Elite question

butternut1

I have a slightly different Elite question:

We passed the magic 150 day mark on our last cruise and will taking our first sailing as Elites next month. My wife has reluctant to use the laundry perk for fear clothing will shrink if everything is dried on high. Has anyone had a problem with shrunken jeans or blouses or is she worrying too much?

You just know someone's going to make a comment on the OTHER cause why your clothes may feel tighter at disembarkation!

Seriously though, I haven't noticed any undue shrinkage. My major quarrel with the laundry is that they can be hard on zippers, and the occasional discrepancy (wrong garment, extra garment, but haven't had missing garment that I noticed). None of which stops me using them.

Edited by Wehwalt

I have a slightly different Elite question:

We passed the magic 150 day mark on our last cruise and will taking our first sailing as Elites next month. My wife has reluctant to use the laundry perk for fear clothing will shrink if everything is dried on high. Has anyone had a problem with shrunken jeans or blouses or is she worrying too much?

I was VERY hesitant about sending out our laundry just like your wife and always used the laundry facilities to wash our clothes on Princess ships. This went on for 18 cruises. Well, the last Princess cruise we went on, I finally decided to send clothes out and take advantage of our elite status. I was elated with the job they did. Almost everything including undershirts came back on hangers and looked great. I noted no shrinking at all on any of the clothes. I sent clothes out a couple more times during the cruise and again, everything came back great. I am kicking myself for not doing this before our 19th cruise. I can guarantee you that I will from hence forth take advantage of this perk!

Thanks, all.

Her concern was not that good clothes might be ruined but that we would be left with nothing to wear if most things shrunk while we expanded. :)

Sounds like the former is not much of a concern, but as long as Princess continues to make such great bread, desserts, ice cream and pizza....the latter will be an issue.

I guess we were lucky in the past. Each b2b, we've boarded with four bottles of wine or champagne. Once they saw we were on the next sailing, they let the second two bottles go through, no questions, no problem. Every time. Again, maybe we were lucky. But we're sailing this weekend on a b2b with four bottles, so we'll see :)

The question about four bottles on a B2B was discussed a couple of weeks ago. Most persons got through with the extra bottles, or had it re delivered to them on the second 'cruise' if they showed the second set of boarding passes on the first boarding.

john

Laundry: send judiciously. Not everything is done well, so if you have fancy stuff or something you can't replace, don't send it.

I agree with Pia 100%. I have noticed often when my cotton t-shirts come back, there are small holes in the fabric, as if bleach had been dropped on them or the dryer "ate" them. I love the free laundry but am selective in what I send out.

Also, with the often increased turn around times and desire to insure careful treatment of my favorite clothing items, I have started using the ship's laundry again. It's relatively inexpensive ($6 for washer and dryer) and quick (clothing is ready to wear again within a couple of hours). I use the laundry at off hours, so have had no problem with wait times. To think, after almost 30 cruises after I made elite, I have gone back to washing some of my own clothes onboard.

Laundry: send judiciously. Not everything is done well, so if you have fancy stuff or something you can't replace, don't send it.

I agree with Pia 100%. I have noticed often when my cotton t-shirts come back, there are small holes in the fabric, as if bleach had been dropped on them or the dryer "ate" them. I love the free laundry but am selective in what I send out.

Also, with the often increased turn around times and desire to insure careful treatment of my favorite clothing items, I have started using the ship's laundry again. It's relatively inexpensive ($6 for washer and dryer) and quick (clothing is ready to wear again within a couple of hours). I use the laundry at off hours, so have had no problem with wait times. To think, after almost 30 cruises after I made elite, I have gone back to washing some of my own clothes onboard.

I feel the same way & will also wash our exercise clothing in the laundromat.

Here is my recent experience with b2b2b booked as 2 7-day cruises on Regal and b2b booked as 14 day logical on Ruby.

Ruby logical: 2 mini bars, 1 internet package, and 2 bottles of wine, one of which was port. On boarding they insisted that corkage be charged for our port. As this was the first time regarding the port, I indicated surprise but told them we would be drinking in room, please charge for the other bottle. They insisted corkage must be charged for port, pointed to some paper work so I said ok. Corkage never showed up on our bill, including the other bottle of wine that we took to the restaurant. Internet package was 250 minutes I think. This was Nov 22nd cruise Thanksgiving cruise.

