Internet Costs

BrisbaneGran

We will be boarding Arcadia in just over a weeks time, for a month. Can anyone tell me approx. costs of internet packages? I will be taking my own lap top, so is wi fi available in your own cabin or do you need to go to a public area etc?

I've bought a 100 minutes package for my daughter and because I ordered and paid for it pre-cruise they have added another 20 minutes free. The cost was £35 and was assured she could use it anywhere she chose.

Maggs

We will be boarding Arcadia in just over a weeks time, for a month. Can anyone tell me approx. costs of internet packages? I will be taking my own lap top, so is wi fi available in your own cabin or do you need to go to a public area etc?

You do know it is very slow.

Dependent on the tariff you have for your phone, it may be cheaper to access the internet on your phone but only when in port. If you do this, make sure you block data whilst at sea because it has a habit of downloading updates etc during the night when at sea and this can be costly. Ashore, you may be able to find free wifi. Follow the crew because they know exactly where to go!

I don't think the internet packages onboard are worth buying. You can reckon on on at least 30p per minute for a package, including special offers and it is very slow and unreliable. If you remember the old dial up internet speeds, it can be even slower than that.

Enjoy your cruise, Arcadia is a lovely ship.

Same here and if you sign up on the ship the day you board then in my experience you also get the extra 20 minutes.

...and if you have buy it in advance, you get another extra 20 minutes, and no activation fee, as long as you activate your package on the first day. So, if you buy 100 minutes in advance, you will actually get 140 minutes.

...and if you have buy it in advance, you get another extra 20 minutes, and no activation fee, as long as you activate your package on the first day. So, if you buy 100 minutes in advance, you will actually get 140 minutes.

I didn't know that.

Nor did I before I went on Azura last June.

Having prepaid a package before I sailed, I noticed the "special offer" in the daily programme - so I contacted the Internet manager onboard - pointing out that there seemed to be no benefit in prepaying - and he told me that as long as I activated my account on the day of the offer I would get another extra 20 minutes. Which I duly did!

This forum is good for ,learning something new isn't it!

If you are not going to use it much, I would just take your laptop ashore in the terminals and you normally get free wifi there.

I agree, it's soooo frustratingly slow onboard, it's not worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nor did I before I went on Azura last June.

Having prepaid a package before I sailed, I noticed the "special offer" in the daily programme - so I contacted the Internet manager onboard - pointing out that there seemed to be no benefit in prepaying - and he told me that as long as I activated my account on the day of the offer I would get another extra 20 minutes. Which I duly did!

This forum is good for ,learning something new isn't it!

It is.

thanks for all the replies. I know how slow and frustrating ship board internet can be, but as I am a junkie, I doubt I could not have access for a month! I have just got off a Seabourn ship where I have free internet, but its still just as slow....sometimes non existent. I will try the pre boarding thing and see if I can get any extra minutes. I will try to discipline myself to just emails, FB and maybe CC....will leave my blog till I get home. Will also write everything in Word, then just copy and paste when I connect.

Brisbanegran

You may find this site useful

http://crew-center.com/crew-wifi-locations-ports-worldwide

Cb

Thanks, I have seen that page, but I think my husband might get a bit cranky if I wanted to spend time on the Net whenever we got to a Port! LOL We have so many sea days, that we will want to go sightseeing once we hit land. If I can use the net at night or early morning, in my room, would be the best...I just HAVE to limit myself!!

I really think this should be free.

It can be expensive at sea - and if more people use because it is free it then it will be potentially more expensive and slower.

However that doesn't mean that it couldn't be much better managed - with a fairer charging system based on actual data use rather than time - and better data management to give the customer better value and better performance.

Sorry but nothing is ever "free" in life if P&O did stop charging for the internet then the money lost would have to be made in some other way possible increase in fares and then people would moan about that. Unfortunately some expect everything free and super low prices for cruises and P&O are a business and it doesnt work like that.

I have searched cruise personaliser and although I am able to purchase excursions, spa and restaurants, I haven't been able to find how can pre-purchase internet. How do you do it please? Thanks.