Jogging track

karenbeanpole

Going on the Celebrity Solstice in May. Can anyone tell me if there is a jogging track or anywhere outdoors I can jog round? Been looking at deck plans and there doesn't seem anywhere, unless I'm not seeing it. Would prefer jogging outdoors to treadmill running.

its on deck 14, around the opening to the pool below... I usually use the tracks for walking and have to go around the folks who move their chaise into the track with no consideration for those who run or walk, so beware. I'd suggest that the earlier in the day that you run the better....

Steve

Going on the Celebrity Solstice in May. Can anyone tell me if there is a jogging track or anywhere outdoors I can jog round? Been looking at deck plans and there doesn't seem anywhere, unless I'm not seeing it. Would prefer jogging outdoors to treadmill running.

We have sailed the Reflection and the Equinox. The so call track is better on the Reflection. We run 8-10 Half Marathons a year, and the 'tracks' on Celebrity are a joke, and not to be considered anything different.

IF, you get out the very early, 6-6:30 you will not have to dodge the others watching the sun rise or the waves:rolleyes: on the Solstice, like the Equinox, it really takes close to 10 loops to reach a mile on our Garmin.

OP, here's a visual for you. This is on the Eclipse (the Solstice will be pretty much the same). As others have said, go very early or very late so you aren't dodging loungers. (I have to say, though, that on the Silhouette TA this past fall, there were so many walkers up really early it was surprisingly crowded.)

WalkingTrack_zps561143be.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I did an hours walk every morning whilst on the Silhouette.

So early it was often still dark but it is just so boring! I tried counting five for a kilometre then eight for a mile then ten for two kilometres etc like the saddo I am but gave up and went by the clock as I ran out of fingers. Mind numbing. Spectactular views though as it got lighter.

Up the stairs round the top desk . . Could be slippery. Took care as often I saw nobody at all.

Then I ate ha ha.

I did an hours walk every morning whilst on the Silhouette.

So early it was often still dark but it is just so boring! I tried counting five for a kilometre then eight for a mile then ten for two kilometres etc like the saddo I am but gave up and went by the clock as I ran out of fingers. Mind numbing. Spectactular views though as it got lighter.

Up the stairs round the top desk . . Could be slippery. Took care as often I saw nobody at all.

Then I ate ha ha.

Where on a ship do you expect you would be able to jog and it not be mind numbingly boring, if watching the sun rise over the ocean is, to you, mind numbingly boring.

Many times I've been running so early I beat the crew on deck. Then I see sun rises or land afar... It is beautifully peaceful.

I agree. I'm a walker and I'm on the track when it's still dark. Love the warm Caribbean air, the stars and watching the sun come up with no crowds.

IF, you get out the very early, 6-6:30 you will not have to dodge the others watching the sun rise or the waves:rolleyes: on the Solstice, like the Equinox, it really takes close to 10 loops to reach a mile on our Garmin.

Did you use the Garmin while in port?

I bet that would show as quite the interesting track if using the GPS while at sea....

Did you use the Garmin while in port?

I bet that would show as quite the interesting track if using the GPS while at sea....

We stayed on board while docked in Columbia, and used it there.

The wifester tried it one time while sailing:eek: we have never, nor will EVER run that far so fast!:D

Edited by wallie5446

Do you happen to know the distance per round? Or how many rounds make a mile/km?

Somewhere on the track area will be a small sign with the mile/km equivalents. As said, probably 8 times around; the Millenniium class actually is longer, about 6 times around.

IF, you get out the very early, 6-6:30 you will not have to dodge the others watching the sun rise or the waves:rolleyes:

It is a joint area for runners walkers and strollers, not exclusive to any one group. The next time anyone tells me to get out the way they will get the exact opposite and a polite request to GO ROUND ME.

...So early it was often still dark but it is just so boring! I tried counting five for a kilometre then eight for a mile then ten for two kilometres etc like the saddo I am but gave up and went by the clock as I ran out of fingers. Mind numbing. Spectactular views though as it got lighter....

I guess I never get tired of the view. Up on deck as the sun is about to rise, and all through the sunrise. the views are incredible (pictures). I even like walking mid-day. The added attraction of people watching makes up for dogging the obstacles (people and chairs). While jogging or running is not practical on a nice sea day during prime time you can still walk at a pretty good pace overall with a few slow spots each lap.

I use a watch with a lap counter to keep track of the laps, you need too many laps to keep count of in your head to get any distance. I'll do 2 to 4 miles on a typical sea day.

...the Solstice, like the Equinox, it really takes close to 10 loops to reach a mile on our Garmin.

Did you measure the distance on your Garmin GPS while the ship was stationary or while it was moving? Of course measurements will be distorted with a GPS if the ship is moving. I've never tested the stated measurement but they do have signs indicating 8 laps per mile:

IMG_7744-S.jpg

Edited by Lsimon

The jogging/walking track on these ships are very annoying because they are also the main walkway to and from other venues as well, especially the buffet area, so not only do you have to contend with other exercisers but also with anyone going from one end of that deck to the other.

Those just using it as the walkway tend to meander slowly along, take up the whole track or stop and talk right in the middle, or go the wrong way. That's not even to mention the people who pull their loungers out into the walkway itself, making a hazard. I've seen people actually fall over the chairs sticking out.

Getting up earlier works much better, or, since I don't like getting up that early on a cruise, walking late in the afternoon, around 5-7 works pretty well. You also get to see the sunsets that way.

Towards the end of our last cruise I finally started walking around the track, then up the stairs and around the next level, down the stairs, etc. That way I didn't have so many laps to count, just walked by time instead.

Since the promenade deck really doesn't work for walking on Solstice class ships, there isn't much choice, except treadmills, which I hate.

I would be weary about using a Garmin to determine distance of a jogging track as they are notoriously inaccurate.

This is one area that Celebrity hasn't done right. On both M and S class, large portions of the jogging track are also the same area where lounge chairs will be during peak times around the pool. So if you really want a run, you'll have something closer to an Adventure Course. Carnival does this a lot better where the jogging track isn't shared by loungers and you could actually get in a decent run, unimpeded by obstacles (except other runners).