Regal 3 7-day b2b2b: 4 bottles of wine, 3 internet packages, 3 mini bar set ups. We took 4 bottles of wine on with us including 1 bottle of port. When boarding they told us 2 corkage fees until I told then we were on for 3 weeks so they said no problem, no corkage. Nothing said about the port. They didn't ask for anything further to confirm we were actually on for 2 weeks. We took 3 of the 4 bottles to dining rooms and were only charged corkage once. This is kind of new to us, before the Ruby we were always charged corkage in the dining rooms. Once was because we knew the waiter from several cruises, he said he wouldn't charge us. We did sign a couple of times, but I never saw the charges on our bill. Dates were 1/18, 1/25, & 2/1.

We use the laundry but I hand wash my scanties when needed. I've only had one issue with the laundry when my room steward forgot to return it on the last night. I had to call about it and then pack it in my carryons as my suitcases were already gone. I almost forgot about the items.

Edited by yoyosma

I see you've found out the hard way. :rolleyes:

Not really. But seeing what has happened to others has taught me well. Only thing they ever did to my stuff was shrink three pairs of capris; many years ago. They came back at least 2-3 sizes smaller than when they went in. Princess paid me, on the spot; $120. Cash.

Not really. But seeing what has happened to others has taught me well. Only thing they ever did to my stuff was shrink three pairs of capris; many years ago. They came back at least 2-3 sizes smaller than when they went in. Princess paid me, on the spot; $120. Cash.

When the laundry ruined a jacket of mine, (windbreaker really) I got paid $80, ten times the cleaning charge (not that I paid it). I did not mind as I had bought the jacket on the Ruby for about $50 after Elite discount, and later bought another (the black Quiksilver jacket they sell on some ships) But they wouldn't pay me on the spot, I got a check in about three weeks.

Edited by Wehwalt

When the laundry ruined a jacket of mine, (windbreaker really) I got paid $80, ten times the cleaning charge (not that I paid it). I did not mind as I had bought the jacket on the Ruby for about $50 after Elite discount, and later bought another (the black Quiksilver jacket they sell on some ships) But they wouldn't pay me on the spot, I got a check in about three weeks.

I just remembered another item; my lightweight jacket which was originally bought on one of their ships. It traveled the world with me until the laundry broke the zipper and couldn't/wouldn't fix or replace it. Princess paid me $45 for that one (check a few weeks later) and I know I never paid anywhere near that price.

I just remembered another item; my lightweight jacket which was originally bought on one of their ships. It traveled the world with me until the laundry broke the zipper and couldn't/wouldn't fix or replace it. Princess paid me $45 for that one (check a few weeks later) and I know I never paid anywhere near that price.

Great minds think alike. Caused me to price the same item ashore and Princess did have it for $10 cheaper, the shoreside Quiksilver shops I visited had it for $65 plus tax... I guess there are bargains aboard, sort of. I like that jacket because it is light and sheds water.

Princess laundry seems hard on zipper pulls. One of my hoodies has a zipper pull it did not start life with thanks to Princess, and that is how they ruined the jacket. I don't send windbreakers/coats to the laundry much unless obviously dirty.

Edited by Wehwalt

We've noticed the same thing plus I keep finding those taped on tags after getting home. ;)

Hey. It is worth one small hole, maybe it was damaged somewhere else, caught on something on the ship or on an excursion. I can cope with finding the tags rather than doing my washing myself. Love being Elite for all the other perks. Concerned about the laundry service. You can always do it yourself

Hey. It is worth one small hole, maybe it was damaged somewhere else, caught on something on the ship or on an excursion. I can cope with finding the tags rather than doing my washing myself. Love being Elite for all the other perks. Concerned about the laundry service. You can always do it yourself

Most times we do our own- especially socks and underware. It takes only a few minutes each day & not worth the possibility of having them shrunk or lost.

They go to the laundry without those little holes & return with them so your idea about it occurring elsewhere isn't correct. Many others have had the same experience & it's just something we consider before sending out the laundry. I too am at the elite Captain's Circle level so we do not pay for our laundry & we also enjoy all of the perks. :)

I don't think your admonishment about the option to do it myself was necessary as that goes without saying. If you read my other posts we use that option for some things such as our exercise clothing or expensive items. I wasn't complaining but just sharing that like others we have also had clothing return with holes that were not previously there.

As far as the tags, apparently a ;) doesn't indicate to you that it was in jest. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer