Elite question

butternut1

Officially, if you book as one 20 day cruise, you will not become elite until the end of the 20 days. We have seen reports of people talking to the Cap. Circle Rep and getting the Elite perks for the second half.

Thanks for the reply! So it seems like it would be best to book as two separate 10 day cruises rather than one 20 day, just to be sure we get the elite perks the second segment.

Thanks for the reply! So it seems like it would be best to book as two separate 10 day cruises rather than one 20 day, just to be sure we get the elite perks the second segment.

Not Paul but he's posted similar feelings as me...consider the complete cost of the cruise including onboard credits when comparing booking as a single longer cruise or a b2b. My experience is that either way could be the cheapest & would recommend to see which way is best for your cruise.

Myself & others have booked as a longer cruise instead of a b2b and had either the onboard or HQ Captain's Circle rep give us 2 cruise credits. Once you reach the elite level whether you book as a single or b2b cruise you get an elite minibar for each cruise segment. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have 14 cruises, and doing a B2B 10 day in October, so I would become elite on the 2nd leg. So if I book it instead as a 20 day, will I still get elite benefits starting on the second leg, even if booked as a single 20 day? Thanks!

Officially, if you book as one 20 day cruise, you will not become elite until the end of the 20 days. We have seen reports of people talking to the Cap. Circle Rep and getting the Elite perks for the second half.

Current policy is to give you a cruise credit for each segment sailed no matter how booked, so you will officially have 15 credits at the end of the first segment.

Your cruise card at initial check-in might have dates on it covering the entire 20 days or just the first segment. Hard to know how Princess is doing that these days.

If you are automatically getting a new cruise card for the second segment, it may still be platinum as when they make the card you will not have fully completed that first segment.

I agree with paul929207 that you should speak with the Captain's Circle rep during the first segment to make sure you get the proper status for the second segment.

Like Astro, I feel you need to look at the cost of the cruise booked as one and as two cruises. Include the Elite perks in the "book as two cruises" calculation. Be sure to include all OBC you are eligible for.

There have been times when we saved hundreds of dollars by booking as one cruise. The Elite perks are not worth that.

Not Paul but he's posted similar feelings as me...consider the complete cost of the cruise including onboard credits when comparing booking as a single longer cruise or a b2b. My experience is that either way could be the cheapest & would recommend to see which way is best for your cruise.

Myself & others have booked as a longer cruise instead of a b2b and had either the onboard or HQ Captain's Circle rep give us 2 cruise credits. Once you reach the elite level whether you book as a single or b2b cruise you get an elite minibar for each cruise segment. :)

Good info, thanks for that Astro Flyer! We are going on the Royal in October for 20 days, so I will make sure and compare both ways of booking. :)

Current policy is to give you a cruise credit for each segment sailed no matter how booked, so you will officially have 15 credits at the end of the first segment.

Your cruise card at initial check-in might have dates on it covering the entire 20 days or just the first segment. Hard to know how Princess is doing that these days.

If you are automatically getting a new cruise card for the second segment, it may still be platinum as when they make the card you will not have fully completed that first segment.

I agree with paul929207 that you should speak with the Captain's Circle rep during the first segment to make sure you get the proper status for the second segment.

Like Astro, I feel you need to look at the cost of the cruise booked as one and as two cruises. Include the Elite perks in the "book as two cruises" calculation. Be sure to include all OBC you are eligible for.

There have been times when we saved hundreds of dollars by booking as one cruise. The Elite perks are not worth that.

Thank you Caribill and Paul! Looks like I have some calculating to do. The main elite perks that matter to me are laundry and internet minutes. And to hubby it's the mini bar, LOL! It's good to know that, from what I'm understanding is that I would receive the elite benefits the second segment regardless of how I book...as long as I visit the Captains Circle rep to let her know during the first segment. Might make things a bit complicated though.

The main elite perks that matter to me are laundry and internet minutes. And to hubby it's the mini bar, LOL!
You'll already be getting the Internet minutes as a Platinum passenger. It's the same amount for Elite. I think you will get a new package of minutes for the second cruise no matter if you book it as one cruise or two.

If there's a tender port, the priority tendering is great for us. So far, we've only had that once in our three cruises since becoming Elite.

You'll already be getting the Internet minutes as a Platinum passenger. It's the same amount for Elite. I think you will get a new package of minutes for the second cruise no matter if you book it as one cruise or two.

If there's a tender port, the priority tendering is great for us. So far, we've only had that once in our three cruises since becoming Elite.

Thanks Geoherb, I totally forgot about the priority tendering! [emoji4]

Thanks Geoherb, I totally forgot about the priority tendering! [emoji4]

Remember that means we can join the back of the tender line without getting a tender ticket & waiting for a group in the dining room.

Occasionally some elite passengers wave their "black card" like it's a magic-wand & try to go to the front of the tender line. That's wrong & it's clearly stated in the elite benefits including the letter provided in your cabin explaining all of the elite benefits. Including joining the line for priority tendering (only to port) & not to push to the front of the line waving a "black card" which I doubt you'd ever do. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Remember that means we can join the back of the tender line without getting a tender ticket & waiting for a group in the dining room.

