cabin and on our tables that said we had given xx amount of tips to xx person, there were 3 people - Header Server, Server, Ass Server and Cabin Steward. Main server I resented paying for various reasons but we will not go there, I still left the money.

On NCL it states that the service charge is for gratuities for the people that work behind the scenes to give us a good vacation.

Do these people actually see all of this money or do NCL keep some of it for themselves?

But to add - for us here in the UK, a gratuity is another word for a tip, it is an additional amount of money paid for a service provided. Why should we be leaving more? I left a gift for our cabin steward though. :confused: But if it is the same as Disney, is $16 a day from our cabin not enough of a tip? It's not like we are the only cabin - he had at least 10 to do which is $160 a day in tips - or to put it another way, $1000 a week on top of any wage they get. And people are putting others down for not leaving 'more'?

In fact, our NCL Cruise Advisor told us to remove the gratuities for the children as they did not think children should have pay it. We did pay it, but NCL Cruise Advisors are telling people to get it removed for the children.

Actually, I am just remembering getting screwed over on South Beach.

In the UK a gratuity - tip - is automatically added to some restaurant bills if there are more than 6 people dining, otherwise they are optional.

So we went to South Beach and we got shafted on the cost of dinner (my head was in holiday mode, will not happen again!!) and I noticed when paying that an 'automatic gratuity' had been added so I assumed this was the 'tip' and I had the waiter come back and ask if he had done something wrong. I said no (I was lying but we just wanted to get out) and he said we had not left a tip and I said 'but it is included on the bill' pointing out the charge and he said that no, that was a different kind of service charge.

I actually sat open mouthed and paid the additional money - ended up with a cheap burger meal costing us almost $120 - $50 of which was 'gratuities'. Still stings now.

We have been to the US a lot and we have never seen an additional service charge added on in this way.

Happily, once my future cruise with NCL is complete I won't have to read the snarky opinions from you and others as I won't be perusing the NCL boards since there will be no addition cruises with NCL. NCL's product is already low on the totem pole compared to other cruise lines and posts such as yours and others here make it an even less desirable product (actually, not desirable at all). Good job at driving that final nail into the coffin. :)

Thank God for small favors granted!

In the UK a gratuity - tip - is automatically added to some restaurant bills if there are more than 6 people dining, otherwise they are optional.

So we went to South Beach and we got shafted on the cost of dinner (my head was in holiday mode, will not happen again!!) and I noticed when paying that an 'automatic gratuity' had been added so I assumed this was the 'tip' and I had the waiter come back and ask if he had done something wrong. I said no (I was lying but we just wanted to get out) and he said we had not left a tip and I said 'but it is included on the bill' pointing out the charge and he said that no, that was a different kind of service charge.

I actually sat open mouthed and paid the additional money - ended up with a cheap burger meal costing us almost $120 - $50 of which was 'gratuities'. Still stings now.

We have been to the US a lot and we have never seen an additional service charge added on in this way.

This illustrates perfectly what a half-assed, cockamamie, medieval, broken system that tipping is.

Advertise the full price for the product/service; cost into that price the material, labour and overheads and a profit and everyone knows where they stand.

I am fully aware of the US cruise lines business model - (I follow it when I cruise with them (albeit reluctantly)) - but it is a fundamentally flawed, exploitative and outdated way to remunerate a hard-working crew.

This illustrates perfectly what a half-assed, cockamamie, medieval, broken system that tipping is.

Advertise the full price for the product/service; cost into that price the material, labour and overheads and a profit and everyone knows where they stand.

I'm sure it's been stated before, but obviously there are financial implications associated with wrapping the DSC up into the fare. These implications likely outweigh the importance of the customer's perception.

And people are putting others down for not leaving 'more'?.

Not generally, no. Whilst many people do leave more, I don't remember many comments about whether they should. Additional tips are not expected, and I see very little criticism of people not leaving them.

I'm sure it's been stated before, but obviously there are financial implications associated with wrapping the DSC up into the fare. These implications likely outweigh the importance of the customer's perception.

But, some "customers" believe they know better than the executives running these multimillion dollar operations. :eek:

Not generally, no. Whilst many people do leave more, I don't remember many comments about whether they should. Additional tips are not expected, and I see very little criticism of people not leaving them.

OK, I admit I did not read the full 23 pages but about half of the comments I did see it was implied that extra was expected to be given.

Thanks for clarifying.

That was, in fact, South Beach, and yes, the waiter was screwing you. Locals just tell them off and leave.

