what to do in nassau

martini girl

I have heard that this is a dangerous port and doesn't look like RCI offers alot of excursions other than Paradise Island which is a huge rip off. Is there a decent beach close by that you can take a cab to without fear of being mugged or worse? It's been many years since we have been to Nassau

Edited by martini girl

thanks Bob, do you know anything about cable beach

Nice hotels on Cable Beach. You would need to take a taxi or bus to get there. Don't know the taxi fare, but you could jump on the #10 bus in front of McDonalds and get to Cable Beach for $1.50 per person, one-way.

We walked to Junkanoo Beach beach last year with our three kids 17,16,12 last year. During the day we had no problems, after dark may be a different story. We spent two nights in port and heard sirens on several occasions. They were doing some sort of repair on Enchantment is why we stayed.

I have heard that this is a dangerous port and doesn't look like RCI offers alot of excursions other than Paradise Island which is a huge rip off. Is there a decent beach close by that you can take a cab to without fear of being mugged or worse? It's been many years since we have been to Nassau

We have cruised to Nassau many times. I am a retired federal LE officer and have never seen any events that would cause me to think Nassau was any more dangerous than and other small urban environment.

We live near Orlando where millions come to the attractions every year. There are neighborhoods there that you would not want to go to as a tourist. Same thing with Nassau. Just stay on the beaten path in the port area and you will have lots to do.

The previous recommendations are excellent!

My wife and I have visited Nassau a few times over the years. Never felt threatened . Getting off the ship can be a bit of a scrum but it seems very safe. Our favourite is Cabbage beach which is beautiful and only water taxi and a little walk away.

Nassau is not "threatening" to tourist who stay in the tourist areas..just don't wander off the "beaten path". Just like anywhere! There are plenty of neighborhoods in my town that no one should venture to....like any city!

Edited by cb at sea

Hey Martini Girl......We are not big fans of Nassau, but we purchased a day beach pass for the British Colonial Hilton. It was recommended by a CC person. It was reasonable, short walk from the ship (no cab fare) The grounds are beautiful and safe. I would do it again & would highly recommend it. ;)

I visited there last April with my S/O. We got off the ship early to check out Nassau and decided to walk to Junkanoo Beach and it was pretty crappy (IMO) and there weren't any sidewalks I think so that was sort of dangerous. Nothing was open yet and it just didn't look appealing really. So, we walked back through town and checked out the straw market and other shops and some buildings. Got BACK on the ship and loaded up a beach bag, grabbed some water bottles, had a beer (we like to drink) and then took a non-ship excursion to Paradise Island run by locals. It was $4/pp there and back I think, insanely reasonable. The guide gave us a nice tour and said he'd be back at a certain time. From there we walked through Atlantis and went to the beach. It was packed but very nice. We rented a couple chairs ($10pp) and just relaxed. The walk was pretty long and it was hot, so maybe flag down a cab. Also - their coconut rum drinks ($10, unlimited refills) were not good. But I have an insane sweet tooth so they just might not have been sweet enough.

We walked to Junkanoo Beach ONCE and was not impressed. There was trash on the beach and broken bottles. The restrooms were out of order and flooded and some of the locals hanging around were very sketchy.

My husband had been in law enforcement for 40 years and he was uncomfortable with the whole scene.

Maybe we caught them on a bad day....but we won't go back.

Hey Martini Girl......We are not big fans of Nassau' date=' but we purchased a day beach pass for the British Colonial Hilton. It was recommended by a CC person. It was reasonable, short walk from the ship (no cab fare) The grounds are beautiful and safe. I would do it again & would highly recommend it. ;)[/quote']

How long a walk? Is it worth it if only there for a few hours? Any beach rentals like rafts or floats?