New ship to Long Beach, CA?

Alexv500

So carnival has been moving around some ships because of the new Carnival Vista. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any possible ships that might get repositioned to Long Beach, CA? It's time we get a nice ship here in California. A ship with 2.0 features would be great! It would definitely attract more cruisers in California. So what are some ships that might be sent to CA? I've read rumors of the Splendor returning, Miracle going to either down under in Australia or going to Tampa? Even read that the Valor might get sent here?

most likely, no. nobody know what is coming to long beach, ca. and carnival has made no mention of anything of the sort.

the west coast cruise market remains weak, and the ships that are there are still at 'bargain' prices. the supply / demand equation remains weak, and although perhaps demand would increase with a 'better ship', cruise lines remain conservative in that regard.

splendor was the 'new ship' they sent to the west coast, and failed miserably (its own conditions considered, in terms of the fire, swine flu, etc.) but it did.

nobody is racing to put new big ships on the west coast as prices for what is there are depressed, and there is limited 'short cruise' itineraries, 7 days or less, that would command a premium.

to put any post panamax class ship (anything bigger than fantasy or spirit class) would require an at least 49 day trip around south america. it is not realistic.

people in tampa say that miracle should return to tampa. because they want a better ship just like you do. but it's actually better suited to CA imo. blame australia for a lack of spirit class ships :)

Miracle will be getting some new things in March.

Whether those are good are a matter of opinion.

She won't be getting anything exciting. No waterworks, no guys burgers, no Redfrog rumbar. Pretty much just going for maintenance. I was going to book Miracle because I thought it was going to get the 2.0 features like the Pride did, but when I found it wasn't, booked a princess cruise from San Pedro.

most likely, no. nobody know what is coming to long beach, ca. and carnival has made no mention of anything of the sort.

the west coast cruise market remains weak, and the ships that are there are still at 'bargain' prices. the supply / demand equation remains weak, and although perhaps demand would increase with a 'better ship', cruise lines remain conservative in that regard.

splendor was the 'new ship' they sent to the west coast, and failed miserably (its own conditions considered, in terms of the fire, swine flu, etc.) but it did.

nobody is racing to put new big ships on the west coast as prices for what is there are depressed, and there is limited 'short cruise' itineraries, 7 days or less, that would command a premium.

to put any post panamax class ship (anything bigger than fantasy or spirit class) would require an at least 49 day trip around south america. it is not realistic.

people in tampa say that miracle should return to tampa. because they want a better ship just like you do. but it's actually better suited to CA imo. blame australia for a lack of spirit class ships :)

You're right, it would be nice to have a nice ship again, I loved the Splendor so much and was heart broken when it left. Yet to try the Miracle, maybe next year, but haven't read the best reviews on it. I'm praying for a MIRACLE here that Carnival might send a ship like maybe the Valor out here and give the Miracle to Tampa

Lack of demand on west coast is not a matter of people not wanting to curise, but a lace of places to cruise. The short cruises off Fl have many places withing range to cruise to.

Even for longer 7 day cruises, there are a few ports in Mexico and thats it. Alaska is a limited season and many of the ports are further north of LA and SD. Just my opinion.

California Coastal (with stop in Ensenada-but maybe San Diego or Monterey or San Francisco?), Pacific Northwest (stop in Vancouver-and Seattle? San Francisco? An Oregon port? I know Princess uses one up that way...).

There are options, I feel like variety will help drive the west coast into more demand. One can only do so many 4 days to Catalina/Ensenada. Once you've done it, you've done it. We're doing it 3 times and by the end of that, I will be over it. It's the same ship doing the same thing, over and over. And while it's nice, it'd be nice to switch it up. I'd LOVE a 5 day option here and there.

She won't be getting anything exciting. No waterworks, no guys burgers, no Redfrog rumbar. Pretty much just going for maintenance. I was going to book Miracle because I thought it was going to get the 2.0 features like the Pride did, but when I found it wasn't, booked a princess cruise from San Pedro.

The Rum Bar is nothing special and Guy's

is overrated. The looping video just adds more (annoying) noise to the Lido. Experienced both on the Conquest.

Edited by SadieN

California Coastal (with stop in Ensenada-but maybe San Diego or Monterey or San Francisco?), Pacific Northwest (stop in Vancouver-and Seattle? San Francisco? An Oregon port? I know Princess uses one up that way...).

There are options, I feel like variety will help drive the west coast into more demand.

We did one of those Pacific Coastal cruises last September on Princess and absolutely LOVED it (link to our photo review below). And we are not from the west coast. We flew from Georgia and considered the cruise well worth the longer flight. My wife and I both agreed that it was one of the best cruises we've ever taken.

I do agree that the options are not as plentiful on the west coast, but there ARE options. There has been a recent increase in ships calling on Los Angeles and San Diego. Princess, Norwegian, Holland America, and Disney are all sailing from the west coast now. Even Royal Caribbean who has been absent for years will be dipping their toes in that market this year.

Blame Pangea and tech tonic plates. There's just no islands over there. And the stops and beaches just don't cut it to attract people. We did it once, enjoyed it, but knowing what we did we would have been better off with another Caribbean cruise. There's no turquoise water nor white sands.