Occasionally some elite passengers wave their "black card" like it's a magic-wand & try to go to the front of the tender line. That's wrong & it's clearly stated in the elite benefits including the letter provided in your cabin explaining all of the elite benefits. Including joining the line for priority tendering (only to port) & not to push to the front of the line waving a "black card" which I doubt you'd ever do. ;)

That's interesting! I would never try and cut the line or do anything so obnoxious just because of a black card...It is kind of sad that people would resort to such bad behavior! [emoji15]

When I have a concern about water temp I send along a note saying how I want it washed and what temp to was it in. It worked!

We used to do the same thing until learning from those who have taken the Ultimate Ship Tour that the laundry uses a chemical liquid washing solution for all clothes.

We used to do the same thing until learning from those who have taken the Ultimate Ship Tour that the laundry uses a chemical liquid washing solution for all clothes.

So your saying that both the "laundry" and "cleaning" process use a chemical liquid?

We also have been indicating cold wash, cool dry on all out tickets & haven't had any items shrunk to date....but I still don't trust them with anything of value.

Maybe we've just been lucky.

So your saying that both the "laundry" and "cleaning" process use a chemical liquid?

"Laundry" is the traditional method, water in giant washing machines.

"Claeaning" is the replacement process for "dry cleaning." "Dry cleaning" used chemicals (mainly carbon tetrachloride) which are no longer used on land or at sea due to environmental and health concerns. Instead a different chemical liquid is used, both at sea and on land.

"Laundry" is the traditional method, water in giant washing machines.

"Claeaning" is the replacement process for "dry cleaning." "Dry cleaning" used chemicals (mainly carbon tetrachloride) which are no longer used on land or at sea due to environmental and health concerns. Instead a different chemical liquid is used, both at sea and on land.

That's what I though but was trying to get clarification to the post from Astro Flyer. I've never heard of washing using a chemical based liquid- only hot water & super hot dryers.

That's what I though but was trying to get clarification to the post from Astro Flyer. I've never heard of washing using a chemical based liquid- only hot water & super hot dryers.

As I wrote that was what I've read many times on this forum by people who have taken the UST but having never paid $150 for it do not have any personal knowledge about it. I hope that it uses water instead however posts from those who have taken these tours which include the laundry say otherwise. Hopefully someone with direct knowledge will read this discussion & post their experience. However based on previous discussions about this subject I am doubtful if they use water to launder clothing.

As I wrote that was what I've read many times on this forum by people who have taken the UST but having never paid $150 for it do not have any personal knowledge about it. I hope that it uses water instead however posts from those who have taken these tours which include the laundry say otherwise. Hopefully someone with direct knowledge will read this discussion & post their experience. However based on previous discussions about this subject I am doubtful if they use water to launder clothing.

I'm suspecting that those that have taken the tour are a little confused as to what they actually use to launder clothing. They hear the words chemical liquid & apply it to everything.

I'm suspecting that those that have taken the tour are a little confused as to what they actually use to launder clothing. They hear the words chemical liquid & apply it to everything.

Hopefully you're correct. ;)

As I recall reading (not always 100% recollection :p) that people I find very credible like Pam in CA in discussions about dry cleaning say that it uses the same laundry liquid for "laundry" & not water. I've also been told the same thing by cabin stewards but as we know not everything crew tells us is always accurate.

Throughout the years I've read many posts on CC that provided accurate info without any advance personal experience but hope this is wrong.

Edited by Astro Flyer

During our UST this past November, Star Princess uses the Aquatex Wash System that uses water. No more dry cleaning solvents. They will do Hand Spot Removing where required.

Thanks for sharing that info & happy to know that's the current procedure. :)

During our UST this past November, Star Princess uses the Aquatex Wash System that uses water. No more dry cleaning solvents. They will do Hand Spot Removing where required.

That is what replaced dry cleaning.

It is not used for regular laundry.

Hopefully you're correct. ;)

As I recall reading (not always 100% recollection :p) that people I find very credible like Pam in CA in discussions about dry cleaning say that it uses the same laundry liquid for "laundry" & not water. I've also been told the same thing by cabin stewards but as we know not everything crew tells us is always accurate.

Throughout the years I've read many posts on CC that provided accurate info without any advance personal experience but hope this is wrong.

All I know for sure is that if I send them my shirts, socks or underwear to "wash" and don't tell them cold wash, cool dry they'll shrink them for sure. I've begun to do-it-myself using their shampoo which works pretty good.

Using the "cleaning" process I've been lucky so far & nothing has been shrink but I've never sent in a shirt for "cleaning" only jeans and dress pants.

We're getting closer to Elite and I am wondering exactly what a "mini-bar setup" contains?

Would anyone consider posting their "elite benefit letter" from their cabin (with personal information removed, of course)?

Thanks!

The mini bar setup is: 8 little bottles of booze, 6 cans of soft drinks, 2 bottles Perrier, 2 bottles water and 2 bottles beer. Little boozies are vodka, gin, cognac and scotch. Beer is usually Dos Equis.

You can change booze for anything, you can exchange beer for soft drinks, and water, you can exchange soft drinks for water. In other words, you can exchange down, but not up. Value wise.

You can get 1.5 litre bottles of water. I think I read someplace the going rate was eight bottles, but the only time I did it, it was nine. But now that I know the going rate for surplus coffee cards on eBay, that makes the water rather expensive.