But, some "customers" believe they know better than the executives running these multimillion dollar operations. :eek:

Not everyone has the understanding of accounting and tax - especially in regards to an industry they know little about.

I too have wondered why it is not just included but tax reasons makes sense - however, if they are getting money into account for whatever reason it should be going through the accounting system somehow.

(FWIW Gratuities are included and not expected on UK based cruise ships like P&O and Thomson)

Aren't NCL registered in the Bahamas? There are no taxes payable there.... I have to go and think about this as you should be taxed at source and, as far as I know, I am paying a UK company for my cruise, hence paying in GBP. This is why the shops in the ports are not open and no doubt your card is charged before arrival back into the jurisdiction of the USA.

OK, I admit I did not read the full 23 pages but about half of the comments I did see it was implied that extra was expected to be given.

Thanks for clarifying.

Right at the beginning of this thread someone stated that he assumed people removed the DSC as he saw cash tips around. We were just responding saying that the two didn't necessarily go together, and they were probably additional tips.

Nobody seemed to be suggesting that others should do the same, just reporting what they do.

I just flicked through the first 5 pages (before I started to lose the will to continue), and didn't see any criticism of people for not leaving extra.

Right at the beginning of this thread someone stated that he assumed people removed the DSC as he saw cash tips around. We were just responding saying that the two didn't necessarily go together, and they were probably additional tips.

Nobody seemed to be suggesting that others should do the same, just reporting what they do.

I just flicked through the first 5 pages (before I started to lose the will to continue), and didn't see any criticism of people for not leaving extra.

Ah, no worries, I was reading backwards and the quote after someone said that it was an included gratuity was something like 'you know that it's not and you should be leaving something for the staff' and a couple more implied that but there was bickering too. Maybe I misread the quotes. It doesn't matter. I have my answer, thank you. :)

That was, in fact, South Beach, and yes, the waiter was screwing you. Locals just tell them off and leave.

Yep. I figured. It only ever happens once to me.

My head was 'hey, first day of the holiday, we are in Miami'. As I say, it only ever happens once as I know what to look out for next time.

But I am still annoyed. I should have stuck a $1 bill in there and told him to do one!!!!

Not everyone has the understanding of accounting and tax - especially in regards to an industry they know little about.

I too have wondered why it is not just included but tax reasons makes sense - however, if they are getting money into account for whatever reason it should be going through the accounting system somehow.

(FWIW Gratuities are included and not expected on UK based cruise ships like P&O and Thomson)

Aren't NCL registered in the Bahamas? There are no taxes payable there.... I have to go and think about this as you should be taxed at source and, as far as I know, I am paying a UK company for my cruise, hence paying in GBP. This is why the shops in the ports are not open and no doubt your card is charged before arrival back into the jurisdiction of the USA.

They are included on Thomson but not PandO, although they are a lot cheaper than most at £4 a day pp ($6).

Edited by bobstheboy

On NCL it states that the service charge is for gratuities for the people that work behind the scenes to give us a good vacation.

Do these people actually see all of this money or do NCL keep some of it for themselves?

No one really knows about seeing "all of the money", but what I have come to believe is accurate is that the DSC money is pooled and distributed in the form of cash and benefits to the crew proportionally. But, your guess is as good as mine. On NCL, the employees seem happy with the arrangement so I don't worry too much about it.

In tipping environments, like on Disney with the envelopes, the person receiving the tip might be honor bound to share his tip with his support staff (for example, in our land based restaurants, the waiter is tipped and then shares that tip "voluntarily" with the drink server, bartender and busser who cleans up the table). The NCL system at least removes this voluntary aspect of it to ensure that all the people entitled to the money receive it.

Our tax laws are complex on this issue, and some waiters take advantage of it. A restaurant can charge a "Service Charge" and it belongs to the restaurant, not the server. In most cases, the restaurant divides up the service charge into the paychecks of the people waiting on that table, the waiter, the drink server or bar tender and the busser. But they can keep it to themselves. Often this arrangement is the result of a restaurant having been sanctioned by our taxing authority (the IRS), or because they feel they might be sanctioned because the waiters are not claiming the tips they make as income.

Unfortunately, I think your waiter took advantage of you, and I'm truly sorry about that. I never add an additional tip if there is a service charge on the bill, and ask to speak to the manager if the waiter complains. If a restaurant in a major US city was actually taking the service charge and not distributing it proportionally among the waiter, busser and bartender then that waiter, busser and bartender would quit and go to a restaurant that has a more equitable arrangement.