We love the Spirit Class ships the way they are. We also thought the Miracle was getting more of the 2.0 upgrades but not having a hamburger restaurant or a taco bar won't upset us at all! Those are not the types of food that make us drool with anticipation!

We enjoy some water activities but don't cruise to lay out on a beach and drink. We like exploring so adding some ports inside the Sea of Cortez or farther down the coast of Mexico or even coastal going north from LA would be fine with us. Princess does coastal cruises so why not Carnival??

We did one of those Pacific Coastal cruises last September on Princess and absolutely LOVED it (link to our photo review below). And we are not from the west coast. We flew from Georgia and considered the cruise well worth the longer flight. My wife and I both agreed that it was one of the best cruises we've ever taken.

I do agree that the options are not as plentiful on the west coast, but there ARE options. There has been a recent increase in ships calling on Los Angeles and San Diego. Princess, Norwegian, Holland America, and Disney are all sailing from the west coast now. Even Royal Caribbean who has been absent for years will be dipping their toes in that market this year.

I keep hearing so many good reviews on the California Coastals! Might be doing one on Princess next year! Going on my first Princess cruise next month to the Mexican Riviera. There have been more cruises from here, which is a very good sign. Carnival even sent a third ship here last year and Princess is sending another ship to San Pedro which is making its way over here as we speak. Carnival needs more options here.

Princess is the leader here in California for its variety in itineraries, and if Carnival wants to compete, they need to add some different itineraries to attract more cruisers.

Edited by Alexv500

I would love that as well. Will have to go on Royal or Princess to do those itineraries that are a bit longer. NCL I believe has repo cruises but they are shorter.

I keep hearing so many good reviews on the California Coastals! Might be doing one on Princess next year! Going on my first Princess cruise next month to the Mexican Riviera. There have been more cruises from here, which is a very good sign. Carnival even sent a third ship here last year and Princess is sending another ship to San Pedro which is making its way over here as we speak. Carnival needs more options here.

Princess is the leader here in California for its variety in itineraries, and if Carnival wants to compete, they need to add some different itineraries to attract more cruisers.

Since Princess and Carnival are corprate cousins I would not say that competing is high on Carnival's priority list.

Edited by jwalk03

We love the Spirit Class ships the way they are. We also thought the Miracle was getting more of the 2.0 upgrades but not having a hamburger restaurant or a taco bar won't upset us at all! Those are not the types of food that make us drool with anticipation!

We enjoy some water activities but don't cruise to lay out on a beach and drink. We like exploring so adding some ports inside the Sea of Cortez or farther down the coast of Mexico or even coastal going north from LA would be fine with us. Princess does coastal cruises so why not Carnival??

The Miracle is doing an expanded MR itin January 2016---Cabo, La Paz, PV, Mazatlan, and Zihuatenejo.

We've done two Sea of Cortez cruises with Princess.

Since Princess and Carnival are corprate cousins I would not say that competing is high on Carnival's priority list.

Even if Princess and Carnival have ships departing from the same port, sailing on the same exact itinerary, and departing on the same exact day, they target a difference clientele, so they are not necessarily competing, but complementing each other. Carnival snags the budget minded cruiser that otherwise may sail on Norwegian while Princess snags the more discerning cruiser that otherwise may sail on Celebrity.

The only reason Carnival gave us the Splendor was because RCI was moving the Mariner here for it's short lived run on the west coast.

Disney moved out before their contract was even up.

It's sad, I guess it boiled down to either not being able to fill the ships and/or onboard spending or lack there of. Also, the reputation Mexico has no matter what the truth is.

Edited by tonit964

The only reason Carnival gave us the Splendor was because RCI was moving the Mariner here for it's short lived run on the west coast.

Disney moved out before their contract was even up.

It's sad, I guess it boiled down to either not being able to fill the ships and/or onboard spending or lack there of. Also, the reputation Mexico has no matter what the truth is.

Disney is returning to San Diego this year for a few cruises. And they must be selling VERY VERY well, because the prices are outrageous!! Like 4K for an interior for a 5 day cruise! (I booked the day the fares were released and got an interior for 3 for only $1700)

I think the west coast is slowly coming back, but it will take time. And no large ships will be coming until the Panama Canal is completed. It's too costly and time consuming to sail all the way around South America.

If Mexico could holds its act together with all the drug violence that would also greatly help the west coast. People are far more likely to want to cruise from the west coast with a wider variety of safe ports to visit in Mexico.

We got sucked in with a cheap fare that included airfare. The cruise itself just had a different flavor to it, and the ports of call were disappointing.

Add to that the sea day in and out of LA is always unusually cold, enveloping 4 days of extreme heat and humidity, the Caribbean was calling our names the entire week.

I did a Pacific Coastal cruise last March on Celebrity and loved it. They did a month of week long cruises out of Long Beach before they moved the ship up to Alaska. It was a great cruise and we had a port everyday. Long Beach, Santa Barbara, San Fransico (overnight/2 full days), Monteray, Catalina Island and Ensanada. The weather was fantastic and it was a very relaxing cruise. It was also dirt cheap. I mean really cheap. We ended up in an aft balcony for about a grand total.

I still need to do a Mex Riviera cruise. I know other people have moved ships back at least for a season or so. I just don't think the region is selling as well as it used to.